Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Take This Impeachment And Shove It...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
    Clinto was impeached for lying to Congress, dopey!
    He committed perjury in a deposition about a sex scandal - not the one with Lewinski. I don't remember if he testified in writing to either House but I don't think he testified in person to the House.

History isn't your strong suit.

Perjury in testimony to Congress would at least be a crime, though.

Edit: eh, might have been a GJ instead of a deposition.
    Last edited by Teallaura; 12-27-2019, 09:02 PM.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Sam, reality check.... if the Democrats actually had anything, they blew it bigtime by rushing an incredibly partisan sham impeachment.

They screwed up so badly that they...
      A) LOST support from the American public
      2) LOST a few Democrats along the way
      C) Realized they screwed up so badly that they can't even present their "work product" to the Senate
      D) They're raising YUGE money for Trump
      5) They've pretty much guaranteed his relection.

Try gloating on that for a bit while you relentlessly re-litigate the impeachment.
      From its October 8 high of 49.2% averaged support for impeachment, Democrats have "lost" 1.4% to today's 47.8% averaged support. That's still an enormous level of support, comparable only to Nixon's last days of his impeachment proceedings.

The rest is similarly indicative of very small events turned into monumental catastrophes. I'll wait to see what Trump's fundraising off impeachment actually is, rather than what his campaign is saying that it is but his approval rating hasn't really seen a big uptick (Rassmussen, in fact, has him down a few points). No one had a firm grip on how many Trump-district Democrats would vote against impeachment but the understanding has consistently been that some would. The House will, likely inside of January, submit articles of impeachment to the Senate and would do so immediately if McConnell agreed to a traditional and fair format.

And no one right now knows who will win the 2020 election. Trump has many advantages, including incumbency and corrupt efforts to generate negative headlines for his opponents, but he's still polling behind several of the potential Democratic nominees in head-to-heads.

Reality recheck.

--Sam
      "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
        From its October 8 high of 49.2% averaged support for impeachment, Democrats have "lost" 1.4% to today's 47.8% averaged support. That's still an enormous level of support, comparable only to Nixon's last days of his impeachment proceedings.

The rest is similarly indicative of very small events turned into monumental catastrophes. I'll wait to see what Trump's fundraising off impeachment actually is, rather than what his campaign is saying that it is but his approval rating hasn't really seen a big uptick (Rassmussen, in fact, has him down a few points). No one had a firm grip on how many Trump-district Democrats would vote against impeachment but the understanding has consistently been that some would. The House will, likely inside of January, submit articles of impeachment to the Senate and would do so immediately if McConnell agreed to a traditional and fair format.

And no one right now knows who will win the 2020 election. Trump has many advantages, including incumbency and corrupt efforts to generate negative headlines for his opponents, but he's still polling behind several of the potential Democratic nominees in head-to-heads.

Reality recheck.

--Sam
        Democrats (Nov 4, 2016): “Trump is finished, there’s no way he can win.”

How well did that work out?
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Seriously? You see that as GOOD NEWS? Sam --- with the entire MSM pitching impeachment, the Democrats hammering on it every chance they get, and the incredibly memorizing hearings, support should be THROUGH THE ROOF!!!

poll impeach.jpg

The House has sole authority to run the impeachment - the Senate has sole authority to run convict/remove -- you know this, Sam.

The House, having made a shambles of the impeachment is foolish enough to believe they can determine how the Senate operates?

And no one right now knows who will win the 2020 election.
          Of course not, but the Dems are in a panic, and actually trying to find somebody - anybody - to rescue them.

Trump has many advantages, including incumbency and corrupt efforts to generate negative headlines for his opponents, but he's still polling behind several of the potential Democratic nominees in head-to-heads.
          Sure, Sam.... remind me you said this when Trump is reelected.

Reality recheck.
          Yes, my friend - you really really need one.

Unless something CATACLYSMIC happens (and it still can) Trump will begin a second term.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post

Putin and Trump got what Putin and Trump schemed to get. Much to their own surprise and delight, their plan worked. Doesn't say much for those who fell for it though. Sad! MRGA!

Comment

Seriously? You see that as GOOD NEWS? Sam --- with the entire MSM pitching impeachment, the Democrats hammering on it every chance they get, and the incredibly memorizing hearings, support should be THROUGH THE ROOF!!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41697[/ATTACH]

The House has sole authority to run the impeachment - the Senate has sole authority to run convict/remove -- you know this, Sam.

The House, having made a shambles of the impeachment is foolish enough to believe they can determine how the Senate operates?

Of course not, but the Dems are in a panic, and actually trying to find somebody - anybody - to rescue them.

Unless something CATACLYSMIC happens (and it still can) Trump will begin a second term.

One of us responded with measured answers, acknowledging the relevant balances. The other responded with unhinged assertions of how reality "should" be, given a fact-free interpretation of current events and extrapolations of what will happen in the distant future.

I feel comfortable with the balance I put into my response.

--Sam
              "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

One of us responded with measured answered, acknowledging the relevant balances. The other responded with unhinged assertions of how reality "should" be, given a fact-free interpretation of current events and extrapolations of what will happen in the distant future.

I feel comfortable with the balance I put into my response.

--Sam

Whatever you say, Sam. I'm glad you're comfortable in your version of 'reality'. Kinda like a nice big comfy bubble.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41697[/ATTACH]

By cataclysmic do you mean "if you Trumsters finally wake up?"

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post

I'll never forget election night watching the faces of the MSM talking heads in absolute shock as the projection of electoral college votes shifted dramatically, and the "percentage that Hillary will win" moved from way "YES" to way "aint no way".

Comment

I'll never forget election night watching the faces of the MSM talking heads in absolute shock as the projection of electoral college votes shifted dramatically, and the "percentage that Hillary will win" moved from way "YES" to way "aint no way".
                      Yes, Manafort, Trumps campaign manager, did a excellent job colluding with Russia, giving them excellent polling and targeting data of a few key states in order to pull off the electoral college win. Even they couldn't believe they pulled it off.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                        Yes, Manafort, Trumps campaign manager, did a excellent job colluding with Russia, giving them excellent polling and targeting data of a few key states in order to pull off the electoral college win. Even they couldn't believe they pulled it off.
                        Coincidentally related to the subject of Trump's impeachment, it was the Comey letter in the final week of the election that likely cost Clinton the Electoral College and handed Trump just enough (<100,000 votes in three states) to win.

Trump understands the value of negative headlines from traditionally trusted sources, even if the underlying content is barren.

--Sam

Comment

Coincidentally related to the subject of Trump's impeachment, it was the Comey letter in the final week of the election that likely cost Clinton the Electoral College and handed Trump just enough (<100,000 votes in three states) to win.

Trump understands the value of negative headlines from traditionally trusted sources, even if the underlying content is barren.

--Sam
                          It was actually entertaining to see Comey go from hero to villain and back again... whenever he says anything the helps the Dems, he's the smartest most ethical man on the planet.

Comment

--Sam
                            Yes, I'm sure that cost her votes all over the country, but the polling and targeting data that Manafort turned over to the Russians was tageted to those specific states for that specific reason.

I can just imagine the wailing and gnashing of republican teeth had Comey made public the ongoing investigation into the Trump campaign a week before the election.

Comment

It was actually entertaining to see Comey go from hero to villain and back again... whenever he says anything the helps the Dems, he's the smartest most ethical man on the planet.
                              Well, some of us have maintained a consistent and balanced opinion of him from July 2016 forward, at least, while still being able to discuss the consequences of his decisions like adults.

--Sam

Comment

Remember the Sam Method of Absolute Truth DeterminationTM:

Does it support what Sam wants to believe?

If yes, absolute and total truth.

If no, total garbage.

Remember that and you’ll know his answer before he does. Using google to search for articles that tell you what you want to believe helps too.
                                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment