Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Elizabeth Warren's Pregnant Pause

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Sam View Post
    I believe you've spent a number of posts now chastising Jim for misconstruing you -- you'll not find a single post of mine where I've attributed the attitude of people here defending or disregarding these anti-immigration (anti-legal immigration, to clarify for Rogue's benefit) as hate-filled. In my personal opinion, the underlying motive is more often fear....
    I really don't think it's fear in many cases, Sam, but a sense of "we are a nation of laws". About a third of our mission clients are Hispanic, and I often hear "we got here the legal way, why should anybody cut in line".

And, yeah, I realize the whole asylum seeking thing is messed up, but a whole 'nuther part of that is the fact that our local liberal Churches have actually hired legals to advise illegal aliens what to say to make a case for "I'm afraid I'll get killed if I get sent back to my country".

I think neither party wants to actually accomplish comprehensive immigration policy, because they both want it as a political football.

Leave a comment:

• Sam
    replied
    Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    Yeah you have Sam. You casted you’re opponents as evil, hate filled people, that hate immigrants and you as the pure hearted True ChristianTM, that is just too good for us. I’m not stupid Sam and see the set up, there’s a range of positions in there. You were being nasty.
    I believe you've spent a number of posts now chastising Jim for misconstruing you -- you'll not find a single post of mine where I've attributed the attitude of people here defending or disregarding these anti-immigration (anti-legal immigration, to clarify for Rogue's benefit) as hate-filled. In my personal opinion, the underlying motive is more often fear.

But that's all inconsequential. The fact remains that these policies are cruel, unnecessary for American prosperity or security, and deeply antithetical to the Gospel. Your efforts here have been to obscure that by throwing chaff, and pretending to litigate issues you have no real interest in considering.

And that falls below the standard, regardless of who else does or does not meet it.

--Sam

Leave a comment:

• lilpixieofterror
    replied
    I haven't treated anyone like trash, of course. But you and a few others have consistently reverted to jabbing and insulting others routinely over the years; if anyone is going to legitimately complain about my posting, I'm afraid you've disqualified yourself from that privilege.

But my point is proven, regardless: I've now explained, at length, why your contention about polls is both wrong on the merits (the polls weren't "wrong", in the sense that they were close to the final percentage) and wrong in concept (polls don't "predict" anything, much less things they are not directly about [popular vote vs. EC]). Despite this, and with absolutely no substantive counter-arguments, you have simply failed to absorb any information and are just restating your original position.

Trying to move onto explaining a more complicated topic would not be a good use of time or energy.

--Sam
    Yeah you have Sam. You casted you’re opponents as evil, hate filled people, that hate immigrants and you as the pure hearted True ChristianTM, that is just too good for us. I’m not stupid Sam and see the set up, there’s a range of positions in there. You were being nasty.

Leave a comment:

• oxmixmudd
    replied
    How can that be true if the argument that I made was Trump is bad, but Clinton is worse? Wouldn’t that be a blunt acknowledgement that Trump had faults and flaws and pretty big ones at that? Thus I’m dead right about you, you’re incapable of having an honest conversation about Trump because you can’t even be bothered to understand your opponents and accuse them of falsehoods and you lie to yourself and convince yourself that your falsehoods, are truth. You are acting just like JM or Jorge and too blinded by anger to see it. Truly sad because you’re obviously smart enough to make a decent case against Trump. It’s too bad you’ve cast him as your supervillain and anyone disagreeing with you as mindless henchmen.
    I think that we probably are not going to agree here.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Sam
    replied
    * treats his opponents like trash, is shocked when the favor is returned*

What’s the problem Sam, don’t like the taste of the nastiness you’ve been subjecting others to? The problem with the polls is obvious, they were almost all wrong about their predictions.
    I haven't treated anyone like trash, of course. But you and a few others have consistently reverted to jabbing and insulting others routinely over the years; if anyone is going to legitimately complain about my posting, I'm afraid you've disqualified yourself from that privilege.

But my point is proven, regardless: I've now explained, at length, why your contention about polls is both wrong on the merits (the polls weren't "wrong", in the sense that they were close to the final percentage) and wrong in concept (polls don't "predict" anything, much less things they are not directly about [popular vote vs. EC]). Despite this, and with absolutely no substantive counter-arguments, you have simply failed to absorb any information and are just restating your original position.

Trying to move onto explaining a more complicated topic would not be a good use of time or energy.

--Sam

Leave a comment:

• lilpixieofterror
    replied
    Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    So you mean this post

Honestly, I think that was pretty much an on the mark description of where you were hailing from in that specific exchange. It wasn't meant to be literal however, just descriptive of the irrational approach you and others take when excusing Trumps actions. If trump is doing it, it is ok. If someone else did it, especially a Democrat, then it would be bad.

As general rule, it hits it right on the head.

Jim
    How can that be true if the argument that I made was Trump is bad, but Clinton is worse? Wouldn’t that be a blunt acknowledgement that Trump had faults and flaws and pretty big ones at that? Thus I’m dead right about you, you’re incapable of having an honest conversation about Trump because you can’t even be bothered to understand your opponents and accuse them of falsehoods and you lie to yourself and convince yourself that your falsehoods, are truth. You are acting just like JM or Jorge and too blinded by anger to see it. Truly sad because you’re obviously smart enough to make a decent case against Trump. It’s too bad you’ve cast him as your supervillain and anyone disagreeing with you as mindless henchmen.

Leave a comment:

• oxmixmudd
    replied
    That you’re not properly representing your opponents? Yes.
    So you mean this post

Originally posted by oxmixmudd
    Yes pix, it is a road I want to go down. Because you have no problem identifying wrong doing in any person other than Trump. But if it was Trump doing the arresting, you'd be telling me why my TDS was keeping me from understanding it was really all the MSM's fault and parading Lincoln as an example of why Trump doing it wasn't such a bad thing.

So while you like to project onto me your own issues and pretend it is some kind of specific hatred of Trump that I act from, the truth is I act from principle and it would not matter who it was being, acting, and doing the things Trump is doing, it would not matter who it was that had duped half the Christians in this country, I'd be just as concerned, and just as vocal about that person, whoever they might be.
    Honestly, I think that was pretty much an on the mark description of where you were hailing from in that specific exchange. It wasn't meant to be literal however, just descriptive of the irrational approach you and others take when excusing Trumps actions. If trump is doing it, it is ok. If someone else did it, especially a Democrat, then it would be bad.

As general rule, it hits it right on the head.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• lilpixieofterror
    replied
    I see. That is what this is all about?
    That you’re not properly representing your opponents? Yes.

Leave a comment:

• oxmixmudd
    replied
    Post 492 where you said:

“Because you have no problem identifying wrong doing in any person other than Trump.”

Problem? That statement is false.
    I see. That is what this is all about?

Leave a comment:

• lilpixieofterror
    replied
    pixie, I have no way to know what you are talking about. I don't remember anything that fits your description, but what that probably means is that your description is your interpretation of something I said that I did not interpret as meaning what you have taken it to mean.

And I'm not about to try to guess.

Feel free to point it out and I will attempt to see what it is you see, otherwise you can consider this line of discussion closed.

Jim
    Post 492 where you said:

“Because you have no problem identifying wrong doing in any person other than Trump.”

Problem? That statement is false.

Leave a comment:

• lilpixieofterror
    replied
    It would be a valid question from someone interested in an answer. You are not, unfortunately, and I don't believe I'm obligated to pretend otherwise. You don't respond to the substance of an answer when provided one; your tendency is to either repeat what you had first said anyway or jump onto another question, another line of attack. We just went through a whole discussion about how polls weren't "wrong" about "predicting" a Clinton win without you managing to acknowledge baseline facts of even that rudimentary topic.

You are not, in other words, participating in good faith discussions here. I have given you all that you're owed.

--Sam
    * treats his opponents like trash, is shocked when the favor is returned*

What’s the problem Sam, don’t like the taste of the nastiness you’ve been subjecting others to? The problem with the polls is obvious, they were almost all wrong about their predictions.
    Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 10-18-2019, 03:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    I am from the land of sunshine so...
    I live outside of what is in effect of forest city.

It's been a decade or so since the last flight so things could have changed but it was always something to be flying into Atlanta and see what looked like a city rising up out of the middle of the wood. The last house I owned was on a quarter acre lot in an upscale subdivision and it had well over 100 large trees on the property. Any other time and I could give you a pretty accurate number but it seems like it was over 120 maybe 140.

Leave a comment:

• oxmixmudd
    replied
    Jim, this happened this week. Is your memory really that bad that you don’t remember accusing me of finding fault with everyone, but Trump? And we dyslexics think a lot different than the average person does.
    pixie, I have no way to know what you are talking about. I don't remember anything that fits your description, but what that probably means is that your description is your interpretation of something I said that I did not interpret as meaning what you have taken it to mean.

And I'm not about to try to guess.

Feel free to point it out and I will attempt to see what it is you see, otherwise you can consider this line of discussion closed.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Sam
    replied
    And again:

Asking your plan for separating out human traffickers, coyotees, drug runners, gang members, etc from those escaping violence in their homelands is a valid question to ask. Are you going to answer it or are you going to make more long winded speeches, where you throw shade down on your fellow Christians and act all holy and better than everyone else who wants an answer?
    It would be a valid question from someone interested in an answer. You are not, unfortunately, and I don't believe I'm obligated to pretend otherwise. You don't respond to the substance of an answer when provided one; your tendency is to either repeat what you had first said anyway or jump onto another question, another line of attack. We just went through a whole discussion about how polls weren't "wrong" about "predicting" a Clinton win without you managing to acknowledge baseline facts of even that rudimentary topic.

You are not, in other words, participating in good faith discussions here. I have given you all that you're owed.

--Sam

Leave a comment:

• lilpixieofterror
    replied
    I can't deny or acknowledge what I have no direct knowledge of pix. I don't know how your brain works. It is a mystery to me on the very best of days. If you want to do anything other than waste time, you'll have to define what it is I said that you interpreted in that context. Then I can respond to your accusation as to whether I agree or disagree with it.
    Jim, this happened this week. Is your memory really that bad that you don’t remember accusing me of finding fault with everyone, but Trump? And we dyslexics think a lot different than the average person does.

Leave a comment: