Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Ellen DeGeneres is Right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Sam, they were at a FOOTBALL GAME, for crying out loud. They were both invited to the game by Charlotte Jones, the daughter of Jerry Jones, owner of the Cowboys.

She didn't "go the ballgame" with him - He was there, and she was there, and they were nice to each other. Somebody get a rope!

I think we all understand that if Franklin Graham was filmed knocking back drinks at a ballgame with the President of Planned Parenthood and responded to the ensuing outrage (because, yah, definitely) with a sermon about being friends with people even though you disagree, the response here and elsewhere would be a lot different.

So the question to ask about that is: why?

--Sam
    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

But, as far as I can tell, they didn't even sit together intentionally - they were separately invited to the same game by Charlotte Johnson to sit in Jerry Johnson's fancy schmancy suite. I don't think either of them went there to "hang out" with the other, but to view a football game at the invitation of the owners.

Not to negate your point, but I think it wouldn't apply in this case.
      I haven't had the chance to read the whole thread. I just noted that the OP talked about "being friends" so I just assumed there was a deeper relationship at play.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        I haven't had the chance to read the whole thread. I just noted that the OP talked about "being friends" so I just assumed there was a deeper relationship at play.
        I think you're right - generally speaking. She claims to be friends with Bush, but I don't think they planned on being at this same ballgame together "to hang out". I could be wrong!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
          I think we all understand that if Franklin Graham was filmed knocking back drinks...
          You had me at Franklin Graham "knocking back drinks".

Sam, Franklin Graham is publicly decidedly anti-abortion, and "The President of Planned Parenthood" would be somebody who didn't just make some decisions that "harmed others" almost two decades ago, but is CURRENTLY involved in the aggressive marketing of abortions.

Sheeeeesh.... where do you come up with these extremist lopsided comparisons?
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You had me at Franklin Graham "knocking back drinks".

Sam, Franklin Graham is publicly decidedly anti-abortion, and "The President of Planned Parenthood" would be somebody who didn't just make some decisions that "harmed others" almost two decades ago, but is CURRENTLY involved in the aggressive marketing of abortions.

Sheeeeesh.... where do you come up with these extremist lopsided comparisons?

Why is the standard of tortured detainees and ~200,000 Iraqi citizens something we put a sunset on?

This is my point, exactly: Bush did real, enormous harm. And there's not accountability for that because it happened "almost two decades ago".

Repentance and accountability don't have a statute of limitations. But I see my comparison was on point: you know just how people would take to Graham pal'in around with Cecile Richards and how little space they'd allow for such friendship without accountability.

--Sam
            "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

But I see my comparison was on point:
              Of course you do. You're right, Sam. You're ALWAYS right!

Comment

You're right, Sam. You're ALWAYS right!
                Nonsense. I remember once he even disagreed with me!

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
                  Nonsense. I remember once he even disagreed with me!
                  Rarely wrong, then.

I can accept that.

Comment

Rarely wrong, then.

I can accept that.
                    To be perfectly fair and honest, I was wrong once, too. On June 21, 1973, a day that will live in infamy, for most of three seconds, I thought I was mistaken.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
                      To be perfectly fair and honest, I was wrong once, too.
                      But were you perfectly fair and honest more than once?

Comment

But were you perfectly fair and honest more than once?
                        On at least one occasion I've spoken perfectly and fairly about my hair.

Comment