Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Take This Impeachment And Shove It...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
    So says the blind man.
    And here we go - --
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I do? How do you know that?

He has never talked to me, Jim. Never.

That's a lie, and repeating it over and over just shows the kind of you are.
      Sure, CP.

Comment

CP, you believe Trump when he said he withheld the aid because he was concerned about corruption. I showed you that he is lying to you.
        Not by a country mile, Jim.
        Your refusal to actually answer to that shows who is in the bubble. Facts don't have any effect on you.
        CEPG0BtWoAAlovd.jpg

JimL strikes again!
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
            There's no obligation to comply with unlawful demands - and the burden would not be on the accused in a congressional matter unless or until Congress sought enforcement.

And, no, it's not. You (general) can commit obstruction of justice in relation to a congressional committee's LAWFUL actions - but there is no such crime as obstruction of congress.

In a House full of lawyers, this is damning. They wouldn't have accidentally said 'congress' meaning 'justice' - so, why the wording? Most reasonable conclusion is that they KNEW the could not prove the elements of obstruction of justice.
            You guys are thinking about it in the wrong setting. Let’s say it was an unlawful demand so you ignored it. Because of that they claim obstruction and use it as evidence in articles of Impeachment. The only way to stop them is to take them to court meaning the burden is on you.

I’m not talking about what’s allowed or not allowed in court but what they did out of court.

Congress has sent multiple subpoenas to Trump which were ignored. Attempts to enforce through courts have taken much time and Trump appeals all the losses and nothing has been resolved.

Pelosi then took the control out of the courts and instead of trying to enforce other subpoenas the tactic became to use the non compliance as evidence of obstruction. They drop any new court actions and start publicly claiming obstruction and pointing out all the ignored subpoenas.

Republicans are in a position where they have to defend the president by claiming unfairness and illegitimacy of the proceedings but they can’t deny the democrats from using the obstruction evidence for one of the articles of impeachment unless they take it to court and hope for an unlikely win.

I think my initial comment was just saying this was a good move.

Comment

I'm sure they get some small donors who are to ignorant to understand that Trump couldn't care less about them but the larger portion of there money is coming from wealthy donors who understand that hedging their bets aren't going to help them this go round.
              Source: Western Journal

The Trump campaign alone received 1.1 million individual donations last quarter, Fox News reported.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Not 'some' - a significant proportion.

He's not actively running compared to the Democrats entire field yet he's blowing them all out of the water in fundraising. That's not 'just the base' or 'party loyalists' - there are a LOT of the American people supporting Trump with their wallets.

2020 is gonna be a looooooooooooooooooong year for the Dems.
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
                You guys are thinking about it in the wrong setting. Let’s say it was an unlawful demand so you ignored it. Because of that they claim obstruction and use it as evidence in articles of Impeachment. The only way to stop them is to take them to court meaning the burden is on you.
                You are omitting that unlike the rest of us the President has the right of Executive Privilege. That makes it a whole 'nuther ball game.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
                  Precedent says otherwise - the House went to the Court when Nixon claimed exec privilege. Coequal branches can equal funky proceedings.

I’m not talking about what’s allowed or not allowed in court but what they did out of court.
                  For which the House never sought relief in court.

Congress has sent multiple subpoenas to Trump which were ignored. Attempts to enforce through courts have taken much time and Trump appeals all the losses and nothing has been resolved.
                  The House had recourse - request certiorari. They didn't do it. Why? Well, 'demand letters' aren't actually subpoenas - and if they thought they were valid, the House Dems would have been knocking on the Court's doorstep. Roberts and Gorsuch, and likely Alito and Kavenaugh would have almost certainly sided with the House IF the subpoenas were valid. But if not, RBG and Breyer would almost certainly sided against.

Pelosi then took the control out of the courts and instead of trying to enforce other subpoenas the tactic became to use the non compliance as evidence of obstruction. They drop any new court actions and start publicly claiming obstruction and pointing out all the ignored subpoenas.
                  Proving that she wasn't sure of their validity - optically, a 9-0 decision against Trump would have won this for the Dems. Instead, they shied away - because the 7-2 against the House was more likely.

Republicans are in a position where they have to defend the president by claiming unfairness and illegitimacy of the proceedings but they can’t deny the democrats from using the obstruction evidence for one of the articles of impeachment unless they take it to court and hope for an unlikely win.
                  Dude, they ARE the court now. This doesn't go to the High Court - it goes to the Senate. The Republicans will hammer home that unlike the Nixon inquiry, the House didn't authorize the Judiciary committee and the 'inquiry' was run in the basement by Intel - also without authorization, which is why the subpoenas are in question - per Wilkinson - to the Senate and the American people. The case for 'obstruction' is already DOA.

I think my initial comment was just saying this was a good move.
                  Maybe - but you were mistaken. It's a stupid move that undercuts the Dems logic in not going to the Court in the first place.
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                    Source: Western Journal

The Trump campaign alone received 1.1 million individual donations last quarter, Fox News reported.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Not 'some' - a significant proportion.

He's not actively running compared to the Democrats entire field yet he's blowing them all out of the water in fundraising. That's not 'just the base' or 'party loyalists' - there are a LOT of the American people supporting Trump with their wallets.

2020 is gonna be a looooooooooooooooooong year for the Dems.
                    The most significant portion of his donations come from big money donors.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      She was trying so hard not to laugh at the cheering.
                      To me, that looks more like Mad Mom face.
                      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                        To me, that looks more like Mad Mom face.
                        To me, it looks like mad wife face. Though, personally, I've never seen that in MY house.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The most significant portion of his donations come from big money donors.
                          The most significant portion of his votes come from little or no money donors.

Comment

... The Democrats have shot themselves in the foot with Javelin missiles.
                            Missile Toes -- How seasonal.
                            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                              Missile Toes -- How seasonal.

Comment

The most significant portion of his votes come from little or no money donors.
                                The most significant portion of his votes come from uninformed, misinformed, easily led, members of the tribe.

Comment