Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Take This Impeachment And Shove It...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
    If you paid attention to what House Democrats have said regarding impeachment...
    Including the part where they said it needed to be bipartisan and overwhelmingly supported by the American people, and....

Sam, you shouldn't pay attention to what the Democrats have said - you pay attention to what they do.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

After straining gnats for months trying to find anything they could charge him with, you think they had "perjury" and just didn't bother to use it?
      That's why using the example of "grand jury" in this case is a farce ---- you NEVER go to grand jury without a specific charge, and you NEVER rely on a grand jury to invent one.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        That's why using the example of "grand jury" in this case is a farce ---- you NEVER go to grand jury without a specific charge, and you NEVER rely on a grand jury to invent one.
        As stated before, the Judiciary Committee went to the "grand jury" with specific charges against the President.

And the reason you don't go to a traditional grand jury without charges is because it's a criminal proceeding, which impeachment is not.

--Sam
        "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

As stated before, the Judiciary Committee went to the "grand jury" with specific charges against the President.
          Actually, they went to the focus groups and came up with vague charges.

And the reason you don't go to a traditional grand jury without charges is because it's a criminal proceeding, which impeachment is not.

--Sam
          EGGzackly --- so a "grand jury" is not the best analogy. As I have stated repeatedly, impeachment is its own animal.

Comment

Actually, they went to the focus groups and came up with vague charges.

EGGzackly --- so a "grand jury" is not the best analogy. As I have stated repeatedly, impeachment is its own animal.
            I'm not sure y'all listen to yourselves anymore but "House Democrats focused-grouped their accusations of bribery" and "Bribery wasn't even included in the articles of impeachment!" are difficult claims to reconcile but outright impossible to fit together as a single line of attack.

And if the principal distinction between impeachment and a criminal grand jury hearing is merely that one necessitates a violation of criminal code and the other does not, the analogy fits just about as closely as an analogy can without being identical (and, therefore, no longer an analogy).

--Sam
            "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

If Bernie Madoff was running a ponzi scheme, how did he go for decades without being charged?

If Jerry Epstein was running a human trafficking outfit of underage girls, how did he go for decades without being charged?

If Trump's taxes are on the up and up, why is there reportedly a whistleblower complaint about improper interference in the IRS audit process of his returns?

I'd say there's something smart and necessary in Warren making her platform prioritized around anti-corruption among the rich and well-to-do.

--Sam
              So the IRS and the FBI is filled with incompetence and congress couldn’t even be bothered to investigate and had to make up a crime to impeach Trump over. I sure hope this all sounds better in your head than saying it out loud for you see, Madoff and Epstein are perfect examples of government incompetence because details about both these cases, with reports about their suspicions of their criminal actions, were around for years before the public knew.
              Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 12-27-2019, 05:59 PM.
              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                So the IRS and the FBI is filled with incompetence and congress couldn’t even be bothered to investigate and had to make up a crime to impeach Trump over. I sure hope this all sounds better in your head than saying it out loud for you see, Madoff and Epstein are perfect examples of government incompetence because details about both these cases, with reports about their suspicions of their criminal actions, were around for years before the public knew.
                Edited by a Moderator

Moderated By: Chaotic Void

Please Refrain from Arguing via Weblink.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by Chaotic Void; 01-14-2020, 01:41 PM.

Comment

And what National emergency happened to get Clinton impeached? If Trump lied, under oath, and you can prove it, it seems it could be done again. Got another excuse Sam? Democrats made up a crime and ignored a real one, why or was this perjury case yet another made up crime?
                  It's a baffling line of argument to suggest that there is evidence of Trump committing real, impeachable offenses, and yet the Democrats chose to impeach for two non-crimes without a lick of evidence behind them.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Edited by a Moderator
                    As I told you dear, the article is behind a paywall, so either provide a non paywall source or provide a few details. You won’t because it appears you can’t. Trump is such a criminal that he committed all these crimes, but congress couldn’t bother themselves to investigate and base their impeachment off of all these real crimes. Why couldn’t they be bothered to do that Sam? Apparently, just as you didn’t know that the signs of Madoff’s fraud was present, for years, you can’t seem to produce a legit reason why congress can’t be bothered to investigate real crimes and instead spend their time with making up things to impeach Trump over.
                    Last edited by Chaotic Void; 01-14-2020, 01:43 PM.
                    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      It's a baffling line of argument to suggest that there is evidence of Trump committing real, impeachable offenses, and yet the Democrats chose to impeach for two non-crimes without a lick of evidence behind them.
                      It’s like the tax fraud and perjury charges are flimsy and can’t stand up to close scrutiny, so Congress preferred to ignore them and instead choose to simply make up a crime to impeach Trump over. It’s like they can’t even figure out how insane they sound or simply don’t care.
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

As I told you dear, the article is behind a paywall, so either provide a non paywall source or provide a few details. You won’t because it appears you can’t. Trump is such a criminal that he committed all these crimes, but congress couldn’t bother themselves to investigate and base their impeachment off of all these real crimes. Why couldn’t they be bothered to do that Sam? Apparently, just as you didn’t know that the signs of Madoff’s fraud was present, for years, you can’t seem to produce a legit reason why congress can’t be bothered to investigate real crimes and instead spend their time with making up things to impeach Trump over.
                        If "Trump had illicit and probably criminal connections to money-laundering, specifically through Russia-connected mobsters" was not already publicly reported in some detail throughout the decades prior to 2015, I might be more inclined to dive deeper into it.

But we both know the effort would be in vain. We're both perfectly aware that some moneyed people go for years or decades doing very bad things without getting charged. Cosby and Ailes are another two that come to mind.

Congress has been, for the better part of a year now, investigating Trump's alleged tax evasion and ... discrepancies. The Trump administration and DOJ have been obstructing what Congress, by law, has clear power to obtain.

Once again, I was able to access the NYT article through an alt profile that doesn't have my subscriber login. Not sure if you're burned through your 5 articles per month but most folks should be able to read the link without triggering the paywall.

--Sam

Comment

If "Trump had illicit and probably criminal connections to money-laundering, specifically through Russia-connected mobsters" was not already publicly reported in some detail throughout the decades prior to 2015, I might be more inclined to dive deeper into it.

But we both know the effort would be in vain. We're both perfectly aware that some moneyed people go for years or decades doing very bad things without getting charged. Cosby and Ailes are another two that come to mind.

Congress has been, for the better part of a year now, investigating Trump's alleged tax evasion and ... discrepancies. The Trump administration and DOJ have been obstructing what Congress, by law, has clear power to obtain.

Once again, I was able to access the NYT article through an alt profile that doesn't have my subscriber login. Not sure if you're burned through your 5 articles per month but most folks should be able to read the link without triggering the paywall.

--Sam
                          That’s right Sam, a year long ordeal, that seems to have faded from public memory will totally expose Trump is a criminal, but the very same congressmen, that are investigating Trump’s tax fraud, preferred to make up new charges to charge Trump with and didn’t even bother to mention all that tax fraud they are currently in the middle on investigating. Makes perfect sense!!! Democrats have been trying for years to nail him to the wall, but now you’re saying they have it, but for an unknown reason, they choose not to remind the public of it and instead choose to make up crimes to charge him with.
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I'm not sure y'all listen to yourselves anymore...
                            Sam, reality check.... if the Democrats actually had anything, they blew it bigtime by rushing an incredibly partisan sham impeachment.

They screwed up so badly that they...
                            A) LOST support from the American public
                            2) LOST a few Democrats along the way
                            C) Realized they screwed up so badly that they can't even present their "work product" to the Senate
                            D) They're raising YUGE money for Trump
                            5) They've pretty much guaranteed his relection.

Try gloating on that for a bit while you relentlessly re-litigate the impeachment.

Comment

Sam, reality check.... if the Democrats actually had anything, they blew it bigtime by rushing an incredibly partisan sham impeachment.

They screwed up so badly that they...
                              A) LOST support from the American public
                              2) LOST a few Democrats along the way
                              C) Realized they screwed up so badly that they can't even present their "work product" to the Senate
                              D) They're raising YUGE money for Trump
                              5) They've pretty much guaranteed his relection.

Try gloating on that for a bit while you relentlessly re-litigate the impeachment.
                              For Sam’s version of events, to be true, you have to believe that Trump truly is playing 4D chess and his opponents are playing Go Fish.
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

For Sam’s version of events, to be true, you have to believe that Trump truly is playing 4D chess and his opponents are playing Go Fish.
                                All I can say is --- keep it up, Dems! You're KILLIN it!

Comment