Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Take This Impeachment And Shove It...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Committees are made up of members, and those members can't arbitrarily grant themselves the authority to issue subpoenas. That authorization can only come from the presiding chamber, which means a House vote.
    Wrong again, MM. Congress makes its own rules, and unfortunately for you the rules were changed, not by democrats, but by republicans when they controlled the House, and that change was to give the House majority unilateral subpoena power.

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
      And making a house vote mucks it up because...
      It's a stalling tactic. It's not just a matter of voting, it requires timely debate, which of course republicans would drag out as long as possible. Pelosi understands this, even if you don't, and the one thing the President is counting on is to drag this on for as long as possible. Pelosi is also protecting a few vulnerable reps from voting just yet, but they'll get there when they're ready.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
        It's a stalling tactic. It's not just a matter of voting, it requires timely debate, which of course republicans would drag out as long as possible. Pelosi understands this, even if you don't, and the one thing the President is counting on is to drag this on for as long as possible. Pelosi is also protecting a few vulnerable reps from voting just yet, but they'll get there when they're ready.
        So allowing your opponents to argue against your position is a problem now? Something as important as a possible impeachment shouldn’t be rushed. What you really mean is you’re hoping the democrats can rush this through, before the election, so the can strap a red I, across Trump’s chest.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
          She certainly does, which is why the unprincipled republicans fear her so much.
          A broad-brush smear AND mindreading in one short sentence! You're a hoot, Jim. Don't go changin'.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

So allowing your opponents to argue against your position is a problem now? Something as important as a possible impeachment shouldn’t be rushed. What you really mean is you’re hoping the democrats can rush this through, before the election, so the can strap a red I, across Trump’s chest.

If the argument is that impeachment inquiries, hearings, and trials should stretch past the 2020 election that seems ... self-defeating for Trump supporters. A hurried, narrow impeachment hearing and quick trial in the Senate would be Trump's best hope, at this point.

Heaven help him if the inquiry broadens out to his taxes.

--Sam
            "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
              If the argument is that impeachment inquiries, hearings, and trials should stretch past the 2020 election that seems ... self-defeating for Trump supporters. A hurried, narrow impeachment hearing and quick trial in the Senate would be Trump's best hope, at this point.

Heaven help him if the inquiry broadens out to his taxes.

--Sam
              So than the Democrats are in such a rush because...
              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

So than the Democrats are in such a rush because...
                Fear that impeachment will drown out the 'kitchen table' issues many believe helped them trounce Republicans in 2018 and awareness that any Democratic majority has to run through Republican-gerrymandered districts that they won in 2018.

I disagree with the fear, considering the breadth and depth of Trump's corruption, but it's not rocket science.

--Sam
                "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
                  Fear that impeachment will drown out the 'kitchen table' issues many believe helped them trounce Republicans in 2018 and awareness that any Democratic majority has to run through Republican-gerrymandered districts that they won in 2018.

I disagree with the fear, considering the breadth and depth of Trump's corruption, but it's not rocket science.

--Sam
                  Or fear their evidence is so weak, that it would fall apart upon closer inspection. You said yourself Sam:

‘A hurried one would be in Trumps best interest’

So why are you changing up what you said earlier? Is it in Trump’s best interest for it to be quick or not?
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                    She's not afraid, MM, she's smart, and she'sway too smart to cave to the whining of republicans whose only goal is to muck up the investigation, not to present the facts to their constituents.
                    So smart that she's hamstringing her own committee(s) by refusing to hold a vote that would grant them subpoena authority.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Congress makes its own rules...
                      This is true up to a certain point; however, they can not, of course, invent rules that put them in violation of the law, and due process laws do not grant them the authority to arbitrarily issue subpoenas, for what I think are obvious reasons. Judicial precedent says that any committee who wishes such authority must seek the approval of its chamber, which in this case means a house vote.

So why won't Pelosi do it? What's she afraid of?

Comment

It's not just a matter of voting, it requires timely debate...
                        And why would we want open and timely debate about a matter as serious as the impeachment of a president?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          And why would we want open and timely debate about a matter as serious as the impeachment of a president?
                          That’s what I wonder. If it’s obvious that Trump broke the law and should be impeached, why rush it? Draw it out and make it obvious he’s corrupt to the core. I suspect the evidence isn’t that strong and the goal is to quickly rush it through before anyone notices or at they very least, hold a ‘Trump was impeached!’ Stigma over his head.
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

That’s what I wonder. If it’s obvious that Trump broke the law and should be impeached, why rush it? Draw it out and make it obvious he’s corrupt to the core. I suspect the evidence isn’t that strong and the goal is to quickly rush it through before anyone notices or at they very least, hold a ‘Trump was impeached!’ Stigma over his head.
                            There's no need to draw it out. Hold open hearings, present the damning evidence that Democrats claim to be in possession of, and then vote to impeach. If Democrats move quickly and decisively then Republicans won't have time to interfere, which is what Jimmy's talking points straight from the mouth of Shifty Adam Schiff claim to want to prevent. Dragging their feet and keeping proceedings secret and out of the public view actually gives Republicans more opportunity to interfere and spin the narrative in their favor.

It keeps coming back to the question: What are the Democrats afraid of?

Comment

Again, this is an investigation, lilpix, not a trial. It's a gathering of evidence. The trial takes place in the Senate where the unethical republican majority, unless, ala Nixon, the evidence is too much for even them to deny any longer, will probably aquit Trump regardless. Then the people can decide in the election.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                A broad-brush smear AND mindreading in one short sentence! You're a hoot, Jim. Don't go changin'.
                                Yep, sorry to say, but the unprincipled nature of the republican Congress, made obvious by their silence or lies concerning Trumps corruption, is pretty much across the board.

Comment