Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Elizabeth Warren's Pregnant Pause

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sam View Post
    Until there's a credible reason to believe otherwise, there's no reason to tack "alleged" on there. Something doesn't just become an open question because Free Beacon disregards the historical record of such resignations.

--Sam
    She's given two separate accounts - alleged, it is!

"I went back to graduate school and took a couple of courses in education and said, 'I don't think this is going to work out for me.' I was pregnant with my first baby, so I had a baby and stayed home for a couple of years and I was really casting about, thinking, 'What am I going to do?'" she said.

Most recently, The Washington Free Beacon located county records from the local school board, showing that the board in April 1971 voted to extend Warren a second-year contract similar to the one she held the previous year.
    A few months later in June, the minutes show that her resignation was “accepted with regret

Source

So, something between just over a month to just under three months - but during the summer recess.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

The public has shown that they don't regard frequent lying as a deal breaker... So what does this incident matter?
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        The public has shown that they don't regard frequent lying as a deal breaker... So what does this incident matter?
        It was a slow day - Warren is catching up to Joe in the polls, and it appears she's following in his footsteps with the 'creative editing' of her personal stories. It's like these people don't realize how easy it is for somebody - ANYBODY - to check their current version of a story with a previous version they told themselves.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          There was a lady (recently deceased) who was a member of three different churches where I served, and she told me once after Church "I've heard you tell that story at least a dozen times, and you always tell it the same way".

At least I'm consistent!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I know the president has decided that ethnic smears are okay, but could we just maybe try for a higher standard here?

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              Report, nothing - the county records show she was extended a second year's contract and later her resignation was accepted "with regret".

Pocahontas "Lyin' Liz" Warren - when you though the Democrat field couldn't get worse!

The minutes from the Riverdale Board of Education meeting on April 21, 1971"the county records show she was extended a second year's contract"

The minutes from the Riverdale Board of Education meeting on June 16, 1971 "later her resignation was accepted "with regret""

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
                I know the president has decided that ethnic smears are okay, but could we just maybe try for a higher standard here?
                When I was growing up, Pocahontos was a figure to be admired, so, yeah, I repent of my acceptance of a comparison of Warren to Pocahontos, however badly I spell her name.

Comment

Source

So, something between just over a month to just under three months - but during the summer recess.

[/FONT]

Look at the timeline and you can see the stories aren't in conflict:

1970: Warren graduates w/ bachelors
                  1970: Warren teaches first year
                  1971, April: Warren, not visibly pregnant, gets job renewal
                  1971, June: Warren, now visibly pregnant, is told by principal someone else would be getting the job
                  1971, June: County Board gets "resignation" notice from principal

Warren didn't return to graduate school full-time until 1974 or so. Whether she took "a few classes" or not between June 1971 and 1974 would be the only point in question and that's not particularly germane to anything.

--Sam
                  "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Source

[/FONT]
                    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]40145[/ATTACH]
                    Why she's also known as lie-a-watha

Attached Files

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The minutes from the Riverdale Board of Education meeting on April 21, 1971"the county records show she was extended a second year's contract"

The minutes from the Riverdale Board of Education meeting on June 16, 1971 "later her resignation was accepted "with regret""
                      So just under two months - thanks!
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Warren Claimed She Lost Teaching Job for Being ‘Visibly Pregnant’ — Many Reports Show That Might Not Be True

Both Megan Day of the far-left Jacobin and National Review contributor Jeryl Bier pointed to an interview from 2007 as evidence that Warren’s story may not be true.

They highlighted that Warren participated in a series of interviews in 2007 done at the University of California at Berkley where the senator noted that she didn’t return to her special education job because she wasn’t properly certified.

Warren had been working on an “emergency certificate” because she had not yet completed the full coursework to be a teacher when she was hired. She claimed she didn’t return to the job because she did not want to hassle with the paperwork.
                        “I was married at nineteen and graduated from college after I’d married, and my first year post-graduation I worked in a public school system with the children with disabilities. I did that for a year, and then that summer I didn’t have the education courses, so I was on an ’emergency certificate,’ it was called. I went back to graduate school and took a couple of courses in education and said, ‘I don’t think this is going to work out for me.’ I was pregnant with my first baby, so I had a baby and stayed home for a couple of years, and I was really casting about, thinking, ‘What am I going to do?’ My husband’s view of it was, ‘Stay home. We have children, we’ll have more children, you’ll love this.’ And I was very restless about it.'"

If you only look at what Warren says she said, as Sam seems to accept, there might be little or no conflict.

If you look at what she is actually recorded as having said, there's a problem on the planet.

Comment

Look at the timeline and you can see the stories aren't in conflict:

1970: Warren graduates w/ bachelors
                          1970: Warren teaches first year
                          1971, April: Warren, not visibly pregnant, gets job renewal
                          1971, June: Warren, now visibly pregnant, is told by principal someone else would be getting the job
                          1971, June: County Board gets "resignation" notice from principal

Warren didn't return to graduate school full-time until 1974 or so. Whether she took "a few classes" or not between June 1971 and 1974 would be the only point in question and that's not particularly germane to anything.

--Sam
                          Didn't you ever go to school? The contract is extended just before summer - no account of teaching summer school so how does this work?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            Warren Claimed She Lost Teaching Job for Being ‘Visibly Pregnant’ — Many Reports Show That Might Not Be True

Both Megan Day of the far-left Jacobin and National Review contributor Jeryl Bier pointed to an interview from 2007 as evidence that Warren’s story may not be true.

They highlighted that Warren participated in a series of interviews in 2007 done at the University of California at Berkley where the senator noted that she didn’t return to her special education job because she wasn’t properly certified.

Warren had been working on an “emergency certificate” because she had not yet completed the full coursework to be a teacher when she was hired. She claimed she didn’t return to the job because she did not want to hassle with the paperwork.
                            “I was married at nineteen and graduated from college after I’d married, and my first year post-graduation I worked in a public school system with the children with disabilities. I did that for a year, and then that summer I didn’t have the education courses, so I was on an ’emergency certificate,’ it was called. I went back to graduate school and took a couple of courses in education and said, ‘I don’t think this is going to work out for me.’ I was pregnant with my first baby, so I had a baby and stayed home for a couple of years, and I was really casting about, thinking, ‘What am I going to do?’ My husband’s view of it was, ‘Stay home. We have children, we’ll have more children, you’ll love this.’ And I was very restless about it.'"

If you only look at what Warren says she said, as Sam seems to accept, there might be little or no conflict.

If you look at what she is actually recorded as having said, there's a problem on the planet.

No, that statement does not demonstrate a conflict. It certainly has a lapse but that doesn't demonstrate a contradiction. We know, from records linked here, that Warren was renewed for teaching in Spring 1971. To claim that her remarks above show a contradiction, you'd have to be arguing that her 2007 comments didn't include that historical record.

--Sam
                            "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

You can read the whole quote here, showing just how mendacious that ellipses is:

I did that for a year, and then that summer I didn’t have the education courses, so I was on an ’emergency certificate,’ it was called. I went back to graduate school and took a couple of courses in education and said, ‘I don’t think this is going to work out for me.’

Warren clearly was saying that education as a career wasn't going to "work out" and she went to law school instead.

Come on, man. Try!

--Sam

Comment

No, that statement does not demonstrate a conflict. It certainly has a lapse but that doesn't demonstrate a contradiction. We know, from records linked here, that Warren was renewed for teaching in Spring 1971. To claim that her remarks above show a contradiction, you'd have to be arguing that her 2007 comments didn't include that historical record.

--Sam
                                Let Warren be true and everybody else a liar.

Comment