Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Elizabeth Warren's Pregnant Pause

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Maybe she was only 1/1024th pregnant.

(yeah, I know - don't encourage him)
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Maybe she was only 1/1024th pregnant.
      Sam will be along in a minute to tell you pregnancy tests have titers...
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
        Sam will be along in a minute to tell you pregnancy tests have titers...
        Titers?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
          That would be an incredible reach for an accusation of lying.

But Warren didn't say she left, regardless:

I did that for a year, and then that summer I didn’t have the education courses, so I was on an ’emergency certificate,’ it was called. I went back to graduate school and took a couple of courses in education and said, ‘I don’t think this is going to work out for me.’

There's just the omission. At best, you're looking for Warren to not have taken some graduate courses between June-Sept 1971.

And that seems pretty dang petty, all things considered.

--Sam
          So in 2007, she says she resigned because she wasn't certified and couldn't be bothered to finish the necessary classes because teaching just wasn't her thing.

In 2019, she says she loved teaching but was essentially fired because she was pregnant.

Both stories can't be true.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

So in 2007, she says she resigned because she wasn't certified and couldn't be bothered to finish the necessary classes because teaching just wasn't her thing.

In 2019, she says she loved teaching but was essentially fired because she was pregnant.

Both stories can't be true.
            Both recollections can easily be true if one is in reference to a career path and the other in reference to a specific job. Warren never said that she resigned because she wasn't certified. In fact, she says that she had an "emergency certificate"; a temporary credential for teachers pursuing a specialization.

--Sam
            Last edited by Sam; 10-08-2019, 04:55 PM.
            "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Titers?
              blood concentration measurements
              "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Ya learn something new every day!

Comment

Both recollections can easily be true if one is in reference to a career path and the other in reference to a specific job. Warren never said that she resigned because she wasn't certified. In fact, she says that she had an "emergency certificate"; a temporary credential for teachers pursuing a specialization.

--Sam
                  Everything I can find says that an "emergency certificate" is used to address teacher shortages by hiring people who are not certified with the expectation that they will seek certification at a later date. My assumption, then, is that Warren got a teaching job without much effort because teachers were in demand, but then when it came time to get certified said, "Nah, teaching isn't for me."

Of course "I got fired because I was pregnant" plays much better as a campaign line.

Comment

Everything I can find says that an "emergency certificate" is used to address teacher shortages by hiring people who are not certified with the expectation that they will seek certification at a later date. My assumption, then, is that Warren got a teaching job without much effort because teachers were in demand, but then when it came time to get certified said, "Nah, teaching isn't for me."

Of course "I got fired because I was pregnant" plays much better as a campaign line.

Gone from "Warren lied and her statements demonstrate that lie clearly" to "My supposition about Warren's motivation to become certified informs me that she lied about being forcibly resigned from a job" awful quick, there.

--Sam

Comment

Gone from "Warren lied and her statements demonstrate that lie clearly" to "My supposition about Warren's motivation to become certified informs me that she lied about being forcibly resigned from a job" awful quick, there.
                      Um... no. My assumption are based on Warren's own statements. She quite clearly lied because her story from 2007 is irreconcilable with her story in 2019. The only question is whether she was lying then, or lying now, and since she has more reason to lie now, that's where I'm putting my money.

Comment

Titers?
                        Sorry - it's a division of reactivity (would not be surprised if older pregnancy tests did this). Puts a numeric value to the test result. Nontreponemal syphilis tests have them - useful for determining treatment efficacy.

FYI: 1:1024 is the highest titer I ever had on a test - it's still a dilution but they were still seeing reactivity even that diluted, which is why we considered it 'high'.
                        But that patient didn't have syphilis - and we generally started to wonder when they hit 1:512. My supervisor saw a 1:2048 once - like my patient, that person had cancer, not syphilis.
                        Last edited by Teallaura; 10-08-2019, 06:31 PM.
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

When I was growing up, Pocahontos was a figure to be admired, so, yeah, I repent of my acceptance of a comparison of Warren to Pocahontos, however badly I spell her name.
                          While we likely disagree in our assessments of the senator, we're in full agreement on Pocahontas. Listening to folks use her name as an insult grates on me.

Thank you kindly, sir.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                            Sorry - it's a division of reactivity (would not be surprised if older pregnancy tests did this). Puts a numeric value to the test result. Nontreponemal syphilis tests have them - useful for determining treatment efficacy.

FYI: 1:1024 is the highest titer I ever had on a test - it's still a dilution but they were still seeing reactivity even that diluted, which is why we considered it 'high'.
                            But that patient didn't have syphilis - and we generally started to wonder when they hit 1:512. My supervisor saw a 1:2048 once - like my patient, that person had cancer, not syphilis.

Yeah, I'm just really surprised I've never come across that term before, because of

A) my extensive work with our pregnancy center
                            2) my formal training in breathomotology (I think I made that up) but I'm a (newly recertified) breathalyzer operator
                            C) frequent conversations with my hospice daughter nurse

How could I get to be 66 years old, have all that training and experience, and never have come across "titer".

(Maybe I always subconsciously translated it "tither"? )

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
                              While we likely disagree in our assessments of the senator, we're in full agreement on Pocahontas. Listening to folks use her name as an insult grates on me.

Thank you kindly, sir.
                              You inspired me ... I mean whoever did it .... to change the thread title!

Comment

My mother doesn't like the term "Pocahontas" either so she refers to her as "Pokey."

Comment