Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Take This Impeachment And Shove It...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They don't even have the guts to make the inquiry official with a vote. They're not going to arrest anybody. This is nothing but an intimidation tactic.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      They don't even have the guts to make the inquiry official with a vote. They're not going to arrest anybody. This is nothing but an intimidation tactic.
      Well, it certainly is a tactic, and a wise one at that. You'll will get to see the testimony/evidence etc in the end anyway, so what are you woorried about.
      Last edited by JimL; 10-14-2019, 06:39 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
        I double dog dare them!
        Don't want to know the facts, do you, seer? Ya'll should stop worrying about yourselves having been conned by this crooked thug, and start worrying about your country.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
          Well, it certainly is a tactic, and a wise one at that. You'll will get to see the testimony/evidence etc in the end anyway, so what are you woorried about.
          “You don’t want to consent to having your house searched? What are you trying to hide?”

There’s this thing called the constitution, heard of it?
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
            I'm not "wooried" about the facts coming out, I'm "wooried" that the Democrats are trampling on due process behind closed doors. If they can do it to the President of the United States then what's to stop them from doing it to you?

Comment

I'm not "wooried" about the facts coming out, I'm "wooried" that the Democrats are trampling on due process behind closed doors. If they can do it to the President of the United States then what's to stop them from doing it to you?
              Yes, I believe you are, MM. But if you're not, you should be. Besides that, this is an investigation, not a trial, there is no trampling of due process. You and lilpix have no idea what you are talking about!

Comment

Yes, I believe you are, MM. But if you're not, you should be. Besides that, this is an investigation, not a trial, there is no trampling of due process. You and lilpix have no idea what you are talking about!
                “You’re not in trouble, but we just want to search your house for an investigation.”

I hope that sounded better in your head than when you said it out loud.
                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                  “You’re not in trouble, but we just want to search your house for an investigation.”

I hope that sounded better in your head than when you said it out loud.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                    Why should I be "wooried"? If the facts show that Trump broke the law, then he should be held accountable. I don't have a problem with that. It's just that we have no good reason to believe that any laws were broken.

But even an investigation must follow due process. It's why the police can't simply stroll into your house to see what you're up to, or arrest you without cause and subject you to hours of questioning, or subpoena your bank records without a warrant.

Comment

I can see why you don’t understand, so let’s try again Jimmy:

The police can’t just question you or search your belongings and ignore your rights on the claim that they are not putting you on trial, but simply doing an investigation. Same with Congress, without a legal summon, you don’t have to subject yourself to even showing up. No subpoena, there’s not a darn thing they can do to make anyone show up. Most of these congressmen are lawyers, they know this. They are just hoping the average citizen doesn’t.
                      Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 10-14-2019, 10:03 PM.
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

They don't even have the guts to make the inquiry official with a vote.
                        They don't have to. The Constitution gives the House "sole power of impeachment," allowing it "may determine the rules of its own proceedings."

They're not going to arrest anybody.
                        We will see who is arrested at the end of the day. Trump is already surrounded by felon associates, including his personal fixer/lawyer Michael Cohen...soon to be followed by Rudy Giuliani it seems.
                        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Fiona Hill testifies, ISIL in Syria, Giuliani; more nails in Trump’s coffin.
                          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
                            They don't have to. The Constitution gives the House "sole power of impeachment," allowing it "may determine the rules of its own proceedings."
                            That's more or less correct, similar to how the police can conduct a limited investigation based on public information, but they must secure the approval of the court if they want to issue subpoenas and warrants (at least that's how it works in the US). In the case of a House inquiry, any committee that wishes to do the same must secure the approval of the House with a majority vote. This is why the Trump administration is right to ignore the House's "demand letters" because they are legally worthless even though Democrats are falsely calling them subpoenas.

The thing is, the Democrats have the numerical advantage and could make it all official today if they wanted, so why won't they? What are they afraid of?

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post

We will see who is arrested at the end of the day. Trump is already surrounded by felon associates, including his personal fixer/lawyer Michael Cohen...soon to be followed by Rudy Giuliani it seems.
                              It’s interesting that John Bolton would have nothing to do with it. Just waiting now for a few Reps to grow a spine. Trump is not the resigning type unfortunately, and his followers are steadfastly bonkers.
                              “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                              “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                              “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                                It’s interesting that John Bolton would have nothing to do with it. Just waiting now for a few Reps to grow a spine. Trump is not the resigning type unfortunately, and his followers are steadfastly bonkers.
                                Yeah, but then again John Bolton is part of the "deep state."

Comment