Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Elizabeth Warren's Pregnant Pause

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sam View Post
    The story didn't change:

In 2007, she recounted that she took graduate courses shortly before her child's birth and stayed at home for a couple years afterward.

In 2019, she recounts that she was forcibly resigned from her job earlier in the year, consistent with NJ law at the time.

You're talking about an omission in 2007 that wasn't germane or crucial to the discussion she was having.

Y'all are just reaching very far out on a limb to accuse Warren of lying and I'd go as far as to say that's a sin.

--Sam
    Yes, it did. Reading comprehension is becoming a thing, huh?
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
      Yes, it is far more likely. But that's not the same definitely happening then.
      I was perfectly good with the Indian thing being an honest mistake - but just how many bites of the apple should she get before we quit giving the benefit of the very little doubt?
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
        I was perfectly good with the Indian thing being an honest mistake - but just how many bites of the apple should she get before we quit giving the benefit of the very little doubt?
        As many as anyone else. (Including Trump)
        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
        MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

As many as anyone else. (Including Trump)
          That would been 'none' if we follow the Democrats on Trump.

This defies credulity in my opinion. It's not a crime (well, it could be, but that requires conditions not even in view in this case - I'm mostly mentioning it because Sam...) and I wouldn't call for censure (we'd have to censure the entire Congress) but I'm not seeing the point of calling it a mere mistake, either.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

That would been 'none' if we follow the Democrats on Trump.

This defies credulity in my opinion. It's not a crime (well, it could be, but that requires conditions not even in view in this case - I'm mostly mentioning it because Sam...) and I wouldn't call for censure (we'd have to censure the entire Congress) but I'm not seeing the point of calling it a mere mistake, either.
            If we follow the Democrats on this then we should already be talking about impeachment on the off chance she wins.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Yes, it did. Reading comprehension is becoming a thing, huh?

You can deal with the substance or resort to schoolyard taunts; I'd encourage the former but understand the psychological draw of the latter.

--Sam
              "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

And
                So Warren didn't say she resigned willingly, that was an addition by you. She might have been made to resign before she had decided whether or not to continue in that career. She may have wished to continue working (either further into her pregnancy or returning after the birth) while she decided what to do next, but was unable to do so because she was made to resign. In fact the text beyond your snippet indicates that she hadn't decided what she might want to do instead: [I]"I was pregnant with my first baby, so I had a baby and stayed home for a couple of years, and I was really casting about, thinking, 'What am I going to do?'" Except you haven't quoted anything by Warren that says she resigned willingly. That's a far more obvious discrepancy than the ones for which you are calling Warren a liar.
                "I don't think this is going to work out for me" indicates that it was her own decision, so yes, willingly.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                  You can get off your high horse and quit pretending you have proven points you haven't.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    And
                    "I don't think this is going to work out for me" indicates that it was her own decision, so yes, willingly.
                    not necessarily. The not working out part could be that she didn't want to be forced to resign every time she got pregnant. You are being ridiculous. There is nothing here except your hatred for the women.

Jim
                    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                      not necessarily. The not working out part could be that she didn't want to be forced to resign every time she got pregnant. You are being ridiculous. There is nothing here except your hatred for the women.

Jim

The timeline would indicate that Warren was "resigned" in June, took grad classes after that and then, supposedly based on those classes, decided that the education specialty wasn't her desired career path.

--Sam
                      "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                        How about you give Warren 1/1000th as many bites of the apple as you give Trump.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                          How about you give Warren 1/1000th as many bites of the apple as you give Trump.
                          Can you show, in all of this time, where you ever gave Trump even one nibble?

No, I'm not saying we shouldn't extend a benefit of the doubt because you never gave Trump one, but rather that you are hardly the one to bring that up.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                            There is nothing here except your hatred for the women.
                            What makes you think I hate women?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              What makes you think I hate women?
                              I think he meant "woman", as in Warren.
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
                                The timeline would indicate that Warren was "resigned" in June, took grad classes after that and then, supposedly based on those classes, decided that the education specialty wasn't her desired career path.

--Sam
                                The timeline would also indicate that she took classes to fulfill her certification obligations and then chose to resign when she realized that teaching just wasn't working for her.

And since that's consistent with the version of the story she originally told when she had no compelling reason to add embellishments then that's the version that is most likely true.

So...

Comment