Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Elizabeth Warren's Pregnant Pause

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
    So you agree?
    No, just placating you.

I try. Whether I succed is up for others to answer.
    Can you give your best example of when you actually weighed in on a matter that wasn't "nannying" somebody else's post?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Yeah, I have TOTALLY abandoned the Gospel, and need the likes of you to shame me.

Perhaps, though, you might find a less arrogant way to do it.

On this issue, a whole lot of Christians have indeed lost sight of the Gospel and have put their own sense of security above the actual security -- and indeed lives -- of others that the Gospel commands us to focus on. I very much wish that wasn't so and there's always the opportunity for Christians, here and everywhere, to acknowledge and proclaim that the same Christ who said "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's" at a time taxes were being used to defile and desecrate the Temple commanded His followers to protect and tend to the widow, the orphan, and the stranger.

I don't find it arrogant to continue pleading for a return to the Gospel, here. That's what the Gospel says -- we don't make ourselves superior to arrogant to say so.

--Sam
      "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
        On this issue, a whole lot of Christians have indeed lost sight of the Gospel and have put their own sense of security above the actual security -- and indeed lives -- of others that the Gospel commands us to focus on. I very much wish that wasn't so and there's always the opportunity for Christians, here and everywhere, to acknowledge and proclaim that the same Christ who said "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's" at a time taxes were being used to defile and desecrate the Temple commanded His followers to protect and tend to the widow, the orphan, and the stranger.

I don't find it arrogant to continue pleading for a return to the Gospel, here. That's what the Gospel says -- we don't make ourselves superior to arrogant to say so.

--Sam
        Do you believe that Christians should give to everybody who claims to have a need, or is it OK for us to exercise discernment?
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

No, just placating you.
          Avoding the point again. When someone actually makes a moral point it seems your main concern is to make it all about the poster and not the issue.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Can you give your best example of when you actually weighed in on a matter that wasn't "nannying" somebody else's post?
          Pointing out that you avoid the points and make ad hominems is not nannying. You might want to read this:

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...tion-of-ethics
          "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

--Sam
            Do you see an abandonment of biblical sexual ethics as a Gospel issue?
            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

On this issue, a whole lot of Christians have indeed lost sight of the Gospel
              That's unfair, Sam. They may have "lost sight" of the particular aspect(s) of the Gospel that you emphasize, but, IMOHBAO, that's an unfair judgmental claim.

and have put their own sense of security above the actual security -- and indeed lives -- of others that the Gospel commands us to focus on.
              I'm focused on those around me - those about whom I can actually do something.

I very much wish that wasn't so and there's always the opportunity for Christians, here and everywhere, to acknowledge and proclaim that the same Christ who said "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's" at a time taxes were being used to defile and desecrate the Temple commanded His followers to protect and tend to the widow, the orphan, and the stranger.
              So, in the "give to Caesar" aspect, do you think Jesus (or Paul) would advocate the breaking of the law?

--Sam
              Yeah, you just have a "way of doing it" that doesn't exactly win the hearts and minds...
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                Do you believe that Christians should give to everybody who claims to have a need, or is it OK for us to exercise discernment?
                Based on all the points Sam made then how come that is what you find to be the most important question?
                "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Avoding the point again.
                  Meddling in others' affairs again.

When someone actually makes a moral point it seems your main concern is to make it all about the poster and not the issue.
                  How bout hushin just a bit, cause I'm actually responding to Sam.

Pointing out that you avoid the points and make ad hominems is not nannying. You might want to read this:

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...tion-of-ethics
                  You linked to a whole thread - do you actually have a specific point, Charles? I'm not gonna read the whole thread to try to figure out what you're trying to say.

Comment

Avoding the point again.
                    Yes, you are, so lemme give you another opportunity...

Comment

That's unfair, Sam. They may have "lost sight" of the particular aspect(s) of the Gospel that you emphasize, but, IMOHBAO, that's an unfair judgmental claim.
                      And of course you did note that he said: "On this issue, a whole lot of Christians have indeed lost sight of the Gospel" Emphasis mine and should not be needed, but then....

I'm focused on those around me - those about whom I can actually do something.
                      When it comes to abortion you seem to be focused on quite many who are not around you. When it comes to the strangers, those from xxxxhole countries and those small children who are separated from their parents it seems you like to change focus. Like when it comes to the unborn the policies you support, the voices raised and the points made and even your vote makes a difference. I wonder why some of you are so concerned about covering that up. You have made so much noise in this thread just because Sam brings that up.

Comment

And of course you did note that he said:....
                        Charles, do you really think Sam is incapable of responding for himself?

Comment

You linked to a whole thread - do you actually have a specific point, Charles? I'm not gonna read the whole thread to try to figure out what you're trying to say.
                          And of course you did note who started the thread and wrote a rather long introduction...

Comment

Charles, do you really think Sam is incapable of responding for himself?
                            Cow Poke, are you really unable to adress the points made and thus in need to make it look as if I respond based on the assumption he cannot answer?

Comment

When it comes to abortion you seem to be focused on quite many who are not around you....
                              Actually, Charles, I am VERY focused on those around me when it comes to abortion, because I'm very involved in our LOCAL pregnancy center, and the lives of the women and families and babies who benefit therefrom, as well as the faith-based mission we run that meets people every day at the point of their need.

But feel free to try again.

Comment

And of course you did note who started the thread and wrote a rather long introduction...
                                I did not.

Comment