Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Take This Impeachment And Shove It...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    In other news, two weeks after saying there wouldn't be a vote 'now' Pelosi announces a vote. The day after the isis leader was killed.

No politicking here, nosirree!
    No "politicking here" at all. Quite the reverse. "A federal judge has sided with Pelosi, as the New York Times reports: The House is legally engaged in an impeachment inquiry, a federal judge ruled on Friday, delivering a major victory to House Democrats and undercutting arguments by President Trump and Republicans that the investigation is a sham …"

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/...-is-legal.html

Pelosi is merely calling Trump's bluff.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Or "open to the American people."
      After all, this is the same woman who said they couldn't tell us what was in a bill until after they voted on it.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
        No "politicking here" at all. Quite the reverse. "A federal judge has sided with Pelosi, as the New York Times reports: The House is legally engaged in an impeachment inquiry, a federal judge ruled on Friday, delivering a major victory to House Democrats and undercutting arguments by President Trump and Republicans that the investigation is a sham …"

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/...-is-legal.html

Pelosi is merely calling Trump's bluff.
        The ruling was immediately appealed, and in so doing backed Pelosi into a legal corner. She didn't call Trump's bluff; on the contrary, she literally has no other choice if she wants to keep the impeachment dream alive.

The Department of Justice appealed Howell’s ruling on Monday. One of its arguments in doing so was that the House Judiciary Committee no longer needed Mueller’s evidence, because Pelosi had “announced that the House impeachment inquiry will focus narrowly on the whistleblower complaint and issues surrounding Ukraine.” Moreover, that inquiry is being led by the House Intelligence Committee, not the House Judiciary Committee.

As Harvard Law School professor Laurence Tribe — who has demanded Trump’s impeachment since before the president took office — noted in June, it was a “gamble” to ask the courts to compel the release of Mueller’s grand jury testimony. The only way to guarantee that the grand jury testimony would be released to the House would be to hold a vote authorizing an impeachment inquiry.

No doubt Pelosi’s vote will cite the Mueller and Ukraine cases. Thus the president will face an impeachment inquiry that alleges he obstructed justice to cover up his imagined collusion with Russia — while also colluding with Russia’s enemy, Ukraine, to smear a likely political opponent.

Both charges are absurd. But Democrats never had a chance of booting Trump from office. The fact that Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) had 50 Republicans co-sponsor a resolution opposing the House procedures confirms that.

What Pelosi and her party want most, evidently, is to produce as much dirt on Trump as possible. That is why they leaked bits of testimony from what they claimed, at the same time, was a “grand jury” proceeding (where leaks are forbidden).

The Ukraine well ran dry the moment the White House released the transcript of Trump’s phone call with Ukraine’s president. The Mueller grand jury testimony became important again: it was back to Square One.

But Pelosi had boxed herself into a corner. Mueller found no collusion, so the only faint hope for impeachment was Ukraine. But Democrats had told the courts Mueller was the reason they needed the grand jury testimony. They won with Howell, a judge appointed by President Barack Obama; their chances looked slimmer going forward.

So Pelosi had no legal options but to hold a vote authorizing an impeachment inquiry. Eventually, politics ran into the law.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...ment-inquiry/#

But this could very well end up as another backfire for Pelosi, because if it's a real resolution, it will automatically trigger House rules that will give the minority party leverage in the proceedings. And trust me, that's the last thing the Democrats want.

Comment

• In the DC court the DOJ has filed a motion to stay the Judge Howell ruling as they appeal the decision. The stay motion appears pretty solid on three of the four corner arguments.

The weakest aspect to the motion is the legal framework around “judicial enforcement authority.” In part because the impeachment precedent is thin; and in part because the Judiciary Committee angle is about gaining evidence underneath the Mueller report – not the House Ukraine investigation.

If Judge Howell doesn’t grant the stay pending appeal, the DOJ would have to look for an emergency injunction. In the interim, Pelosi, Schiff and Nadler are looking to exploit the Howell decision that accepted, some would say ‘created‘, the existence of a formal House impeachment proceeding despite the non-existence of an authorizing vote.

In essence, Lawfare is trying to exploit a decision -quickly- that put the cart (impeachment) before the horse (vote); and leverage that judicial ruling as a back-door to grant full judicial enforcement authority over the House impeachment inquiry.

The optics therein is what the sham vote is intended to present. As if the full House voted to allow the committees to gain judicial enforcement authority and change the committee request letters into actual and enforceable subpoenas.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...er-authorized/

It seems that Pelosi is attempting to give the appearance of voting to authorize the impeachment investigation without actually voting to authorize the impeachment investigation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            After all, this is the same woman who said they couldn't tell us what was in a bill until after they voted on it.
            You don't really want transparency, MM. If you did you'd be calling for Trump to stop blocking witnesses from testifying. What you want is a Republican led circus to muddle up the proceedings but Pelosi and Schiff are too smart to let that happen while gathering the evidence. Once the Inquiry is open, you'll be bitching and moaning about something else other than the actual evidence.

Comment

• Gingrich is of the opinion that the Senate resolution backed Pelosi into the corner. Even he he's mistaken, it sure doesn't help her:

Source: Fox News

The resolution:

• “calls on the House of Representatives, prior to proceeding any further with its impeachment investigation into President Trump, to vote to initiate a formal impeachment inquiry;
              • calls on the House of Representatives to provide President Trump, like every other American, with due process, to include the ability to confront his accusers, call witnesses on his behalf, and have a basic understanding of the accusations against him that would form any basis for impeachment; and
              • calls on the House of Representatives to provide members of the minority with the ability to participate fully in all proceedings and have equal authority to issue subpoenas and other compulsory process.”

Faced with this new reality, Speaker Pelosi suddenly ended months of avoiding a vote on the impeachment process and announced today that the House would vote this week.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Gingrich is of the opinion that the Senate resolution backed Pelosi into the corner. Even he he's mistaken, it sure doesn't help her:

The resolution:

• “calls on the House of Representatives, prior to proceeding any further with its impeachment investigation into President Trump, to vote to initiate a formal impeachment inquiry;
                • calls on the House of Representatives to provide President Trump, like every other American, with due process, to include the ability to confront his accusers, call witnesses on his behalf, and have a basic understanding of the accusations against him that would form any basis for impeachment; and
                • calls on the House of Representatives to provide members of the minority with the ability to participate fully in all proceedings and have equal authority to issue subpoenas and other compulsory process.”

Faced with this new reality, Speaker Pelosi suddenly ended months of avoiding a vote on the impeachment process and announced today that the House would vote this week.

Source

Not so sure. If it is sufficiently ignored by the MSM so that very few are aware of it then the pressure will be miniscule at most.

If it does get the public's attention then prepare for every talking head show on CNN, MSNBC etc. to have panelists solemnly condemning the Senate for trying to encroach on the House's jurisdiction. Maybe liken it to some sort of power grab or similar nonsense.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                  You don't really want transparency, MM. If you did you'd be calling for Trump to stop blocking witnesses from testifying. What you want is a Republican led circus to muddle up the proceedings but Pelosi and Schiff are too smart to let that happen while gathering the evidence. Once the Inquiry is open, you'll be bitching and moaning about something else other than the actual evidence.
                  Would that be like the Democrat led circus during the Clinton impeachment? Because that wasn't done behind closed doors by Republicans and when the House voted for the articles, 31 Democrats joined. Sunshine didn't prevent those witnesses from testifying - why the cloak and dagger routine now?

If they just wanted an investigation, they would have called for another special prosecutor. What they did is create a kangaroo court that has begun to backfire. Seriously, did they think the Senate was just gonna take that?

Also, Pelosi was a smart cookie in her prime - but Schiff?!?!?!?! Mr. 'I've got the proof' Schiff?

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Not so sure. If it is sufficiently ignored by the MSM so that very few are aware of it then the pressure will be miniscule at most.

If it does get the public's attention then prepare for every talking head show on CNN, MSNBC etc. to have panelists solemnly condemning the Senate for trying to encroach on the House's jurisdiction. Maybe liken it to some sort of power grab or similar nonsense.
                    MSM's ratings no longer compare to Fox's - so a lot of people will hear.

We'll see.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

MSM's ratings no longer compare to Fox's - so a lot of people will hear.

We'll see.
                      ABC, CBS and NBC all have bigger audiences, especially their coffee klatsch semi-news/infotainment shows.

And I think they factor in those who watch Fox News figuring that as long as it's only conservative media talking about it then they can ignore it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Excellent podcast explaining the Ukraine business, where Russia fits in, and Trump’s contempt for the foundations of US foreign policy and the rule of law.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcas...=1000454967872

Impeachment cannot happen soon enough but McConnell will destroy the constitution in order to protect Trump.
                        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                        “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post
                          Excellent podcast explaining the Ukraine business, where Russia fits in, and Trump’s contempt for the foundations of US foreign policy and the rule of law.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcas...=1000454967872

Impeachment cannot happen soon enough but McConnell will destroy the constitution in order to protect Trump.
                          You say, "Guys! Guys! Listen to this podcast! It totally explains what's going on!" and then you present a summary that is the opposite of reality.

Conclusion: Your podcasts aren't worth the bandwidth it would take to listen to them.

Comment

It's a race between the House Democrats and the Department of Justice. Notice how Pelosi pulls this stunt shortly after it's announced that Barr and Durham are hunting for the kill.

Comment

Gingrich is of the opinion that the Senate resolution backed Pelosi into the corner. Even he he's mistaken, it sure doesn't help her:

The resolution:

Source

First of all, Lindsey Graham has lost all credibility. He went from condemning Trump before the election as not being fit for office to kissing his posterior after the election. Second, it's none of the Senates/Grahams business how the House operates.
                              And the reason Pelosi decided to hold a vote later this week had nothing to do with pressure, there's been plenty of pressure since the investigation began and Pelosi couldn't care less. The reason is that for one thing, they're winding down, for another, the people are now in favor of impeachment, and on top of that the courts have just ruled that the republican party has no standing with respect to their demand for a vote anyway. She's taking a vote now, because she's ready to take a vote now, not because of pressure. Pelosi doesn't bend under idiotic pressure from republicans, which is why they both hate and respect her so much.
                              Last edited by JimL; 10-29-2019, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Would that be like the Democrat led circus during the Clinton impeachment? Because that wasn't done behind closed doors by Republicans and when the House voted for the articles, 31 Democrats joined. Sunshine didn't prevent those witnesses from testifying - why the cloak and dagger routine now?

If they just wanted an investigation, they would have called for another special prosecutor. What they did is create a kangaroo court that has begun to backfire. Seriously, did they think the Senate was just gonna take that?

Also, Pelosi was a smart cookie in her prime - but Schiff?!?!?!?! Mr. 'I've got the proof' Schiff?

Yep, I think the Senate is just going to take it whether they like it or not. Republicans hold two branches of government, but lucky for the U.S and democracy, and thanks to the 2018 election drubbing they took, republicans have no sway in the House regardless of how much whining they do. You might not think much of Pelosi, Tea, but believe me, Trump and the GOP would do anything to rid themselves of her. Greatest Speaker in the history of the House, and they know it!
                                Last edited by JimL; 10-29-2019, 05:53 PM.

Comment