Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Take This Impeachment And Shove It...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Ken Starr says there's no hope of impeachment because there was no crime.
    The Founders made clear that an impeachable or convictable offense need not be a crime. Hamilton said it applied to 'the misconduct of public men.'

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...mn/2479066001/
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

They didn't even have second or third hand knowledge of wrongdoing. When John Ratcliffe asked them directly if either one could name an impeachable offense committed by the President, neither one said a word.
      Taylor said that he was there to give an account of what he knew and that it wasn’t his job to decide what’s impeachable.

Also where I’m from hearsay is admissible if the maker is not available (not available having different meanings in civil and criminal) but this isn’t a judicial process so rules of evidence don’t even apply so Trump can whinge all he wants but it’s only making him look desperate.

The democrats were given the power to do exactly what they’re doing by the people in 2018 so he should stop whinging and whining on twitter and order his staff to go and testify. That’s the quickest way to end this if he has nothing to hide.

Comment

• Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
        Taylor said that he was there to give an account of what he knew and that it wasn’t his job to decide what’s impeachable.
        In other words, a cop out.

As for hearsay, "Bill told me that John did X" is not admissible as evidence that John did X.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
          The Founders made clear that an impeachable or convictable offense need not be a crime. Hamilton said it applied to 'the misconduct of public men.'

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...mn/2479066001/
          The Constitution explicitly defines impeachment as a remedy for "high crimes and misdemeanors" and gives two examples of impeachable offenses so as to eliminate any confusion as to what might constitute "high crimes and misdemeanors". There is no ambiguity here, but Democrats are desperately trying to create some because they know impeachment is a lost cause without it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Starlight View Post
            Republicans: The only witnesses that count are people who spoke directly to the president.

Also Republicans: No one who spoke directly to the president will be allowed to testify.

Nonsense, what was also made clear yesterday was that on three different occasions President Zelensky said was he was not pressured, was never told that the military aid was tied to any investigation. In response to this Schiff basically called Zelensky a liar. It's done - stick a fork in it... Trump 2020...
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• McConnell has said that if this thing goes to trial in the Senate that no hearsay evidence and no anonymous testimony will be allowed

Comment

McConnell has said that if this thing goes to trial in the Senate that no hearsay evidence and no anonymous testimony will be allowed
                So what do they have left?
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

• "Ambassador Sondland did not tell us, and certainly did not tell me, about a connection between the assistance and the investigations."
                  -Ukraine Foreign Minister Vadym Prystaiko

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1XO1HK

Comment

• Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
                    It takes a great deal more than one proven lie to lose all credibility with the jury. Unless their whole testimony was just that one lie.
                    Not hardly. Whole cases have been dismissed on less.
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

McConnell has said that if this thing goes to trial in the Senate that no hearsay evidence and no anonymous testimony will be allowed
                      There goes the whole case...
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• The hilarious part is that if this goes to trial (which may involve actual physical beatings of Dem moderates at this point), the Democrats will scream the Republicans are 'covering it up' - by having a fair trial!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

"Ambassador Sondland did not tell us, and certainly did not tell me, about a connection between the assistance and the investigations."
                          -Ukraine Foreign Minister Vadym Prystaiko

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1XO1HK
                          OK, so as we found out yesterday - President Zelenskiy said three different times that he was not pressured and that aid was not tied to the possible investigations (Schiff basically called him a liar). Now Foreign Minister Prystaiko who was dealing directly with Sondland says the same. If the person being extorted wasn't actually being extorted where is the crime?

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                            Not hardly. Whole cases have been dismissed on less.
                            Indeed. Once the credibility of a witness has been impeached on one point, the court can't start arbitrarily picking and choosing which parts of his testimony to believe.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                              There goes the whole case...
                              So, you're all counting on Moscow Mitch to keep your obviously corrupt and treasonous dear leader in the White House, huh. You people must be really ashamed of yourselves. If you're not, you will be in the future when you have to deny having been a defender of the Treasonous Trump.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                                So, you're all counting on Moscow Mitch to keep your obviously corrupt and treasonous dear leader in the White House, huh. You people must be really ashamed of yourselves. If you're not, you will be in the future when you have to deny having been a defender of the Treasonous Trump.
                                Dude, this thing is so bad for the Dems that I'm not even sure they going ahead with articles. This crap can't stand up to basic courtroom standards - McConnell doesn't need anything more than that.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment