Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Take This Impeachment And Shove It...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
    Well, some of us have maintained a consistent and balanced opinion of him from July 2016 forward, at least, while still being able to discuss the consequences of his decisions like adults.

--Sam
    So not you?
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Well, some of us have maintained a consistent and balanced opinion of him from July 2016 forward, at least, while still being able to discuss the consequences of his decisions like adults.

--Sam
      I'm glad you're back. You're amusing. And it's cute that you think you're so ... um... adult.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
        Yes, I'm sure that cost her votes all over the country, but the polling and targeting data that Manafort turned over to the Russians was tageted to those specific states for that specific reason.

I can just imagine the wailing and gnashing of republican teeth had Comey made public the ongoing investigation into the Trump campaign a week before the election.
        We still haven't heard the end of the FBI apparently targeting his campaign to take him out even though the referenced investigation wasn't made public until well after the election. You'd think the folks outraged by that would be really upset at Comey's imprudent decision against standing policy to release investigative information in the last week of October!

--Sam
        "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Yes, I'm sure that cost her votes all over the country, but the polling and targeting data that Manafort turned over to the Russians was tageted to those specific states for that specific reason.

I can just imagine the wailing and gnashing of republican teeth had Comey made public the ongoing investigation into the Trump campaign a week before the election.
          I like how Democrats blame others for Clinton’s actions.
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            I'm glad you're back. You're amusing. And it's cute that you think you're so ... um... adult.
            Just remember what we talked about when I did come back. I'll be gone again soon enough and we can both think about where things stand.

--Sam
            "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

We still haven't heard the end of the FBI apparently targeting his campaign to take him out even though the referenced investigation wasn't made public until well after the election. You'd think the folks outraged by that would be really upset at Comey's imprudent decision against standing policy to release investigative information in the last week of October!

--Sam
              There are a number of very unethical actions taken by Comey, all of which should be criticized regardless of who they help or hurt.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Just remember what we talked about when I did come back. I'll be gone again soon enough and we can both think about where things stand.

--Sam
                I remember, Sam, and I'm being gentle. But I had forgotten how seriously you take yourself. I'm sorry it amuses me.

Comment

There are a number of very unethical actions taken by Comey, all of which should be criticized regardless of who they help or hurt.
                  We agree on that; he has made some bad decisions, with the understanding that he was often placed in difficult positions. A flawed but ultimately honorable public servant.

The trick is, of course, to keep criticisms to those things that have been substantiated by reason and fact, and not criticisms that have to be invented or applied inconsistently.

--Sam

Comment

We agree on that; he has made some bad decisions, with the understanding that he was often placed in difficult positions.
                    So far so good...

A flawed but ultimately honorable public servant.
                    Meh.... it appears he was always looking after himself, always covering his six.

The trick is, of course, to keep criticisms to those things that have been substantiated by reason and fact, and not criticisms that have to be invented or applied inconsistently.

--Sam
                    Have I done any of that?

Comment

So far so good...

Meh.... it appears he was always looking after himself, always covering his six.

Have I done any of that?
                      What you did, in response to my post about how an analysis of post-Comey letter support shows that his action likely cost Clinton the election, was insinuate that Democrats treat Comey as a hero or villain depending on whether what he says or does helps them.

That wasn't responsive to my post and you can understand how it implies something about my assessment and discussion of Comey-related issues.

Would have been better, in short, to stick to the facts of the matter and not turn it into yet another partisan thing.

--Sam

Comment

What you did, in response to my post about how an analysis of post-Comey letter support shows that his action likely cost Clinton the election, was insinuate that Democrats treat Comey as a hero or villain depending on whether what he says or does helps them.
                        You deny that? They were giddy that he had "exonerated" her, when, in fact, what he did was lay out a perfect case for conviction, then go way beyond protocol and declare that "no reasonable prosecutor...."

That wasn't responsive to my post and you can understand how it implies something about my assessment and discussion of Comey-related issues.
                        You're helping me to remember why I had a hard time taking you seriously Sam.

Would have been better, in short, to stick to the facts of the matter and not turn it into yet another partisan thing.

--Sam
                        In a thread called "take this impeachment and shove it"?

Comment

You deny that? They were giddy that he had "exonerated" her, when, in fact, what he did was lay out a perfect case for conviction, then go way beyond protocol and declare that "no reasonable prosecutor...."

You're helping me to remember why I had a hard time taking you seriously Sam.

In a thread called "take this impeachment and shove it"?

What you're doing there -- claiming that Democrats said Comey "exonerated" Clinton and claiming that he went beyond protocol by stating the fact that no prosecutions fitting the facts had ever been made and no reasonable prosecutor would prosecute the case demonstrates a lack of adherence to fact.

Democrats did not claim that Comey "exonerated" Clinton. And Comey's break in protocol was discussing the results of an investigation that DOJ wasn't going to prosecute. Now I've consistently maintained that this was an impossible position for Comey and that he could not reasonably adhere to protocol by not discussing the case but that's the violation of protocol, not explaining why DOJ wasn't making a criminal charge.

I don't mind you not taking me seriously but try to take your own posts a bit more so: you took my post about judging Comey as referring to you, even when I didn't mention your name. But you don't want me to take your post, responding to and quoting me, as referring to me. Gotta be consistent -- one or the other.

--Sam

Comment

• Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
                            1. Third or fourth hand hearsay evidence is capable of being believed?

2. An opinion is a Credible Statement, worthy of beleif or confidence: Trustworthy: A credible Witness?
                            A credible witness is one who is competent to give evidence, and is worthy of belief. The witnesses at the impeachment hearings included diplomats and White House officials with knowledge of Trump's dealings with Ukraine – including Acting US Ambassador to Ukraine Bill Taylor, and former US Ambassador to Ukraine Marie Yovanovitch. All were in a good position to provide credible evidence and ALL provided testimony corroborating the whistle-blower's allegations. It would have been preferable to have the likes of Bolton and Mulvaney testify as well, but they were blocked by the WH from appearing. Can’t imagine why.
                            “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Still desperately grasping onto the collusion delusion is the new Birtherism. The fake moon landing and flat earth crowds are jealous of all the free publicity y'all get.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                                I like how Democrats blame others for Clinton’s actions.
                                Why not? She herself constantly blames others (I think her list exceeds 50 now) for her running a dismally inept campaign.
                                Last edited by rogue06; 12-28-2019, 05:46 AM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment