Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Elizabeth Warren's Pregnant Pause

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
    You were responding to a post I wrote describing LPOT's misconception as a middle-school-level mistake. So I was maintaining continuity to that thread.

If you want me to respond to your points, you're gonna have to specify that when you jump in with a response to a post concerning hers.

--Sam
    Huh, I got that one wrong - I thought for sure I'd never hear the end of it when I defended your point as correct - you didn't even remember all the way through the thread.

I got into this part of the discussion agreeing with you.

Pay attention!
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      Huh, I got that one wrong - I thought for sure I'd never hear the end of it when I defended your point as correct - you didn't even remember all the way through the thread.

I got into this part of the discussion agreeing with you.

Pay attention!

And I'm thankful for it.

But you were responding to a post where I was addressing LPOT and her argument -- and the content of that response both tied directly to that discussion and didn't provide any real content of its own. So of course I'm not going to switch over to your point made earlier ... especially when my last substantive response to your argument received only the statement that I "wouldn't know survey research from a hole in [my] head."

I think a big disconnect here is that I'm responding to arguments and orienting my posts toward that and you're responding to people and orienting your posts toward that. Both approaches have their merits but I think the argument-centric approach must be dominant on a forum and thread where we're debating positions and points, not whether people are geniuses or jerks.

--Sam
      "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
        Oops, my mistake. I need to say sorry for the wrong response.
        No worries. I was a bit confused though.
        Let’s try again:

You are right Truman was not near the bottom, but Lincoln was. Now they didn’t do rankings in that era as they do today, but reading what people were saying at the time, tells us a lot. Lincoln actually had a lot of negative press, with very negative stuff written about him during his time, in office. It wasn’t until his assassination, that view begin to change. Don’t believe me, read this:

https://www.battlefields.org/learn/a...lar-mr-lincoln
        Interesting. There was a change when the tide of the civil war changed in his favour, and another when he was assassinated.
        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
        MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
          No worries. I was a bit confused though.Interesting. There was a change when the tide of the civil war changed in his favour, and another when he was assassinated.
          I think they made a valid point in pointing out he was an relatively unknown figure in 1860, so people sort of used him as a punching bag for all the ills of the country. His assassination cemented him as a legendary figure, which I suspect is why his popularity is what it is today. It’s difficult to judge pre mass media presidents due to a lot of modern judging methods we take for granted today didn’t exist, but I do think there’s a strong case that Lincoln is among the most unpopular presidents, during his time in office.
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I think they made a valid point in pointing out he was an relatively unknown figure in 1860, so people sort of used him as a punching bag for all the ills of the country. His assassination cemented him as a legendary figure, which I suspect is why his popularity is what it is today. It’s difficult to judge pre mass media presidents due to a lot of modern judging methods we take for granted today didn’t exist, but I do think there’s a strong case that Lincoln is among the most unpopular presidents, during his time in office.
            Could be.

I'm not saying that Lincoln was, but it is possible to be both unpopular and effective.
            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
            MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Could be.

I'm not saying that Lincoln was, but it is possible to be both unpopular and effective.
              Regardless, there is no analogy to be made between Lincoln and Trump and therefore no reason to expect that the contemporary opinion of him will be reversed with time. For one, Lincoln's nickname was ... 'Honest Abe' - Lincoln was a man of integrity.

Jim
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
                Proposing surveillance of Muslim communities and proposing to ban Muslim travel are, quite obviously, far greater violations of religious liberty than proposing to subject public accomodations to anti-discrimination law.

It's not even close.

--Sam
                Sweety, I know you’re in ‘I must defend democrats, at all cost’ mode, but forcing people to do what you want or else isn’t how a free society works and isn’t how you make people accept you. People should have the right to choose who they want to work for and not work for. Shoving it down their throats is how you ended up with Trump in 2016 and threatening to make it worse and using the government to shove it further down their throats is how you end up with another 4 years of Trump. Keep it up Sam, I’d love to watch Democrats lose the White House and their 2018 gains.
                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                  Regardless, there is no analogy to be made between Lincoln and Trump and therefore no reason to expect that the contemporary opinion of him will be reversed with time. For one, Lincoln's nickname was ... 'Honest Abe' - Lincoln was a man of integrity.

Jim
                  Lincoln arrested thousands, without trial, and held them in prison, for years. Is this really the road you want to go down Jim? I just said Lincoln became a legend and the bad things, like him arresting those critical of him, without trial, and having them rot in prison, for years, was among those things swept under the rug. Nobody is perfect Jim, not even honest Abe.
                  Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 10-17-2019, 08:34 AM.
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Could be.

It is, which is why I don’t put too much stock in the popularity of a president.
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Could be.

You people have to keep reminding me of my third grade teacher.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        You people have to keep reminding me of my third grade teacher.
                        What can I say, I did consider majoring in history before I went with engineering instead.
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Lincoln arrested thousands, without trial, and held them in prison, for years. Is this really the road you want to go down Jim? I just said Lincoln became a legend and the bad things, like him arresting those critical of him, without trial, and having them rot in prison, for years, was among those things swept under the rug. Nobody is perfect Jim, not even honest Abe.
                          Yes pix, it is a road I want to go down. Because you have no problem identifying wrong doing in any person other than Trump. But if it was Trump doing the arresting, you'd be telling me why my TDS was keeping me from understanding it was really all the MSM's fault and parading Lincoln as an example of why Trump doing it wasn't such a bad thing.

So while you like to project onto me your own issues and pretend it is some kind of specific hatred of Trump that I act from, the truth is I act from principle and it would not matter who it was being, acting, and doing the things Trump is doing, it would not matter who it was that had duped half the Christians in this country, I'd be just as concerned, and just as vocal about that person, whoever they might be.

Jim
                          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                            Yes pix, it is a road I want to go down. Because you have no problem identifying wrong doing in any person other than Trump. But if it was Trump doing the arresting, you'd be telling me why my TDS was keeping me from understanding it was really all the MSM's fault and parading Lincoln as an example of why Trump doing it wasn't such a bad thing.

So while you like to project onto me your own issues and pretend it is some kind of specific hatred of Trump that I act from, the truth is I act from principle and it would not matter who it was being, acting, and doing the things Trump is doing, it would not matter who it was that had duped half the Christians in this country, I'd be just as concerned, and just as vocal about that person, whoever they might be.
                            I’ve identified several wrongdoings of Trump, but you’re so in rage mode that you can’t see it. Have I made excuses for Trump’s adultery? No. Did I say he sticks both feet in his mouth a lot? Yes. However, since I’m not locked into 24/7 rage hypocrite mode, like you, I’m excusing it away. Max is dead right about you Jim, you’re incapable of judging the guy with a non bias outlook. When everything is the barbarians at the gates, people stop listening. What I paraded out is facts Lincoln truly was hated while in office, that’s a fact. Just because you hate him, doesn’t mean others are obligated to and future generations from now will.
                            Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 10-17-2019, 09:14 AM.
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I’ve identified several wrongdoings of Trump, but you’re so in rage mode that you can’t see it. Have I made excuses for Trump’s adultery? No. Did I say he sticks both feet in his mouth a lot? Yes. However, since I’m not locked into 24/7 rage hypocrite mode, like you, I’m excusing it away. Max is dead right about you Jim, you’re incapable of judging the guy with a non bias outlook. When everything is the barbarians at the gates, people stop listening.
                              Pix, I frequently disagree with Ox, and I push back when he's in his "everybody attacks me" mode, but you can't honestly claim he's in "rage mode". Perhaps we can all dial the hostility down a tad? I'm actually trying that with JimL, with mixed results.
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                Pix, I frequently disagree with Ox, and I push back when he's in his "everybody attacks me" mode, but you can't honestly claim he's in "rage mode". Perhaps we can all dial the hostility down a tad? I'm actually trying that with JimL, with mixed results.
                                Than he should stop with the false accusations.
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment