Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Slaughtering our Kurdish allies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For context, let's recount some of the more important tangled relationships in Syria:

The US is allied with Turkey. Turkey is fighting the PKK. The US considers PKK a terrorist group but will work together with it against their common enemy ISIS. Turkey is also fighting ISIS, but hates the PKK and is upset that the US supports it. The US is also considers Assad a dictator and wants to oust him, and has attacked Assad territory, but Assad is backed by Russia. Also, Assad and Russia are against ISIS, so the US coordinates with Russia against the common enemy ISIS to avoid crossfire and WW3. Meanwhile Assad is also against Turkey, so he is tolerates the PKK. Meanwhile Assad is fighting US-backed rebels, who are also fighting the ISIS because everyone is against ISIS.

----

In short, having a common enemy doesn't make you allies, especially in the Middle East.
    Last edited by demi-conservative; 10-08-2019, 03:15 AM.
    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Moreover, the PKK has been fighting Turkey since the '80s. They're not incompetent and by no means are likely to be 'slaughtered'.
      Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
        Moreover, the PKK has been fighting Turkey since the '80s. They're not incompetent and by no means are likely to be 'slaughtered'.
        I don’t know if you do Latin mottos for your military, but how about ‘Serenum Amicis’?
        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
        “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
          I don’t know if you do Latin mottos for your military, but how about ‘Serenum Amicis’?
          This is Trump looking out for his interests (there is a Trump Tower inTurkey) ahead of the national security interest of the US and our obligations to those who have fought at our request against ISIS.

Kelly resigned over this in its earlier incarnation. It violates military honor, our moral commitments as well.
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
            This is Trump looking out for his interests (there is a Trump Tower inTurkey) ahead of the national security interest of the US and our obligations to those who have fought at our request against ISIS.

Kelly resigned over this in its earlier incarnation. It violates military honor, our moral commitments as well.
            Yeah, this just couldn't be the result of Trump's oft repeated pledge to pull U.S. troops out of the various Middle Eastern conflicts.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Yeah, this just couldn't be the result of Trump's oft repeated pledge to pull U.S. troops out of the various Middle Eastern conflicts.
              I'm sure he's entirely sincere about that, or crazy sincere, or something like that.

And I'm also sure the both the Majority Leader in the Senate and the Minority Leader in the House have already condemned the move, which makes me wonder whether you even realize how far you've fallen off the partisan fringe.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
                Not even the hyperpartisans on TWeb think this was a good idea.
                Okay, I guess I gotta take that back.

Comment

Still self interest rogue.
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

I'm sure he's entirely sincere about that, or crazy sincere, or something like that.

And I'm also sure the both the Majority Leader in the Senate and the Minority Leader in the House have already condemned the move, which makes me wonder whether you even realize how far you've fallen off the partisan fringe.
                    It's the required cost of alignment with Trump. No one can stay aligned with Trump without losing at least part of who they are to who he is.

Comment

Okay, I guess I gotta take that back.
                      Unfortunately.

This today:

Source: cnn

Trump faced a barrage of criticism from within his own party, including McConnell, Sen. Lindsey Graham and former US Ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley about the decision.
                      Trump said on Monday afternoon, "I have great respect for all the people that you named. They have their opinion and a lot of people do and I could also name many more than you just named of people that are totally supportive."
                      McConnell on Monday urged Trump to reverse his move, saying "a precipitous withdrawal of US forces from Syria would only benefit Russia, Iran, and the Assad regime."

© Copyright Original Source

Same old same old. The mysterious 'many more' that are with him. And the usual set he likes to make happy, Russia, dictators and despots.

What is different is that people that have typically supported him no matter what have broken with him. Finally.

Jim

Comment

Personally I think it is a bad idea so you failed miserably at your attempt at mind reading.

I'm merely pointing out that pulling the military out of various Middle Eastern conflicts was a campaign promise of Trump's.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Having the sig I do, I've sort of backed myself into a corner here, eh?
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Personally I think it is a bad idea so you failed miserably at your attempt at mind reading.

I'm merely pointing out that pulling the military out of various Middle Eastern conflicts was a campaign promise of Trump's.
                            Not reading your mind rogue, just your words. If you don't qualify your justification of his actions, then no one can know you have any other opinion. And to assume you have another opinion would, in fact, be attempted mind reading.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                              Not reading your mind rogue, just your words. If you don't qualify your justification of his actions, then no one can know you have any other opinion. And to assume you have another opinion would, in fact, be attempted mind reading.

Jim
                              So naturally y'all leap with both feet to the worst possible interpretation. Got it.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                                Having the sig I do, I've sort of backed myself into a corner here, eh?
                                Not really. War against violent aggressors that want to destroy your civilization, like ISIS, is justified. And we don't just typically kill innocents on purpose, unlike those we are fighting. The issue here is that we've gotten a certain population to do most of our fighting for us on a promise of protection from extermination by the Turks. We are here seen abandoning our promise to them to benefit the personal goals of Donald Trump - which will destroy our capacity to recruit help on a promise in the future. Our word means nothing as a nation under a person like Trump.

I wonder how many ever consider that many campaign promises are not kept because on gaining office and learning more about what it is they are dealing with they realize their promise was a fool's errand. How much better it is to have people leading our country that are willing to swallow their pride for the good of the country than a person willing to sacrifice the best interests of our country for personal gain.

Jim

Comment