Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Elizabeth Warren's Pregnant Pause

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    Didn't you ever go to school? The contract is extended just before summer - no account of teaching summer school so how does this work?
    Not sure what you're trying to argue there. Warren was approved to teach Sept. courses in April 1971, when she was in early pregnancy. In June, now visibly pregnant, she was told that someone else would be teaching in Sept., when she was due.

That's consistent with what she's said in the past and the historical record of "automatic resignation" in New Jersey at the time.

It's amazing how quickly some folks here jumped onto this accusation as credible, considering <waves at everything happening>.

--Sam
    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Being fair, yes, Warren absolutely could have been visibly pregnant in May/Early June since she delivered September 2.

It's a little odd - but not significantly so since mileage varies - that she wasn't showing in April.

Being skeptical, how small was this town? Back then school ended pretty early in May.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
        It's amazing how quickly some folks here jumped onto this accusation as credible...
        Couldn't possibly have anything to do with other stories Warren has told that kinda blew up in her face.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Not sure what you're trying to argue there. Warren was approved to teach Sept. courses in April 1971, when she was in early pregnancy. In June, now visibly pregnant, she was told that someone else would be teaching in Sept., when she was due.

That's consistent with what she's said in the past and the historical record of "automatic resignation" in New Jersey at the time.

It's amazing how quickly some folks here jumped onto this accusation as credible, considering <waves at everything happening>.

--Sam
          How the bleepity-bleep did the principal KNOW if she wasn't visible in mid April?

You never got a summer vacation?
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Couldn't possibly have anything to do with other stories Warren has told that kinda blew up in her face.
            I disagree with the premise but if that's the standard ....
            "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

How the bleepity-bleep did the principal KNOW if she wasn't visible in mid April?

It was a small town - they hung out together at football games.

(um.... yeah, they played football in the summer!)
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I disagree with the premise but if that's the standard ....
                ...she's fitting in more and more?

Comment

Most of the teachers I know are still doing administrative work in and around the school/campus through June. A number are good friends with administrative staff.

At this point, it's searching for a reason to believe that Warren was lying, not identifying anything she claimed as a lie.

--Sam

Comment

Report, nothing - the county records show she was extended a second year's contract ...
                    In April, when she claims she wasn't visibly pregnant ...

... and later ...
                    ... in June, by which time she says she was visibly pregnant — with state records posted by Sam showing after her 5th month, she'd be automatically resigned ...

... her resignation was accepted "with regret".
                    Which looks like boilerplate acknowledgement of the state policy, with a little elementary politeness acknowledging she wasn't being released for cause.

... Pocahontas ...
                    That is not okay, Laura.

"Lyin' Liz" Warren
                    And neither is that.

- when you though the Democrat field couldn't get worse!
                    I'm thinking the papers are filled right now with examples showing what a lot worse looks like, not that I'd ask anyone to take up the challenge of matching it.

The difference being, not a whole bunch of folks are laughing.

I'm not seeing any inconsistency here.

By all accounts, she was offered a second year contract, and then forced to resign with the board offering their regrets. The record further shows she's right when she says this was the common experience for women at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      It was a small town - they hung out together at football games.

(um.... yeah, they played football in the summer!)
                      That must have been in NJ - they'd die in Texas.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Most of the teachers I know are still doing administrative work in and around the school/campus through June. A number are good friends with administrative staff.

At this point, it's searching for a reason to believe that Warren was lying, not identifying anything she claimed as a lie.

--Sam
                        As usual, you're wrong.

CP actually cleared up the point - you didn't. Back in 1971 teachers would be gone from a week after school ended to a couple weeks before it began - and a new teacher like Warren wouldn't have much, if any, administrative work to clear.

But, she still lied - you think she lied in 2007 - I'm more skeptical of 2019 - but either way, she lied.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

As usual, you're wrong.

CP actually cleared up the point - you didn't. Back in 1971 teachers would be gone from a week after school ended to a couple weeks before it began - and a new teacher like Warren wouldn't have much, if any, administrative work to clear.

But, she still lied - you think she lied in 2007 - I'm more skeptical of 2019 - but either way, she lied.
                          Omitting "I was forcibly resigned before my second year of teaching before I took a couple grad school courses" is neither a lie nor a crucial detail for the discussion she was having.

--Sam

Comment

Omitting "I was forcibly resigned before my second year of teaching before I took a couple grad school courses" is neither a lie nor a crucial detail for the discussion she was having.

--Sam
                            Saying she left instead of was dismissed, most certainly is a lie.

Heck, in 1990, I'd have understood why - but 2007? Nah, it's just a lie for spin.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Saying she left instead of was dismissed, most certainly is a lie.

Heck, in 1990, I'd have understood why - but 2007? Nah, it's just a lie for spin.
                              That would be an incredible reach for an accusation of lying.

But Warren didn't say she left, regardless:

I did that for a year, and then that summer I didn’t have the education courses, so I was on an ’emergency certificate,’ it was called. I went back to graduate school and took a couple of courses in education and said, ‘I don’t think this is going to work out for me.’

There's just the omission. At best, you're looking for Warren to not have taken some graduate courses between June-Sept 1971.

And that seems pretty dang petty, all things considered.

--Sam

Comment

Being fair, yes, Warren absolutely could have been visibly pregnant in May/Early June since she delivered September 2.

It's a little odd - but not significantly so since mileage varies - that she wasn't showing in April.

Being skeptical, how small was this town? Back then school ended pretty early in May.
                                Maybe she was only 1/1024th pregnant.
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment