Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Elizabeth Warren's Pregnant Pause

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Charles seems to make it his mission, Sam. I rarely see him posting anything other than his little swipes at us bad conservatives, and complaining about ad homs.
    I'm not seeing that but, even were it true, it's the wrong response. People get to jump in -- doesn't mean you have to respond to 'em but all this "nanny" stuff is inconsistent and irrelevant.

--Sam
    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
      I'm not seeing that ...
      I'm shocked.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yes; I, in fact, have argued here and elsewhere that the standard most folks (including some here) are trying to apply to SSM would demand that they decry an and forbid any remarriage and virtually all divorce. So either there's a principle at work in the Gospel regarding fidelity and family or a whole bunch of fundamentalists aren't just hypocritical but codifying such hypocrisy into their bylaws and congregations.

--Sam
        Would you be interested in a more in-depth discussion on this, probably in the Biblical Ethics section?
        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
          Would you be interested in a more in-depth discussion on this, probably in the Biblical Ethics section?
          I apologize but it wouldn't be anytime soon; I'm really not supposed to be spending all this time on here, anyhow and I expect the "Infrastructure Week" renovations at home to be done soon so I'll have no excuse to spend excess time at the PC.

It's a sincere request and an important topic, though, so if you want to start a thread let me know and I'll contribute a post -- doubt it will be persuasive to many but it'll lay out what I believe to be a rational case consistent with the evolution of Christian marriage over the centuries.
          "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Charles seems to make it his mission, Sam. I rarely see him posting anything other than his little swipes at us bad conservatives, and complaining about ad homs.
            well, why don't you test your theory. Stop posting ad homs and see if he has less to talk about.

Jim
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
              well, why don't you test your theory. Stop posting ad homs and see if he has less to talk about.

Jim
              I'm focusing my attention on being nice to JimL.

Baby steps, Jim.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Jim
                Or see if just once Charles actually complains about the same of behavior that triggers him when a conservative does it coming from those he agrees with that. Just once.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                  Really? You didn't yell 'gum gum pistol' or anything...
                  I usually save that for pirate captains. Landlubbers like CP don't rate breaking a sweat.

{Is that you, Nami?}
                  ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

On this issue, a whole lot of Christians have indeed lost sight of the Gospel and have put their own sense of security above the actual security -- and indeed lives -- of others that the Gospel commands us to focus on. I very much wish that wasn't so and there's always the opportunity for Christians, here and everywhere, to acknowledge and proclaim that the same Christ who said "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's" at a time taxes were being used to defile and desecrate the Temple commanded His followers to protect and tend to the widow, the orphan, and the stranger.

I don't find it arrogant to continue pleading for a return to the Gospel, here. That's what the Gospel says -- we don't make ourselves superior to arrogant to say so.

--Sam
                    Number of poor immigrants currently living with you:
                    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      I've seen nothing to make me think that Trump is any worse morally than the average person. I doubt that any of us would look so good if we were subjected to same intense scrutiny where he can't even tell a joke without being accused of lying.
                      This will fall into some opinion, but I say there can be a case made. The issue is when you make Trump into a cartoon villain, you lose any sort of bases in reality. It’s why Jim and Sam fall short so many times, they attack the cartoon they created and not the actually man.
                      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Y'all exercise the right to jump into discussions when you want and don't heckle other people when they jump in alongside you. This sort of thing would be self-defeating if you extended criticism of the behavior to most of the folks here ... and if you're unwilling to do that consistently then it's just unbecoming.

--Sam
                        My dear sweet Sam,

If Charles ever did anything other than trying to be a Nanny all the time, nobody would think twice about it. Did you ever think about that?
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Jim
                          Irony at its finest. Have you issued an apology for your latest false accusation?
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                            Irony at its finest. Have you issued an apology for your latest false accusation?
                            I think you've wandered off in the weeds again ...
                            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                              Number of poor immigrants currently living with you:
                              There is nothing in line with the scriptural concepts Sam referenced that is in between "get out of here you filthy immigrant" and "oh, please, please, PLEASE come live with me"?

Jim

Comment

There is nothing in line with the scriptural concepts Sam referenced that is in between "get out of here you filthy immigrant" and "oh, please, please, PLEASE come live with me"?

Jim
                                And there you go again, making your opponents into cartoon villains, to make it easier to refute them. There’s a whole bunch of positions between those two extremes.
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment