Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Volkers texts make it clear the investigation was a precondition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volkers texts make it clear the investigation was a precondition

All the spin from the diehard TWEB Trump supporters is moot. Volker's texts make it clear Trump was all about withholding aid, conversations, and visits over the issue of Ukraine investigating issues associated with 2016 and Burisma (biden).

Consider this text on the day of the call:

Volker: Good Lunch, Thanks! Heard from white house, Assuming President Z convinces Trump he will investigate/"get to the bottom of what happened in 2016" we will nail down date for visit to Washington. Good luck, see you Tomorrow, kurt

and BEFORE the call:

Had breakfast with Rudy this morning - teeing up call with Yermak monday. Must have helped. Most important is for Zelensky to say he will help with investigation - and address any personnel issues - if there are any

Note that later (8/10) he calls for a REBOOT of US/UKraine relations and mentions investigation of Burisma specifically

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/03/polit...ker/index.html

Jim
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 10-04-2019, 07:02 AM.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Show the quotes where:

Aid was promised if the Ukraine agreed to investigate.

Also:

Cite the broken laws.

"The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

“I think potus really wants the deliverable”

This + the draft document that Ukrainian diplomats drafted to the specification of Giuliani is, for any reasonable universe, game over. Explicit confirmation that foreign policy (presidential meetings, aid) was being used as leverage for the President's political campaign messaging.

--Sam
      "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
        “I think potus really wants the deliverable”

This + the draft document that Ukrainian diplomats drafted to the specification of Giuliani is, for any reasonable universe, game over. Explicit confirmation that foreign policy (presidential meetings, aid) was being used as leverage for the President's political campaign messaging.

--Sam
        Or you’re reading what you want to hear and believe, that best confirms your biasness.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
          Or you’re reading what you want to hear and believe, that best confirms your biasness.

Bill Taylor: "Are we now saying that security assistance and WH meeting are conditioned on investigations?"

Gordon Sondland: "Call me"

------------

Bill Taylor: "As I said on the phone, I think it's crazy to withhold security assistance for help with a political campaign."
          "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

There is no bias. It is clear that zelenski had to agree to investigations that support Trumps political goals. Mention is made directly of Burisna, and there is great concern about the connection between aid being withheld and the investigations. All things told to us through other channels and which you and MM tried to say were 'tinfoil hat conspiracy theories'

As Sam said, this opportunity for twisted spin in support of Trump in this is over.

Jim
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Bill Taylor: "Are we now saying that security assistance and WH meeting are conditioned on investigations?"

Gordon Sondland: "Call me"

------------

Bill Taylor: "As I said on the phone, I think it's crazy to withhold security assistance for help with a political campaign."

The texts, which were turned over to Congress by Kurt D. Volker, the State Department’s former special envoy for Ukraine, come from a series of early September exchanges. They appear to show a dispute among American diplomats over whether the president was trying to use security aid or a White House meeting with the country’s new leader as leverage to pressure Ukraine to dig up dirt on a leading political rival — a charge at the heart of the impeachment investigation.

One message, written by William B. Taylor Jr., the top American diplomat in Ukraine, suggested that Mr. Trump was holding back the package of military aid to Ukraine as a bargaining chip to influence the country’s president to do his political bidding.

“As I said on the phone, I think it’s crazy to withhold security assistance for help with a political campaign,” Mr. Taylor wrote on Sept. 9 to Mr. Volker and Gordon D. Sondland, the United States ambassador to the European Union.
              https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/03/u...peachment.html

Key term, dispute. They were arguing about if that was going on, but nothing to indicate it came directly from Trump’s lips.

Context, it’s what’s for breakfast.
              Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 10-04-2019, 07:26 AM.
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                There is no bias. It is clear that zelenski had to agree to investigations that support Trumps political goals. Mention is made directly of Burisna, and there is great concern about the connection between aid being withheld and the investigations. All things told to us through other channels and which you and MM tried to say were 'tinfoil hat conspiracy theories'

As Sam said, this opportunity for twisted spin in support of Trump in this is over.

Jim
                No it isn’t, there’s lots of gaps of knowledge in there that you’re filling in to fit your belief system.
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

So Sam,

What was said on the phone call?

Yet again, you’re filling in context you want to hear because it fits your belief system.
                  Bill Taylor made explicitly clear what was said on the phone call.

The "punch back FAST" strategy of crisis management/denial doesn't work well when a senior diplomat is putting what's going down on record.

--Sam

Comment

Bill Taylor made explicitly clear what was said on the phone call.

The "punch back FAST" strategy of crisis management/denial doesn't work well when a senior diplomat is putting what's going down on record.

--Sam
                    I changed my post to an article. Read it, it was a dispute about if it was going on, not direct orders from the president.

AKA, it’s an opinion from a US official, not a fact.
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

In other news, it seems that Volker's closed door testimony was a bust and did nothing to advance the Democrat impeachment scheme. One congressman even described it as a "setback" for Schiff.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...chment-agenda/
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I changed my post to an article. Read it, it was a dispute about if it was going on, not direct orders from the president.

AKA, it’s an opinion from a US official, not a fact.
                        It wasn't a dispute about what was going on. It was Sonderland (who paid $1m to the Trump inaugural fund for his ambassadorship) knowing that you don't put down "we're doing the quid pro quo" on paper. And Taylor, a career diplomat, repeatedly making a record of "we're doing the quid pro quo and I object". I expect that we'll see memoranda from Taylor soon enough, along with direct testimony.

And if one can twist herself into the idea that it's a "difference of opinion", it wouldn't change the fact that there's a substantial and repeated record establishing that a presidential meeting was being held up in exchange for an investigation into how Ukraine oligarchs helped Clinton frame Russia/Trump for the DNC hack, which soon after morphed into two investigations, at Giuliani's direction, into Ukraine 2016 & Biden.

--Sam

Comment

It wasn't a dispute about what was going on. It was Sonderland (who paid $1m to the Trump inaugural fund for his ambassadorship) knowing that you don't put down "we're doing the quid pro quo" on paper. And Taylor, a career diplomat, repeatedly making a record of "we're doing the quid pro quo and I object". I expect that we'll see memoranda from Taylor soon enough, along with direct testimony.

And if one can twist herself into the idea that it's a "difference of opinion", it wouldn't change the fact that there's a substantial and repeated record establishing that a presidential meeting was being held up in exchange for an investigation into how Ukraine oligarchs helped Clinton frame Russia/Trump for the DNC hack, which soon after morphed into two investigations, at Giuliani's direction, into Ukraine 2016 & Biden.

--Sam
                          And again:

Do you have proof this came directly from Trump’s mouth? Do you have proof this wasn’t just a disagreement between two US officials?

Yes or no?

BTW I find it funny that you make such a big deal about a US ambassador given an ambassadorship for donating money when that’s been going on for decades.
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

And again:

Do you have proof this came directly from Trump’s mouth? Do you have proof this wasn’t just a disagreement between two US officials?

Yes or no?

BTW I find it funny that you make such a big deal about a US ambassador given an ambassadorship for donating money when that’s been going on for decades.
                            The point is that Sonderland understands what a quid pro quo entails.

I find it funny that the defense of Trump ("Did you actually HEAR him say it?") is lifted pretty much straight out of Godfather II.

--Sam

Comment

Also...

Several Republican lawmakers said Mr. Volker’s testimony didn’t match the “narrative” coming from the pro-impeachment camp.

“Mr. Volker has been very impressive and has said nothing — nothing — that coincides with what the Democrats are saying,” said Rep. Jim Jordan, Ohio Republican.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...s-impeachment/

Sorry, guys, but this is looking like another swing and miss for your side.
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment