Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Elizabeth Warren's Pregnant Pause

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Yes, but ox's point is that if you don't hate Trump, it's because you're filled with... hate... or... something... *mumble mumble*
    If you have to distort a person's words to make your point, you don't have a valid point to make.

Please produce words I've said that match the above or apologize for your libel.

Jim
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      If you have to distort a person's words to make your point, you don't have a valid point to make.

Please produce words I've said that match the above or apologize for your libel.

Jim
      Are you really incapable of knowing sarcasm when you see it?
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Gonna save this for when people start accusing Adam Schiff of "fabricating" a Trump quote again.

--Sam
        "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

When was the last time you did not distort my words in a reply? And how was this post any different from any of the others?

Jim
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
            And you offer up more opinion. Fun fact, history is heavily influenced by the personal opinion of the writer.
            I wouldn't say "heavily." You're right in that history is an interpretive discipline, but it doesn't follow that history is like creative writing. Historical interpretations are constrained by actual arguments and arguments are constrained by documentary evidence. So there are clearly better historical interpretations and worse interpretations. There is no omniscient historical point of view, just as there can't be in any of the humanities, but we can be pretty confident that Washington was a 'better' President than Buchanan, Hitler was a bad guy, etc. It's amusing how conservatives can become relativists when it suits their purposes.
            Last edited by Jim B.; 10-13-2019, 03:34 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              A) my undies are not little
              2) what are you doing looking at them in the first place?
              C) they're Duluth Trading Company undies - they can't wad up!

And it's YOUR!!!!!
              You're one one-man hilarity machine. I take it that means you're not inclined to answer?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim B. View Post
                You're one one-man hilarity machine. I take it that means you're not inclined to answer?
                Ask a question, I'll give it a shot.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
                  Gonna save this for when people start accusing Adam Schiff of "fabricating" a Trump quote again.

--Sam
                  Right... except I never presented my comment as a quote from ox, so...

Comment

--Sam
                    Yes, because paraphrasing some anonymous person on an internet forum is the same as actually making up quotes of the potus during a congressional hearing.

Comment

• Because people accusing Schiff of making up quotes when he explicitly made clear (twice!) that he was paraphrasing the President shouldn't go around expecting their sarcastic paraphrases to be taken as such. If you're going to be ridiculous, you're gonna have to accept getting ridiculous treatment.

Source: HPCSI Hearing; Acting DNI Joseph Maguire. 09.26.2019

SCHIFF: It reads like a classic organized crime shakedown. Shorn of its rambling character and in not so many words, this is the essence of what the president communicates. We’ve been very good to your country, very good. No other country has done as much as we have. But you know what? I don’t see much reciprocity here. I hear what you want. I have a favor I want from you though. And I’m going to say this only seven times so you better listen good. I want you to make up dirt on my political opponent, understand. Lots of it. On this and on that. I’m going to put you in touch with people, not just any people, I am going to put you in touch with the attorney general of the United States, my Attorney General Bill Barr. He’s got the whole weight of the American law enforcement behind him. And I’m going to put you in touch with Rudy. You’re going to love him. Trust me. You know what I’m asking. And so I’m only going to say this a few more times. In a few more ways. And by the way, don’t call me again. I’ll call you when you’ve done what I asked.

This is in sum and character what the president was trying to communicate with the president of Ukraine. It would be funny if it wasn’t such a graphic betrayal of the president’s oath of office. But as it does represent a real betrayal, there’s nothing the president says here that is in America’s interest after all.

© Copyright Original Source

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                      Yes, because paraphrasing some anonymous person on an internet forum is the same as actually making up quotes of the potus during a congressional hearing.
                      "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Because people accusing Schiff of making up quotes when he explicitly made clear (twice!) that he was paraphrasing the President shouldn't go around expecting their sarcastic paraphrases to be taken as such. If you're going to be ridiculous, you're gonna have to accept getting ridiculous treatment.

SCHIFF: It reads like a classic organized crime shakedown. Shorn of its rambling character and in not so many words, this is the essence of what the president communicates. We’ve been very good to your country, very good. No other country has done as much as we have. But you know what? I don’t see much reciprocity here. I hear what you want. I have a favor I want from you though. And I’m going to say this only seven times so you better listen good. I want you to make up dirt on my political opponent, understand. Lots of it. On this and on that. I’m going to put you in touch with people, not just any people, I am going to put you in touch with the attorney general of the United States, my Attorney General Bill Barr. He’s got the whole weight of the American law enforcement behind him. And I’m going to put you in touch with Rudy. You’re going to love him. Trust me. You know what I’m asking. And so I’m only going to say this a few more times. In a few more ways. And by the way, don’t call me again. I’ll call you when you’ve done what I asked.

This is in sum and character what the president was trying to communicate with the president of Ukraine. It would be funny if it wasn’t such a graphic betrayal of the president’s oath of office. But as it does represent a real betrayal, there’s nothing the president says here that is in America’s interest after all.

I actually thought you had more of a sensible side to all this, but now I know better. The typical short attention span, low information crowd folk most likely won't know he even made those statements, much less knowing what "this is in essence..." even means. And I'm guessing that was intentional on Schiff's part. It was a congressional hearing about a major accusation against the potus. You're being absurd.

Comment

Because people accusing Schiff of making up quotes when he explicitly made clear (twice!) that he was paraphrasing the President shouldn't go around expecting their sarcastic paraphrases to be taken as such. If you're going to be ridiculous, you're gonna have to accept getting ridiculous treatment.

Yes, paraphrasing by a political enemy in a critically important situation is ALWAYS better than reading an actual copy of what was said.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Because people accusing Schiff of making up quotes when he explicitly made clear (twice!) that he was paraphrasing the President shouldn't go around expecting their sarcastic paraphrases to be taken as such.
                            Right... except I never presented my comment as a paraphrase, so...

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
                              I actually thought you had more of a sensible side to all this, but now I know better. The typical short attention span, low information crowd folk most likely won't know he even made those statements, much less knowing what "this is in essence..." even means. And I'm guessing that was intentional on Schiff's part. It was a congressional hearing about a major accusation against the potus. You're being absurd.
                              I'm not sure "The majority of people are too stupid to understand the word 'essence' so conservatives are excused for lying that it was a fabricated quote" is the best defense in general but for the subset of people who watch Congressional hearings featuring people and positions most people have no clue about?

Nah, man.

--Sam

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                Yes, paraphrasing by a political enemy in a critically important situation is ALWAYS better than reading an actual copy of what was said.

"Adam Schiff shouldn't have paraphrased Trump in an important congressional hearing" is a valid argument. Not a strong one, I'd say, and not one that anyone would really hold fast to over different years and people but it's valid.

But that's not what folks here and elsewhere are arguing; they said that Schiff made up a quote and tried to pass it off as a quote. That's false -- and rather ignorantly or maliciously so. So if they're going to the parody game, in whatever form, they're going to face the same absurd standard.

--Sam

Comment