Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Take This Impeachment And Shove It...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    I suppose that, since Mitch controls what is brought to the floor, the Senate could choose to sit on this indefinitely* as well.

*although I suspect either chamber would run into the limit imposed by the Congress being sworn in after next year's election.
    Either way, the Democrats have handed Trump an incredible campaign issue to exploit.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      It may not matter...

Politico outlined Democrats’ new idea, citing constitutional lawyer Laurence Tribe (but, interestingly, not the Constitution itself). Pelosi hopes to pressure McConnell into holding a “fair trial” — this, after she and her party broke every relevant House rule and precedent, and several Amendments in the Bill of Rights, all in the name of their “sole Power of Impeachment.”

They forget that a “fair trial” applies to the accused, not the accuser, and has since 1215.

Set aside, for the moment, that holding onto the articles of impeachment would contradict everything Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA) and the Democrats have said for weeks about the “urgency” of impeachment. They needed to stop him before he could “cheat in the next election,” we were told — that’s why the House could not wait for the courts to rule on the White House’s resistance to stop congressional subpoenas.

All of that would be exposed as a lie.

If Pelosi refuses to submit the articles of impeachment to the Senate, McConnell can convene the Senate anyway, summon the Chief Justice, and swear in the Senators as jurors. Democrats can boycott, but they can’t stop the trial.

McConnell can then propose to dismiss the charges or even hold a vote to acquit the president.

Pelosi can hide the articles of impeachment in Adam Schiff’s basement forever, and it won’t make a bit of difference.

Case closed.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...-constitution/
      Yeah, the Constitution doesn't establish rules of order. The House role is over. Nothing stops the Senate now.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
        Have you heard the Dingell story? Trump is a monster.
        Is Trump of the under-the-bed variety, or does he prefer the closet?
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
          I remember the last post Trump elections, democrats won across the board, including in red states.
          Because the republicans had control and didn't do anything, especially with healthcare. But when the Dems took control, they did worse than nothing. They done nothing and spent billions in tax dollars trying to impeach Trump for the last 3 years. People are sick of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
            Have you heard the Dingell story? Trump is a monster.
            He's crass, but what was monstrous about it?

Battle Creek — President Donald Trump took aim at a few Michigan Democrats Wednesday during a campaign rally as the Michigan House Democratic delegation joined their colleagues in voting to impeach him.

Trump also targeted U.S. Rep. Debbie Dingell, D-Dearborn, for voting to impeach and took a poke at her late husband John, suggesting the longtime Catholic and longest-serving member of Congress in the U.S. might be in hell.

Trump said he gave U.S. Rep. John Dingell the "A+" treatment in terms of funeral honors earlier this year. In return, Debbie Dingell then extended to Trump the "most profuse thank you" for the funeral honors and said her husband was "looking down" on them, the president said

"I said that's OK. Don't worry about it. Maybe he’s looking up, I don’t know. Maybe," Trump said to a mixture of groans, laughter and applause from the crowd.

“But let's assume he's looking down."

It's the kind of thing I wish he wouldn't do, but I'm not as concerned the stupid things he says as the important promises he keeps.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Watermelon View Post
              It’s not goofy or made up. Obstruction of justice is perjury’s daddy. OOJ is more of an actual crime than perjury because perjury’s mother is lying who is not really a crime. Perjury is therefore, only half crime and half not really a crime.

OOJ is all crime and even rumoured to have founded the ‘interfering with administering justice’ family of crimes. If anything, OOJ has a better chance of being a high crime than perjury.

Focus groups were wise to summon him.
              Obstruction of Congress is NOT obstruction of justice - nor can the case be made here. The precedent was set in the Nixon inquiry - the House HAD recourse to the Court but did not take it. The Exec questioned the legitimacy of those particular subpoenas (under Wilkinson) and the House declined to defend their legitimacy and seek relief.

You can't make a case for obstruction of anything when a party makes a demand, the second party declines to comply with cause and the first party fails to seek relief - given the coequal nature of the branches, this is what we have here.
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                Is it OOJ when the investigation itself is rigged? How is fighting against an injust investigation an obstruction of justice. It would be more of an obstruction of injustice.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41510[/ATTACH]

Also, can you please cite the law it says that the President is not allowed to seek a ruling by the Supreme Court, you know the actual JUSTICE branch of the US Government?
                It looks like the democrats did well here. Instead of going to court to compel the witnesses, they just hit Trump with an obstruction of congress which is a crime according to s 1505

https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?...edition=prelim

Trump can seek a ruling but until then it’s obstruction.

Comment

Or bribing, or extorting a foreign government, or asking a foreign government to investigate a U.S citizen, or withholding congressionally appropriated aid from a fledgling democracy endangering our own national security simply in order to help himself politically. And that is only this specific case. Trump is also guilty of "obstruction of justice" in both this and the Mueller investigation no matter what they call it. Half of his corrupt campaign staff is already in prison, on their way to prison, under investigation, or resigned in disgrace. You Trumpsters are complicit, that's all there is to it.
                  This is delusional - if they could prove any of that, they'd have included it in the articles.

You rebels are complicit in a hysterically bad coup attempt, that's all there is to it.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

That's right, they couldn't wait, the reason for which they made clear. The crime is ongoing, and is meant to effect the 2020 election. But of course reason it seems is not a function applicable to republicans, so I'm not surprised you don't understand that.
                    But now they can wait before formally sending the articles to the Senate?

Your heroes are letting you down - and yes, we told you so.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Bring it on then! But of course that's easy for you to say, because you know that's not what Trump and his Senate allies are going to do.
                      Nothing stopping the House from trying again - other than it would reveal how badly they screwed this up.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

It looks like the democrats did well here. Instead of going to court to compel the witnesses, they just hit Trump with an obstruction of congress which is a crime according to s 1505

Is not. Until it is demonstrated that the investigation is "due and proper" there is no obstruction. That the impeachment inquiry dropped its requests rather than attempt to enforce them shows me that the requests were not "due and proper."

ETA: Which is still, by the by, under "obstruction of justice", not the Democrats' phantom "obstruction of congress" charge.
                        Last edited by One Bad Pig; 12-19-2019, 12:08 PM.
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

No, they did what was right, CP.

Well there are none so blind as those who choose not to see, i.e Trumpsters.

Well, I'm afraid there is no help for you Trumpsters, but we're trying.
                          Says the rebel supporting a coup attempt.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

You might want to read the definition of 1505.

Comment

“HOW DARE TRUMP WANTS DUE PROCESS AND THE RULE OF LAW!!!”

I sure hope that sounded better in your head than saying it out loud.
                              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Waiting for the courts would have taken years, CP. Just look at the McGahn case. Appeal, appeal, appeal. It's how Trump has always operated, it's his corrupt forte.
                                No, it would not. The Court would almost certainly have granted certiorari, as they did in the Nixon inquiry.

Quit making excuses for your failing coup attempt. We told you for months that this would happen when it reached the Senate, you said repeatedly that it didn't matter, and here we are. Deal with it.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment