Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Ellen DeGeneres is Right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ellen DeGeneres is Right

Just saw a video of her talking about 'hanging out' with George Bush, and explaining that you can actually be friends with somebody even if you totally disagree with them.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Just saw a video of her talking about 'hanging out' with George Bush, and explaining that you can actually be friends with somebody even if you totally disagree with them.
    And she is getting a lot of grief from the left...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

In order to win re-election in 2004, George Bush and the RNC worked to include a marriage amendment that banned same-sex marriage on the ballots of battleground states. If Bush had gotten his way, not only would DeGeneres be prohibited from marrying her partner, millions of LGBT+ Americans who see her as a rights leader would be prohibited from marriage.

He also reintroduced torture to American military strategy and knowingly misled the nation into a war that cost hundreds of thousands of Iraqis their lives and continues to destabilize the entire region to this day.

No, I wouldn't be pal'in around with G.W. Bush if I were her.

--Sam
      "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
        In order to win re-election in 2004, George Bush and the RNC worked to include a marriage amendment that banned same-sex marriage on the ballots of battleground states. If Bush had gotten his way, not only would DeGeneres be prohibited from marrying her partner, millions of LGBT+ Americans who see her as a rights leader would be prohibited from marriage.

He also reintroduced torture to American military strategy and knowingly misled the nation into a war that cost hundreds of thousands of Iraqis their lives and continues to destabilize the entire region to this day.

--Sam
        So what you're saying, is that people should only hang out with people they agree with? Interesting.
        Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
          So what you're saying, is that people should only hang out with people they agree with? Interesting.
          That is not what I wrote.

I do believe that the damage someone causes elsewhere should impact decisions of friendship, however. I've dropped friends I discovered were abusive or discriminatory to others, for example. In part because my association with such people harmed others who are themselves victims of abuse or discrimination.

George Bush did enormous damage, domestically and internationally. And he did it intentionally and for political gain. People are responsible for their actions and decisions about association are part of being held accountable.

--Sam
          "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

--Sam
            That doesn't change anything she said. You just prove my point though - there is no living with leftists...
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Sam has the extraordinary gift of seeing darkness where others see a beautiful sunrise.

By the way --- the sunrise at my house this morning...

2019-10-08 07.31.57.jpg

(Sorry about the slightly "off level" - I'm on drugs due to my knee)
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                That doesn't change anything she said. You just prove my point though - there is no living with leftists...

Not if you lie a nation into a war and reintroduce torture, no. I suspect we wouldn't make good neighbors.

Comment

00000000000000ab000-00aad.jpg

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

That is not what I wrote.

I do believe that the damage someone causes elsewhere should impact decisions of friendship, however. I've dropped friends I discovered were abusive or discriminatory to others, for example. In part because my association with such people harmed others who are themselves victims of abuse or discrimination.

George Bush did enormous damage, domestically and internationally. And he did it intentionally and for political gain. People are responsible for their actions and decisions about association are part of being held accountable.

--Sam
                    When the Pharisees saw this, they asked his disciples, "Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?"

Comment

Not if you lie a nation into a war and reintroduce torture, no. I suspect we wouldn't make good neighbors.
                      Leaving out Bush as an extreme example (him being a former president), would or could you be friends with right-wingers in general?
                      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Sam has the extraordinary gift of seeing darkness where others see a beautiful sunrise.

By the way --- the sunrise at my house this morning...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40137[/ATTACH]

(Sorry about the slightly "off level" - I'm on drugs due to my knee)

~200,000 Iraqi civilians won't see that sunrise. People who died at the hands of American torturers won't see it. That should have some weight.

--Sam

Comment

Well I personally wouldn't have a problem with watering boarding a Jihadist if I thought it would save your life or the lives of fellow Marines. And I don't think Bush lied, I believe, they really believed, there were still WMD in Iraq.

Comment

~200,000 Iraqi civilians won't see that sunrise. People who died at the hands of American torturers won't see it. That should have some weight.

--Sam
                            And Ellen NOT sitting with Bush at a ballgame would have prevented that.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                              Well I personally wouldn't have a problem with watering boarding a Jihadist if I thought it would save your life or the lives of fellow Marines. And I don't think Bush lied, I believe, they really believed, there were still WMD in Iraq.
                              As did Bill Clinton and others before it became "Bush lied, people died".

Comment