Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Take This Impeachment And Shove It...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
    Defend it where? The court hasn’t been asked to do anything here. Matters need to be taken to the court, the court doesn’t go seeking them out. If the house has the power to subpoena then they don’t have to defend each one in court to legitimise it. If they did then they don’t actually have subpoena power.
    Actually, it was taken to court. The House then dropped the subpoena.

And the House could have sought relief from the courts when the supposed subpoenas were ignored but it didn't bother.

The argument then was that there wasn't enough time for a court battle. But now the House is withholding the articles which makes a total lie of the argument.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

And the House could have sought relief from the courts when the supposed subpoenas were ignored but it didn't bother.

The argument then was that there wasn't enough time for a court battle. But now the House is withholding the articles which makes a total lie of the argument.
      The point is the House is not required to take it to court. There’s no requirement that every avenue to enforce the subpoena must be exhausted before obstruction can be established.

Bear in mind (I know you disagree but consider the argument) Trump refused to cooperate, instructed others to do the same and publicly ridiculed anyone that did. The obstruction had arguably become a greater threat than the Ukraine incident.

As a general principle would you agree that a president who refuses to cooperate to this extent in any constitutional process is an impeachable offence?

Comment

The point is the House is not required to take it to court. There’s no requirement that every avenue to enforce the subpoena must be exhausted before obstruction can be established.

Bear in mind (I know you disagree but consider the argument) Trump refused to cooperate, instructed others to do the same and publicly ridiculed anyone that did. The obstruction had arguably become a greater threat than the Ukraine incident.

As a general principle would you agree that a president who refuses to cooperate to this extent in any constitutional process is an impeachable offence?
        No, I would not.

You're forgetting two things. The first is that as a coequal branch the Executive has no obligation to observe extraconstitutional demands made by the Legislature except as established in precedent and law. Second, related to the first, is that the precedent exists as established in the Nixon inquiry.

Per the case law from the Nixon administration, the Executive does possess a limited privilege to withhold information from Congress regardless of subpoena or other legal devices. The remedy if Congress believes it has a right to the information is to appeal to the Court.

The House could have correctly authorized the subpoenas and requested certiorari as per rule, precedent and law. The House has not established the case for overriding executive privilege and never attempted to do so. Privilege therefore stands and there is no basis for obstruction.

Heck, I don't think obstruction would have been a legitimate article against Nixon based only on the subpoenas.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

There’s no requirement that every avenue to enforce the subpoena must be exhausted before obstruction can be established.
          The committee issued demand letters. Trump said, "Stick it up your backside, I'm invoking executive privilege!" If the Democrats don't bother to try and enforce the letters (and in fact, the letters stipulated no penalty for noncompliance) then they are, by their non-action, implicitly conceding that Trump's invocation of executive privilege is legitimate and proper.

To put it another way:

Prosecutor: "Here's a subpoena."
          Defendant: "I'm contesting it in court."
          Prosecutor: "In that case, I rescind the subpoena, and I'm charging you with obstruction instead!"

It doesn't work this way.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            The committee issued demand letters. Trump said, "Stick it up your backside, I'm invoking executive privilege!" If the Democrats don't bother to try and enforce the letters (and in fact, the letters stipulated no penalty for noncompliance) then they are, by their non-action, implicitly conceding that Trump's invocation of executive privilege is legitimate and proper.

To put it another way:

Prosecutor: "Here's a subpoena."
            Defendant: "I'm contesting it in court."
            Prosecutor: "In that case, I rescind the subpoena, and I'm charging you with obstruction instead!"

It doesn't work this way.
            This isn't a court, it's congress, the subpoena power is not in question, but since no president has ever before contemptibly defied congresses Constitutional responsibility to oversee the executive, he got away with it, so far. But Senators are now going to have to publicly vote on whether to continue with the Trump cover-up, or allow for a fair trial allowing the blocked documents and witnesses in as evidence.

But tell me something, MM, why don't you also want to see this previously blocked evidence?
            Last edited by JimL; 12-22-2019, 07:39 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
              This isn't a court, it's congress, the subpoena power is not in question, but since no president has ever before contemptibly defied congresses Constitutional responsibility to oversee the executive, he got away with it, so far. But Senators are now going to have to publicly vote on whether to continue with the Trump cover-up, or allow for a fair trial allowing the blocked documents and witnesses in as evidence.

But tell me something, MM, why don't you also want to see this previously blocked evidence?
              If the committee's subpoena power wasn't in question then why didn't they defend the demand letters in court? Why did they rescind them the moment someone asked a court to decide if they were legitimate?

And personally, I'm all for the Senate conducting a full trial and handing out subpoenas to everybody, including Joe and Hunter Biden, Adam Schiff, and Eric Ciaramella. And let them recall the previous witnesses and subject them to a grueling cross examination. What do you think the Democrats would say to that?

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post

Ever hear of Nixon?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

The necessity to unnecessarily resort to the courts to rule on an already established principle– with the intent to extensively delay the hearings, what with appeals etc., is in itself a deliberate and calculated Obstruction of Congress.
                  “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
                    The necessity to unnecessarily resort to the courts to rule on an already established principle– with the intent to extensively delay the hearings, what with appeals etc., is in itself a deliberate and calculated Obstruction of Congress.
                    The Trump administration has every right to invoke executive privilege and challenge the demand letters in court. Whatever you think the "intent" might be, it's not illegal or improper to appeal to the judiciary to settle disputes.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                      Except they aren't opinions, they are facts. I mean seriously, the President admitted it himself on the lawn of the White House. "I think if they were honest they would investigate the Bidens." "I think China should investigate them as well."
                      They are "facts" in the same way that three and four times removed hearsay gossip is "evidence."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        The Trump administration has every right to invoke executive privilege and challenge the demand letters in court. Whatever you think the "intent" might be, it's not illegal or improper to appeal to the judiciary to settle disputes.
                        It’s the delaying tactics that are in question. Congressional rules empower all its standing committees with the authority to compel witnesses to produce testimony and documents. And no doubt the courts would rule thus - but not for a long time, plus undoubted endless appeals. This is clearly the “intent” and one can only wonder why the desire for delay. But I suggest we both know the answer to that, giving rise to the obvious question namely, as with Trump's tax returns, what's he hiding.
                        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          They are "facts" in the same way that three and four times removed hearsay gossip is "evidence."
                          Easily resolved if this is seen to be a problem (it really isn't), namely Trump can unblock key witnesses.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                            Easily resolved if this is seen to be a problem (it really isn't), namely Trump can unblock key witnesses.
                            You should listen to Uncle Blazer on Mueller She Wrote #29, starting at 42mins. about Dem strategy. We might not see a trial for a few months yet.
                            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                            “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                              Why would he do that given how the leftists twist everything? They color even the most mundane things as evil.
                              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
                                It’s the delaying tactics that are in question. Congressional rules empower all its standing committees with the authority to compel witnesses to produce testimony and documents. And no doubt the courts would rule thus - but not for a long time, plus undoubted endless appeals. This is clearly the “intent” and one can only wonder why the desire for delay. But I suggest we both know the answer to that, giving rise to the obvious question namely, as with Trump's tax returns, what's he hiding.
                                Right... Democrats are so worried about Trump delaying impeachment that they have put the articles on indefinite hold instead of sending them immediately to the Senate.

Comment