Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Slaughtering our Kurdish allies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
    A true christian wouldn't celebrate the execution/murder of a handcuffed Kurdish POW. Demi is an all around fraud (remember the fake accent) disseminating divisive propaganda.
    It isn't easy for an American president to advance the interests of Russia, Syria, Iran, and ISIS - all at the same time - through a single decision. Donald Trump managed to find a way.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Just reading this from the BBC news website; Putin wins again:

This week has seen a full ceremonial 21-gun salute for President Vladimir Putin in the capital, an audience with the king and crown prince, a host of bilateral deals and a seismic strategic recalculation in the region as Saudi Arabia's US allies effectively abandon the Kurds to their fate in northern Syria.

So how close is Saudi Arabia now drawing to Russia and why?

President Putin has made a rare but much-publicised visit to Saudi Arabia - his first in 12 years - accompanied by a sizable delegation of trade, security and defence officials. Bilateral deals worth more than $2bn (£1.6bn) and more than 20 agreements have been announced.

The Saudis have also invited Russia to participate in the ongoing international investigation into the 14 September drone and missile attacks on Saudi oil facilities.

Defence discussions have included the possible purchase and future deployment of Russia's formidable S-400 air defence missile system, which would be something of a diplomatic blow to Washington.
      I remember Trump saying that you would get fed up winning; something about enough winning already?
      Last edited by firstfloor; 10-16-2019, 07:39 AM.
      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
      “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
        It isn't easy for an American president to advance the interests of Russia, Syria, Iran, and ISIS - all at the same time - through a single decision. Donald Trump managed to find a way.
        One really has to wonder what it is that Putin has on Trump, or is Trump simply a traitor by ideology?

Comment

Isn't it though! Making Russia Great Again seems to be Trumps new motto. From enhancing their ability to influence our elections through denial and indifference to our intelligence community, to undermining the NATO alliance, to showing the Ukraine how corruption is really done while holding back funds so Russia can gain ground, to making Russia the key player in the middle east.

Quite a set of accomplishments. Truly unique among american presidents.

Jim
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Read Trump’s Letter to Turkey’s President
            BY THE NEW YORK TIMES
            OCT. 16, 2019

President Trump said on Wednesday that he did not give President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey a green light to move Turkish forces into northern Syria, adding that he'd written a “very powerful letter” of warning in the days after announcing his decision to pull back American troops from the area.
            THE WHITE HOUSE

WASHINGTON

October 9, 2019

His Excellency
            Recep Tayyip Erdogan
            President of the Republic of Turkey
            Ankara

Dear Mr. President:

Let's work out a good deal! You don't want to be responsible for slaughtering thousands of people, and I don't want to be responsible for destroying the Turkish economy — and I will. I've already given you a little sample with respect to Pastor Brunson.

I have worked hard to solve some of your problems. Don't let the world down. You can make a great deal. General Mazloum is willing to negotiate with you, and he is willing to make concessions that they would never have made in the past. I am confidentially enclosing a copy of his letter to me, just received.

History will look upon you favorably if you get this done the right and humane way. It will look upon you forever as the devil if good things don't happen. Don't be a tough guy. Don't be a fool!

I will call you later.

Sincerely,

/s/ Donald Trump

This is showing up on multiple news platforms, was originally acquired by Fox News, and has been confirmed. Meanwhile, the State Department is in meltdown, Giuliani's lawyer has quit, his two companions in the Ukraine imbroglio have been arrested, administration officials ordered to defy the impeachment inquiry are being granted "friendly" subpoenas and testifying anyway, the House has cast an overwhelming bipartisan vote to censure the president ...

At this point, I'm not sure Trump is going to last long enough to face an impeachment trial.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
              One really has to wonder what it is that Putin has on Trump, or is Trump simply a traitor by ideology?
              It's obviously some very bad kompromat, to make Trump so subservient to the enemy. No doubt we will find out one day...when Trump joins his associates in jail.
              “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Trump’s foreign policy - “not our border”

Putin - well said, my boy.
                “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

It's obviously some very bad kompromat, to make Trump so subservient to the enemy. No doubt we will find out one day...when Trump joins his associates in jail.
                  I'm thinking he has in mind to seek asylum in Russia once he sees the jig is up.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                    There are two issues with this, IMO. First, the U.S. is (once again) showing allies that we cannot be trusted, and will turn our backs on them as soon as it is beneficial to us. Second, previous "allies" in the middle east that we subsequently abandoned have had a tendency to become the terrorists that then attack us.

So much for keeping America safe, America First, MAGA! Sometimes, putting "America First" means being a good neighbor, having our allies backs, and being a trusted member of the world community. The world isn't just laughing at us; they are systematically shifting their alliances to other countries.
                    Indeed, we have a long history of cutting allies loose to drift on their own the moment they're either no longer useful or they get in some sort of trouble. Say what you want about the Russians, through thick or thin, if you're allied with them they will have your back. And don't think other countries don't notice.

While I certainly don't want us to spend countless decades in the Middle East trying to get folks who are bound and determined to kill each other to play nice, the fact is that the Kurds did most of the heavy lifting for us in eliminating ISIS, and Trump shouldn't have pulled out leaving them to the tender mercy of the Turks.

And yet, OTOH, FWIU, a large portion of the Kurdish forces belong to a group (or are closely affiliated with them) that the U.S. government has labeled a terrorist organization so it looks like we were only ever going to be temporary allies anyways -- allies of convenience. But even if that's the case we shouldn't just throw them to the wolves when they're no longer as useful if for no other reason that such actions will make it all the harder to form coalitions and alliances in the future. And if ISIS starts to reform who are we going to turn to for help in dealing with them?

It may have been a campaign promise on Trump's part but he certainly handled this in a ham-fisted way.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
                      Read Trump’s Letter to Turkey’s President
                      BY THE NEW YORK TIMES
                      OCT. 16, 2019

President Trump said on Wednesday that he did not give President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey a green light to move Turkish forces into northern Syria, adding that he'd written a “very powerful letter” of warning in the days after announcing his decision to pull back American troops from the area.
                      THE WHITE HOUSE

WASHINGTON

October 9, 2019

His Excellency
                      Recep Tayyip Erdogan
                      President of the Republic of Turkey
                      Ankara

Dear Mr. President:

Let's work out a good deal! You don't want to be responsible for slaughtering thousands of people, and I don't want to be responsible for destroying the Turkish economy — and I will. I've already given you a little sample with respect to Pastor Brunson.

I have worked hard to solve some of your problems. Don't let the world down. You can make a great deal. General Mazloum is willing to negotiate with you, and he is willing to make concessions that they would never have made in the past. I am confidentially enclosing a copy of his letter to me, just received.

History will look upon you favorably if you get this done the right and humane way. It will look upon you forever as the devil if good things don't happen. Don't be a tough guy. Don't be a fool!

I will call you later.

Sincerely,

/s/ Donald Trump

This is showing up on multiple news platforms, was originally acquired by Fox News, and has been confirmed. Meanwhile, the State Department is in meltdown, Giuliani's lawyer has quit, his two companions in the Ukraine imbroglio have been arrested, administration officials ordered to defy the impeachment inquiry are being granted "friendly" subpoenas and testifying anyway, the House has cast an overwhelming bipartisan vote to censure the president ...

At this point, I'm not sure Trump is going to last long enough to face an impeachment trial.
                      Reminiscent of the powerful warnings that Obama gave Syria. You know that laughable non-existent "red line." Neither are even worth the paper the message was written on.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Reminiscent of the powerful warnings that Obama gave Syria. You know that laughable non-existent "red line." Neither are even worth the paper the message was written on.
                        Whataboutism.
                        "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
                          Whataboutism.
                          Typical, mindless knee-jerk hypocritical Nannyism.

I was criticizing both of them. Someone with an IQ higher than a cup of tepid tea would have understood that simply by reading my statement how "Neither are even worth..."

Charles.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
                            Whataboutism.
                            BS - the point is your hypocrisy, none of you said boo when Obama allowed Syria rebels to get gassed or when he removed our troops from Iraq and allowed the rise of ISIS...
                            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                              BS - the point is your hypocrisy, none of you said boo when Obama allowed Syria rebels to get gassed or when he removed our troops from Iraq and allowed the rise of ISIS...
                              That is simply wrong, so you are calling me a hypocrite based on ignorance and seemingly in order to change focus. I did not even post here back then but I certainly made clear in other contexts what I thought about that. Stay on topic and avoid ad hominems would be my advice before you make more false statements.
                              "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                Typical, mindless knee-jerk hypocritical Nannyism.

I was criticizing both of them. Someone with an IQ higher than a cup of tepid tea would have understood that simply by reading my statement how "Neither are even worth..."

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40288[/ATTACH]
                                Whataboutism is not a denial that both did it... It usually takes the form of pointing to others who did the same. So a misunderstanding of the concept and quite many personal attacks seems to be what you provide.

Comment