Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Take This Impeachment And Shove It...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DivineOb
    replied
    I just called her office and here is what I was told.

The senator was "misquoted" in that article.
    The Senator has always and continues to support Pelosi on her handling of impeachment.
    An impeachment trial must include all relevant witnesses and documents.

Make of that what you will.
    Last edited by DivineOb; 01-09-2020, 12:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• One Bad Pig
    replied
    Originally posted by JimL View Post
    You obviously didn't read the article, OBP. But who really cares whence came her genius.
    What I said is well supported from the snipped MM quoted, genius.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    This was just too good - and probably the only time I've fully agreed with Sen. Feinstein.

Source: Fox News

Even Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., called out Pelosi for the delay.
    “The longer it goes on, the less urgent it becomes,” Feinstein told Politico. “So if it’s serious and urgent, send them over. If it isn’t, don’t send it over.”

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Last edited by Teallaura; 01-09-2020, 11:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JimL
    replied
    Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    More accurately, she got the idea from watching John Dean on CNN, who as Nixon White House counsel is slightly more qualified than CNN to opine on such matters.
    You obviously didn't read the article, OBP. But who really cares whence came her genius.

Leave a comment:

• DivineOb
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Apparently Nancy is such a brilliant tactician that she's taking her cues from CNN...
    As I've said elsewhere, I was aware of the strategy to hold on to the articles since late November (from a Twitter thread). I don't believe her that she first heard of it on December 5th (sorry Nance, still love you).

Leave a comment:

• One Bad Pig
    replied
    Apparently Nancy is such a brilliant tactician that she's taking her cues from CNN...

Time reported Thursday that Pelosi was inspired by an on-air suggestion from John Dean, the disgraced former White House counsel for President Richard Nixon who went to federal prison for his role in the Watergate cover-up and is a frequent CNN guest today.

Time report by Molly Ball (via Byron York of the Washington Examiner) says:
    Pelosi, according to an aide, had been mulling the tactic since she heard former Nixon White House counsel John Dean float the idea on CNN on Dec. 5. In the committee meeting, she added that she believed McConnell would be motivated to move. “Somebody said to me today that he may not even take up what we send. [But] then [Trump] will never be vindicated,” she said, according to the aide in the room. “He will be impeached forever. Forever. No matter what the Senate does.”

The following day, Pelosi presided over the floor vote on impeachment, wearing a striking black suit to project solemnity, accessorized with a large gold brooch of the Mace of the Republic, a symbol of the House. When scattered cheers broke out inside the chamber after the first article was approved, she sternly and silently shushed them with a glare and a sharp gesture. After the vote, she announced that she did not plan to transmit the articles right away, saying she could not determine how to appoint House impeachment managers until the Senate decides on its rules for the trial.

Pelosi’s gambit has been something of a strategic disaster. She and her party rushed the impeachment — even skipping or withdrawing subpoenas for witnesses — on the argument that the president needed to be removed from office urgently to prevent him from soliciting foreign interference in the 2020 election. However, the House has delayed the transmission of the articles of impeachment to the Senate for more than three weeks.

https://www.breitbart.com/the-media/...-watching-cnn/

More accurately, she got the idea from watching John Dean on CNN, who as Nixon White House counsel is slightly more qualified than CNN to opine on such matters.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post
    Nancy is the Queen of political tactics. Watch and learn.

Time reported Thursday that Pelosi was inspired by an on-air suggestion from John Dean, the disgraced former White House counsel for President Richard Nixon who went to federal prison for his role in the Watergate cover-up and is a frequent CNN guest today.

Time report by Molly Ball (via Byron York of the Washington Examiner) says:
    Pelosi, according to an aide, had been mulling the tactic since she heard former Nixon White House counsel John Dean float the idea on CNN on Dec. 5. In the committee meeting, she added that she believed McConnell would be motivated to move. “Somebody said to me today that he may not even take up what we send. [But] then [Trump] will never be vindicated,” she said, according to the aide in the room. “He will be impeached forever. Forever. No matter what the Senate does.”

The following day, Pelosi presided over the floor vote on impeachment, wearing a striking black suit to project solemnity, accessorized with a large gold brooch of the Mace of the Republic, a symbol of the House. When scattered cheers broke out inside the chamber after the first article was approved, she sternly and silently shushed them with a glare and a sharp gesture. After the vote, she announced that she did not plan to transmit the articles right away, saying she could not determine how to appoint House impeachment managers until the Senate decides on its rules for the trial.

Pelosi’s gambit has been something of a strategic disaster. She and her party rushed the impeachment — even skipping or withdrawing subpoenas for witnesses — on the argument that the president needed to be removed from office urgently to prevent him from soliciting foreign interference in the 2020 election. However, the House has delayed the transmission of the articles of impeachment to the Senate for more than three weeks.

https://www.breitbart.com/the-media/...-watching-cnn/

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    I obviously meant "faculties".

Gotta love autocorrect.

Leave a comment:

• JimL
    replied
    I'm not certain Nancy is even the queen of her own facilities.
    Facilities?

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    I'm not certain Nancy is even the queen of her own facilities.

Leave a comment:

• firstfloor
    replied
    If Nancy refuses to deliver the articles in a timely fashion then that's on her and the Democrats.
    Nancy is the Queen of political tactics. Watch and learn.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Again, I don't see how the Senate rules are anything but fair. The Democrats are being given the opportunity to present their very best argument that the trial should go forward, and if they convince a majority of Senators, then there will be the option to present new witnesses and evidence. These rules were considered good enough for Bill "I committed perjury" Clinton who actually broke the law, so they should certainly be good enough for President Trump. What's there to complain about?

Unless the Democrats know they don't have a compelling case...

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
    Ok :). I appreciate you keeping me honest.

Well, let's see if this can pass. Maybe it can because it would look really bad for McConnell if it can't.

Late edit:

MM, real talk do you think this will pass? I honestly think this poses more risks for Republicans than Democrats if they go forward with it since they will have to invoke the Nuclear Option to get it through.
    If Nancy refuses to deliver the articles in a timely fashion then that's on her and the Democrats.

Leave a comment:

• firstfloor
    replied
    He’s not bad because he’s orange, he’s orange because he’s bad; the make-up is a disguise, he makes a sad attempt at resembling a human being.

Leave a comment:

• JimL
    replied
    If the articles never make it to the Senate then they're effectively voided,
    Says who? You?

so if the Senate votes to dismiss before Nancy can make up her scattered mind, then it will be like impeachment never happened.
    Until the articles are sent, there is no case to dismiss.
    So really, Nancy has a few choices here, and none of them are good for the Democrats: 1) Withdraw the articles of impeachment and try again with a new round of investigations and hearings; 2) never deliver them to the Senate and allow them to be dismissed; 3) send them to the Senate and watch their case collapse during opening arguments leading to a quick acquittal.
    You really need to take the rose colored glasses off, MM.
    It's like being asked, "How do you want to fall on the sword? Front? Back? On your side?
    By holding out as long as she has, more evidence is coming out, previously blocked documents are being released at this moment as required by the freedom of information act, John Bolton agreeing to testify, in accordance with a court ruling, as will other direct witnesses have to if subpoenaed who had previously refused. And the House can do that inquiry themselves during the Senate trial if they have to. So the evidence will come out one way or the other even if the Senate tries to put on a sham trial. But even in the Senate they will have to vote on the admissability of each new witness as well as each document and only need 3 republicans and Judge Roberts to break the republican scam. Don't ever underestimate the hated Nancy Pelosi, MM.

Leave a comment: