Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Take This Impeachment And Shove It...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Then it's on the Democrat's to present a compelling enough opening argument to convince a majority of Senators that the presentation of additional witnesses and evidence is warranted. You think they're up to it?
    No it isn't. If Moscow Mitch and the republicans intend on putting on a sham trial, nothing democrats say is going to change that. Republicans as well as Democrats already know that direct and relevant evidence and testimony has been blocked by the White House. If they don't want to see it, if they don't want you to see it, then it's a cover-up pure and simple. So, why don't you want to see it, MM?

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
      No it isn't. If Moscow Mitch and the republicans intend on putting on a sham trial, nothing democrats say is going to change that. Republicans as well as Democrats already know that direct and relevant evidence and testimony has been blocked by the White House. If they don't want to see it, if they don't want you to see it, then it's a cover-up pure and simple. So, why don't you want to see it, MM?
      So answer me this: You guys have been whooping and hollering for weeks now about how damning the House testimony has been, that it leaves no question of Trump's guilt, that the preponderance of evidence is overwhelming, and Democrats apparently thought they had a compelling enough case to pass a vote to impeach.

So if the case is really that strong, then why the need for additional evidence? And if the Democrats need Bolton's testimony to make their case then why didn't they fight it out in court to compel him to testify during the inquiry?

Your argument is really an implicit admission that the articles, as they stand right now, lack sufficient evidence to support the accusations against the President, and as Mitch McConnell correctly stated, it's not the Senate's job to help the House make its case, so the proper thing to do is dismiss the articles and tell the House, "Try to get it right next time."
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

So answer me this: You guys have been whooping and hollering for weeks now about how damning the House testimony has been, that it leaves no question of Trump's guilt, that the preponderance of evidence is overwhelming, and Democrats apparently thought they had a compelling enough case to pass a vote to impeach.

So if the case is really that strong, then why the need for additional evidence? And if the Democrats need Bolton's testimony to make their case then why didn't they fight it out in court to compel him to testify during the inquiry?

Your argument is really an implicit admission that the articles, as they stand right now, lack sufficient evidence to support the accusations against the President, and as Mitch McConnell correctly stated, it's not the Senate's job to help the House make its case, so the proper thing to do is dismiss the articles and tell the House, "Try to get it right next time."
        The reason for it is not because there isn't enough evidence already, but there is not enough to overcome the denial from the likes of you which is why you are appreciative of Trumps obstruction in the first place and are afraid of it's coming out at a fair trial. And yes it is the Senates job to seek the truth, not to defend the accused. The Senate is the jury, not the defense team.
        Anyone wanting to know the truth would want to see and to hear all the relevant evidence, not make excuses for it to not be admissable. You and the rest of those defending Trump obviously don't want to see it, and the reason for that is glaringly obvious.
        Last edited by JimL; 01-11-2020, 03:32 PM.

Comment

The Democrats have consistently proclaimed that they have more than enough already to impeach Trump but their constant whining demands that the Senate continue their investigation is tacit admission that they don't.

The fact is that they should have continued their own investigation instead of trying to extort the Senate into doing their job for them but simply couldn't be bothered to do so. The claim that they couldn't wait has been exposed by Pelosi's weeks long stall as utter B.S. And now their claim that they had more than enough already on Trump is likewise being exposed as just another lie.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

The Democrats have consistently proclaimed that they have more than enough already to impeach Trump but their constant whining demands that the Senate continue their investigation is tacit admission that they don't.

The fact is that they should have continued their own investigation instead of trying to extort the Senate into doing their job for them but simply couldn't be bothered to do so. The claim that they couldn't wait has been exposed by Pelosi's weeks long stall as utter B.S. And now their claim that they had more than enough already on Trump is likewise being exposed as just another lie.
            The fact is that you can't handle the truth and so don't want any more evidence to come out. What are you afraid of, fool?

Comment

The reason for it is not because there isn't enough evidence already, but there is not enough to overcome the denial from the likes of you which is why you are appreciative of Trumps obstruction in the first place and are afraid of it's coming out at a fair trial. And yes it is the Senates job to seek the truth, not to defend the accused. The Senate is the jury, not the defense team.
              Anyone wanting to know the truth would want to see and to hear all the relevant evidence, not make excuses for it to not be admissable. You and the rest of those defending Trump obviously don't want to see it, and the reason for that is glaringly obvious.
              Why don't you try answering the question without your failed attempts at mind reading.

Comment

Why don't you try answering the question without your failed attempts at mind reading.
                I did answer your question. Perhaps if you forgot what your question was. The evidence, though overwhelming, is not enough to overcome the denial from the likes of you who are in denial. The plain fact of the matter is, you're affraid your phoney denial will be exposed in a fair trial that isn't working in coordination with the accused to obstruct.
                Last edited by JimL; 01-11-2020, 04:28 PM.

Comment

The evidence, though overwhelming, is not enough...
                  The follow-up question, then, is why do you suppose the Democrats didn't wait until they had enough evidence before voting to impeach? The excuse at the time was that the President represented an "imminent threat" to the country and had to be removed from office as soon as possible, but of course Pelosi's delay put the lie to that claim, and she only agreed to deliver them now because of the Senate's ultimatum to hand them over or they'll dismiss.

My own theory, based on things I've read and know about the process, is that the Democrats knew they didn't have a case, and they knew they lacked the legal sufficiency to penetrate the firewall of executive privilege that separates the President from Congress, and they knew that Senate Republicans would never agree to do the heavy lifting for the House, so they rushed the impeachment inquiry through the House and then tried to cover the weakness of their case by attempting to manufacture a "scandal" in the Senate. Except the plan didn't work.

Comment

The follow-up question, then, is why do you suppose the Democrats didn't wait until they had enough evidence before voting to impeach? The excuse at the time was that the President represented an "imminent threat" to the country and had to be removed from office as soon as possible, but of course Pelosi's delay put the lie to that claim, and she only agreed to deliver them now because of the Senate's ultimatum to hand them over or they'll dismiss.

My own theory, based on things I've read and know about the process, is that the Democrats knew they didn't have a case, and they knew they lacked the legal sufficiency to penetrate the firewall of executive privilege that separates the President from Congress, and they knew that Senate Republicans would never agree to do the heavy lifting for the House, so they rushed the impeachment inquiry through the House and then tried to cover the weakness of their case by attempting to manufacture a "scandal" in the Senate. Except the plan didn't work.
                    I still think that Pelosi got suckered by Schiff into believing that the evidence against Trump wrt Ukraine was overwhelmingly open and shut and by the time they realized that he was, um, full of himself, it was too late. They were already committed. So they charged heedlessly headfirst into a losing proposition hoping that they along with the propaganda wing of the party (otherwise known as the MSM) could hoodwink the people into believing their threadbare evidence deficient spiel. But even the greatest salesman in the world couldn't sell that stinking pile of excrement. Hence we saw the attempt to force a "do-over" in the Senate but that attempt at strong arming[1] also fell flat and now Pelosi is finally forced to admit defeat.

1. Ironic that everything that the left accused Trump of doing to Ukraine is exactly what the Dems tried to do to the Senate.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Then it's on the Democrat's to present a compelling enough opening argument to convince a majority of Senators that the presentation of additional witnesses and evidence is warranted. You think they're up to it?
                      There is no argument that the senate would accept. It's a kangaroo court.
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                        There is no argument that the senate would accept. It's a kangaroo court.
                        I agree, the House ran a kangaroo court, so why should the Senate accept it?

ny-post-cover-3-e1573654942253.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                          They don't want a fair trial, they're all breathing a sigh of relief after hearing that Moscow Mitch intended to sweep it under the rug. Winning is more important to them than truth, than the Constitution, or their democratic form of government, and the more they're lied to, the more the facts are covered up, the better they seem to like it.
                          Says the guy that argued the president shouldn't receive Due Process, or have the right to face his accusers.

I did tell you so - being fair in the House inquiry would give you credibility if the Senate wasn't equally scrupulous. Instead, the House pulled every kangaroo court shinanigan in the book. You literally have no rational basis to demand the Senate do what the House would not.
                          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

What difference will ANY argument make when the Senate leaders have already publicly stated they will NOT honor their Constitutional oath of impartiality? McConnell said: "I'm not an impartial juror" - "No chance Trump will be removed from office".

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/12/17/p...ent/index.html
                            “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                              The fact is that you can't handle the truth and so don't want any more evidence to come out. What are you afraid of, fool?
                              Then you agree the Senate should dismiss and this time Judiciary should do its job - with authorization from the House floor. Good.
                              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                                Then you agree the Senate should dismiss and this time Judiciary should do its job - with authorization from the House floor. Good.
                                What the Senate should do is follow the procedure put in place by the founding fathers. Namely: The Congress investigates...The House of Representatives passes, by a simple majority, articles of impeachment which constitute the formal allegation or allegations...Then the Senate tries the accused.

If the president is innocent of wrongdoing then the trial will exonerate him. What do Trump and his supporters have to fear?
                                “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment