Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Elizabeth Warren's Pregnant Pause

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Actually, Charles, I am VERY focused on those around me when it comes to abortion, because I'm very involved in our LOCAL pregnancy center, and the lives of the women and families and babies who benefit therefrom, as well as the faith-based mission we run that meets people every day at the point of their need.

But feel free to try again.
    But you wouldn't make the point that abortion would be any less worse if it happened in another country or to people whom you did not know? If so, then why the seeming lack of concern for those who are born and come from what your president likes to call xxxxhole countries and those small children who are separated from their parents with no plans for reunification? And why do you continue to try to avoid answering those questions creating all that noise? It is so very, very simple but it seems there is no end to what you would rather talk about than that.
    "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
      Cow Poke, are you really unable to adress the points made and thus in need to make it look as if I respond based on the assumption he cannot answer?
      So, back to ignoring the point....

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Can you give your best example of when you actually weighed in on a matter that wasn't "nannying" somebody else's post?
      All you're doing right now is acting like some kind of self-appointed referee. Kinda like a nanny.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I did not.
        I trust that any interested reader will be able to do so though...
        "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

So, back to ignoring the point....
          Well since you have not answered it is rather obvious you are ingoring the points. And since all your noise is made in order to avoid some very simple but strong moral points made by Sam it seems rather obvious what it is you are trying to take focus away from.

And the more noise you make the more obvious it is going to be.

Comment

But you wouldn't make the point that abortion would be any less worse if it happened in another country or to people whom you did not know?
            I'm pro-life across the board, Charles. But I am actually involved locally to a pretty big degree.

If so, then why the seeming lack of concern for those who are born and come from what your president likes to call xxxxhole countries and those small children who are separated from their parents with no plans for reunification?
            I've already addressed this numerous times, but I'll do it once more, just for you.
            I have never defended Trump's morality, and there are plenty of others attacking him at every turn. I don't feel it necessary to pile on.
            I prefer to focus my energies where I can actually make a difference.

And why do you continue to try to avoid answering those questions creating all that noise? It is so very, very simple but it seems there is no end to what you would rather talk about than that.
            How bout answering the question...

Can you give your best example of when you actually weighed in on a matter that wasn't "nannying" somebody else's post?
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Well since you have not answered it is rather obvious you are ingoring the points. And since all your noise is made in order to avoid some very simple but strong moral points made by Sam it seems rather obvious what it is you are trying to take focus away from.

And the more noise you make the more obvious it is going to be.
              Sure, Charles, whatever you say.

Comment

I trust that any interested reader will be able to do so though...
                you betcha

Comment

I'm pro-life across the board, Charles. But I am actually involved locally to a pretty big degree.
                  Great. It seems, though, that you are rather concerned when anyone starts to talk about this in a bigger perspective and not only focusing locally on your area.

I've already addressed this numerous times, but I'll do it once more, just for you.
                  I have never defended Trump's morality, and there are plenty of others attacking him at every turn. I don't feel it necessary to pile on.
                  I prefer to focus my energies where I can actually make a difference.
                  That seems not to be the case. Though you do not defend Trump you are quite concerned about changing focus as soon as anyone takes issues not only with him but some of the evangelicals who support him when he is doing what is morally wrong. When it comes to his policies and the human consequences you want to silence those who point those out. You have just tried to do so with Sam and you have used unworthy methods against him. So while you may not say that what Trump is doing what is good you use a lot of time posting against those who point out that it is bad. And that in itself clearly shows that you are not only concerned about what is happening locally. If that was your only concern you would not care what I or Sam wrote. However, it seems you are very concerned about it though you don't support Trump.

How bout answering the question...
                  It is your claim that I nanny. An ad hominem by the way. I gave you a link to a thread I started if you find it a problem that I invervene in other discussions. I also wrote very long posts in it. The fact that you continue to ask seems to me to be making even more noise. But anyway here is the link to the first post (surprisingly written by me since it was my thread): http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post450004

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
                    I don't need to relitigate the entire breadth of how y'all are being willfully ignorant of the situation. The Trump administration is taking people who legally applied for asylum and putting them in indefinite detention. They're refusing people access to asylum by "metering" points of entry down to a negligible number of applicants per day. They are taking people who legally apply for asylum at PoEs and turning them back into Mexico while they "wait" for their asylum trial.

Y'all are just stuck using a false dichotomy without taking even a small amount of time to learn what's happening to legal asylum seekers. Not that it matters: the idea that you have to "give to Caesar what is Caesar's" by baking a wedding cake is worse than locking up immigrants for years while they await an asylum trial because they crossed the Rio Grand 100m from a PoE isn't just ludicrous, it's deeply sinful -- the straining of a gnat to swallow a camel.

And if someone tries to flip that around to make baking a cake more morally compromising than putting asylum seekers in jail for years or sending them back into dangerous territory, I'm going to call them on it so others can see that not all Christians have gone insane.

--Sam
                    I think this was a very important post that may now have gotten lost in a lot of noise. The points made here is what a lot of the following posts seemingly tried to take focus away from.

Comment

Great. It seems, though, that you are rather concerned when anyone starts to talk about this in a bigger perspective and not only focusing locally on your area.
                      Sue me.

That seems not to be the case. Though you do not defend Trump you are quite concerned about changing focus as soon as anyone takes issues not only with him but some of the evangelicals who support him when he is doing what is morally wrong.
                      I think you're seeing what you want to see, Charles.

When it comes to his policies and the human consequences you want to silence those who point those out.
                      That would be a false accusation on your part.

You have just tried to do so with Sam and you have used unworthy methods against him. So while you may not say that what Trump is doing what is good you use a lot of time posting against those who point out that it is bad. And that in itself clearly shows that you are not only concerned about what is happening locally. If that was your only concern you would not care what I or Sam wrote. However, it seems you are very concerned about it though you don't support Trump.
                      So, I don't glom onto the "hate Trump" narrative, so.... did you really think that through, Charles?

It is your claim that I nanny. An ad hominem by the way.
                      I'll try to do better about not calling you a nanny, even though your conduct is very much nannyish. Would that make you feel better?

I gave you a link to a thread I started if you find it a problem that I invervene in other discussions. I also wrote very long posts in it. The fact that you continue to ask seems to me to be making even more noise. But anyway here is the link to the first post (surprisingly written by me since it was my thread): http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post450004
                      Yes, I finally figured out what you were trying to say in your very obfuscating manner --- and, congratulations, TWO YEARS ago, you started a thread!

Comment

I think this was a very important post that may now have gotten lost in a lot of noise. The points made here is what a lot of the following posts seemingly tried to take focus away from.
                        Do you put on your cape and mask, before posting?
                        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                          We are so very blessed to have him as our referee.

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                            We are so very blessed to have him as our referee.
                            Y'all exercise the right to jump into discussions when you want and don't heckle other people when they jump in alongside you. This sort of thing would be self-defeating if you extended criticism of the behavior to most of the folks here ... and if you're unwilling to do that consistently then it's just unbecoming.

--Sam
                            "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
                              Y'all exercise the right to jump into discussions when you want and don't heckle other people when they jump in alongside you. This sort of thing would be self-defeating if you extended criticism of the behavior to most of the folks here ... and if you're unwilling to do that consistently then it's just unbecoming.

--Sam
                              Charles seems to make it his mission, Sam. I rarely see him posting anything other than his little swipes at us bad conservatives, and complaining about ad homs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                                Do you see an abandonment of biblical sexual ethics as a Gospel issue?

Yes; I, in fact, have argued here and elsewhere that the standard most folks (including some here) are trying to apply to SSM would demand that they decry an and forbid any remarriage and virtually all divorce. So either there's a principle at work in the Gospel regarding fidelity and family or a whole bunch of fundamentalists aren't just hypocritical but codifying such hypocrisy into their bylaws and congregations.

--Sam
                                "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment