Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Southpark banned in China.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southpark banned in China.

A recent episode which criticized the Chinese government has been completely scrubbed. The series in and of itself has been completely scrubbed.

You know I dont always like a lot of media that is put out there. Still I think ultimately that this is wrong. It will only breed resentment.
    sigpic

It's a widespread problem. Way too many companies are willing to accommodate China's censorship.

But I'm kinda jealous - I hate South Park.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

The major story today involving China is the NBA. I don't have time to explain it on my work break but suffice it to say if you have Ted Cruz, Ben Sasse, Julian Castro, Beto O'Rourke, Andrew Yang, and Josh Hawley coming together to call you out, you screwed up.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        The major story today involving China is the NBA. I don't have time to explain it on my work break but suffice it to say if you have Ted Cruz, Ben Sasse, Julian Castro, Beto O'Rourke, Andrew Yang, and Josh Hawley coming together to call you out, you screwed up.
        Who exactly did they call out? Daryl Morey, the general manager of the Houston Rockets or China.

You can see the NBA groveling before China here:

And published in the New York Times editorial section:

Source: The World’s Wokest Sports League Bows to China

The N.B.A. apologizes on behalf of Daryl Morey, a general manager who voiced support for democracy.

The national editor of this newspaper last year asked the commissioner of the N.B.A. at a conference how it felt “to be the wokest professional sports league.” It was a fair description: While Colin Kaepernick has been unable to find a job in the N.F.L. after kneeling during the national anthem to protest police brutality, basketball stars like LeBron James, Derrick Rose and Kobe Bryant have freely expressed their support for the Black Lives Matter movement, even on the court.

It’s a reputation — and a brand — that the league has cultivated. “I didn’t know we were given that designation,” Adam Silver, the N.B.A. commissioner, responded. “But I understand the sentiment and we’re proud of that.” He went on to insist that “political speech” is players’ “absolute right within the league.”

Absolutely, that is, unless the subject of that political speech is the Chinese Communist Party, which presents perhaps the greatest strategic threat to our freedoms of any regime in the world. On that subject, Mr. Silver and the league he runs are shamefully silent.

A stunning instance of N.B.A. acquiescence to Beijing began on Friday evening when Daryl Morey, the general manager of the Houston Rockets, put out a tweet expressing support for Hong Kong’s democracy movement: “Fight for freedom. Stand with Hong Kong.” You might assume that the wokest professional sports league — this is a business, after all, that pulled its all-star game out of Charlotte, N.C., in 2017 because of that state’s anti-transgender bathroom bill — would see human rights, representative democracy and freedom of conscience as core virtues. But you would be wrong.

The Morey tweet, though promptly deleted, went viral in China, where outrage from sponsors and fans was fast and furious. But the swiftness with which the N.B.A. bent its knee to Chinese sensitivities was truly breathtaking for a league that prides itself on a “sense of an obligation, social responsibility, a desire to speak up directly about issues that are important,” as Mr. Silver has boasted. Perhaps the fact as many as 500 million Chinese watched at least one N.B.A. game last season and the N.B.A.’s business operations there are valued at more than $4 billion had something to do with it.

The owner of the Houston Rockets, Tilman Fertitta, didn’t hesitate to throw his general manager under the bus: “Listen … @dmorey does not speak for the @HoustonRockets. Our presence in Tokyo is all about the promotion of the @NBA internationally and we are not a political organization,” he posted late Friday night, a few days before a Rockets preseason game in Japan.

Soon after came Mr. Morey’s walk back: “I did not intend my tweet to cause any offense to Rockets fans and friends of mine in China. I was merely voicing one thought, based on one interpretation, of one complicated event. I have had a lot of opportunity since that tweet to hear and consider other perspectives.”

Among the offended was the Chinese Basketball Association, which immediately suspended its relationship with the Rockets. The association is headed by Yao Ming, a former Rockets player who made the team by far the most popular N.B.A. franchise in China. By Monday, the current Rockets star James Harden offered a full-throated apology on behalf of his boss: “We apologize. You know, we love China. We love playing there.”

The N.B.A.’s official Chinese apology, put out on the social media site Sina Weibo (China’s version of Twitter), was something to behold: “We are extremely disappointed in the inappropriate comment by the general manager of the Houston Rockets,” it said. Mr. Morey “undoubtedly seriously hurt the feelings of Chinese basketball fans.”

All of this comes just as the Los Angeles Lakers and the Brooklyn Nets are headed to China for a two-game exhibition. The Nets are owned by Joe Tsai, a co-founder of Alibaba, who weighed in on the Morey controversy in a long Facebook post that called the tweet “damaging,” the democracy protesters a “separatist movement” and the subject of Hong Kong’s independence a “third-rail issue.”

That an Alibaba chief sees the situation this way — the company’s technology has been used by the Chinese government to surveil its citizens — should not come as a surprise to anyone. The question is how an American league that prides itself on promoting progressive values squares those values with allowing an apologist for authoritarianism to own one of its teams. What’s more, why is a league run by a commissioner who rightly criticized President Trump’s Muslim travel ban for going “against the fundamental values and the fundamental ingredients of what makes for a great N.B.A.” also running a training camp for young players in the Chinese region of Xinjiang, amid camps of a far different kind?

Woke politics often seems to train our collective attention down on our navels rather than out at the world. Is the issue of gender-neutral bathrooms really as morally urgent as a country that is, as Pete Buttigieg sharply put it, “using technology for the perfection of dictatorship?” This is a worldview that encourages companies to take cost-free stands on the progressive cause of the moment and do absolutely nothing to uphold fundamental progressive values when doing so requires more sacrifice than the time it takes to write up a news release. A worldview that fails to force companies like the N.B.A., Apple, Google and Disney to account for the fact that they are serving as handmaidens to totalitarians is not one worth taking seriously.

The longstanding conventional wisdom on China — that engagement and investment by America in China would inevitably lead to the country’s political liberalization — has simply not proven true. This is the chestnut Adam Silver himself insists on, when he speaks about the possibilities of “basketball diplomacy.”

Alas, just the opposite has happened.

China has become more repressive the more it has engaged with the West. Meantime, that economic engagement has led major Western businesses and institutions to keep quiet on a major moral issue of this century. The N.B.A.-China partnership is just one example of so many in which Beijing is calling the shots.

Real political wisdom on this score lies with the creators of “South Park,” who, having offended China with an episode this week, dunked on the N.B.A.’s cravenness.

“Like the N.B.A., we welcome the Chinese censors into our homes and into our hearts,” said Trey Parker and Matt Stone in a statement. “We too love money more than freedom and democracy. Xi doesn’t just look like Winnie the Pooh at all. Tune into our 300th episode this Wednesday at 10! Long live the Great Communist Party of China! May this autumn’s sorghum harvest be bountiful! We good now, China?”

Source

© Copyright Original Source

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
          It's a widespread problem. Way too many companies are willing to accommodate China's censorship.

South Park traded in being funny for being edgy and seeing how far they can go years ago.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I may not always enjoy the show, but I must admit it has done some clever satire.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              South Park traded in being funny for being edgy and seeing how far they can go years ago.
              It certainly is edgy , but satire can serve a good purpose.
              sigpic

Comment

Funny thing is, we basically see the same thing here in the west. It's called leftist intolerant "cancel culture" Fortunately, it isn't (at least not mostly) government enforced yet, but companies and individuals alike still bend the knee to it just the same. (I think it's interesting from a theological point of view how the two cultures are so similar in that regard).

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  How moronic. Criticising Xi is one thing, rousing the ire of nationalists in China is a big deal and seriously dumb if you want their money.
                  Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
                    It certainly is edgy , but satire can serve a good purpose.
                    I don't disagree, but at one time they were also funny, occasionally hilariously so.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      I don't disagree, but at one time they were also funny, occasionally hilariously so.
                      I admit, there was a first season episode that I couldn't stop laughing at - and never, ever want to see again...

Pretty sure you can guess which one, but for the late comers...
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

I admit, there was a first season episode that I couldn't stop laughing at - and never, ever want to see again...

Pretty sure you can guess which one, but for the late comers...
                        Howdy ho

Comment