Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump Administration Whistleblower Cover-Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump Administration Whistleblower Cover-Up

Apparently a whistleblower in the intel community was so concerned about a "promise" that Trump made over the phone to a foreign leader that he alerted the Inpector General who turned it over to the Director of National Intelligence who by law is then obligated to turn it over to the House intelligence committee within 7 days and has refused to do so. The director of National Intelligence, Mr. Maguire, at first refused to appear before Congress until the head of the intel committee issued a subpoena and has just agreed to appear before them.

This data transmitted by the whistleblower has to be of urgent concern in order for him to even report it and the Inspector General agreed to its urgency otherwise he doesn't have to do anything with it. The IG's passing it on to the Director of National Intelligence means he agrees that it is of urgent concern.

It seems that the Trump administration, once again ignoring the law, along with the DOJ, is attempting to keep it from the Congressional Intel committee.

http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/09/18/what-hell-going-here-alarm-raised=trumps-intelligence-director-refuses-give

http://www.cnn.com/2019/09/18/politi...tel/index.html
    Last edited by JimL; 09-18-2019, 09:50 PM.

Originally posted by JimL View Post
    Apparently a whistleblower in the intel community was so concerned about a "promise" that Trump made over the phone to a foreign leader that he alerted the Inpector General who turned it over to the Director of National Intelligence who by law is then obligated to turn it over to the House intelligence committee within 7 days and has refused to do so. The director of National Intelligence, Mr. Maguire, at first refused to appear before Congress until the head of the intel committee issued a subpoena and has just agreed to appear before them.

This data transmitted by the whistleblower has to be of urgent concern in order for him to even report it and the Inspector General agreed to its urgency otherwise he doesn't have to do anything with it. The IG's passing it on to the Director of National Intelligence means he agrees that it is of urgent concern.

It seems that the Trump administration, once again ignoring the law, along with the DOJ, is attempting to keep it from the Congressional Intel committee.

http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/09/18/what-hell-going-here-alarm-raised=trumps-intelligence-director-refuses-give

http://www.cnn.com/2019/09/18/politi...tel/index.html
    Indeed.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

The original story from the Washington Post is so vague and full of contradictions and "sources say" anecdotes that it's impossible to say what's really going on. Most likely it's another nothing burger.

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Each time these spectacles amounts to nothing it hurts the cause of the people trying to use them. I don't understand why they never learn
        "Some people feel guilty about their anxieties and regard them as a defect of faith but they are afflictions, not sins. Like all afflictions, they are, if we can so take them, our share in the passion of Christ." - That Guy Everyone Quotes

Comment

Originally posted by hamster View Post
          Each time these spectacles amounts to nothing it hurts the cause of the people trying to use them. I don't understand why they never learn
          Yet here we are, attempting intelligent and objective conversation in a Civics thread started by JimL. I guess we never learn, either.
          ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by hamster View Post
              Like the saying goes, it's not Trump they're after, it's us; Trump just happens to be in their way.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                Like the saying goes, it's not Trump they're after, it's us; Trump just happens to be in their way.
                I will never understand how easily so many of you are able to adopt the position that President Trump is above the law, and that it is good for his people to lie and thumb their noses at subpeanas that are really the only difference between the President being subject to the law and being above the law. As it stands right now, with the help of the Republicans in Congress, supporters like yourselves, his loyalist DOJ appointments, Donald Trump is above the law. And he has shown the way for every president that is to follow exactly how to rebuff the concept of the separation of powers and create an environment where the President cannot be held accountable for his actions.

Each day his power grows. Each day he grows bolder. Each win against accountability - supported by people just like you - is a defeat for our republic and two of the most basic principles of its existence: the separations of powers and the rule of law (no man is above the law - even the President).

Jim
                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                  I will never understand how easily so many of you are able to adopt the position that President Trump is above the law, and that it is good for his people to lie and thumb their noses at subpeanas that are really the only difference between the President being subject to the law and being above the law. As it stands right now, with the help of the Republicans in Congress, supporters like yourselves, his loyalist DOJ appointments, Donald Trump is above the law. And he has shown the way for every president that is to follow exactly how to rebuff the concept of the separation of powers and create an environment where the President cannot be held accountable for his actions.

Each day his power grows. Each day he grows bolder. Each win against accountability - supported by people just like you - is a defeat for our republic and two of the most basic principles of its existence: the separations of powers and the rule of law (no man is above the law - even the President).

Jim
                  1) Broad brush sweeps everyone into a corner, against you.

2) Trump is a symptom, not the cause. America has been in serious trouble, in a variety of ways, for decades.

3) People aren't going to rush to condemn Trump for something that CNN et al report, just because they reported it. Too many 'fake news' events for anyone with much common sense to rush to judgment.

4) Who here has said that Trump is above the law? People not agreeing with you that a particular act Trump is accused of is actually breaking the law IS NOT the same as them saying he is above the law.
                  You persist in this kind of misrepresentation of other's positions; attack their integrity, morality and question their very salvation on the basis of that misrepresentation; and then act surprised when they attack you in response.
                  ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                    You persist in this kind of misrepresentation of other's positions; attack their integrity, morality and question their very salvation on the basis of that misrepresentation; and then act surprised when they attack you in response.
                    yep...
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I question the salvation of anyone who is quick to question people's salvation.
                      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

1) Broad brush sweeps everyone into a corner, against you.
                        Not against me Maxvel, against the two fundamental principles I mentioned. If the people Trump relies on to avoid accountability do not speak against his actions, he is emboldened. Each day he goes that many steps farther, because each day he discovers he can in fact go farther without running into a red line that says "You can't do that Mr. President". Can you imagine if Richard Nixon had just decided he was going to ignore the subpoena for the tapes? Or if the courts had sided with him that he could refuse on the grounds of executive privaledge? In that day, the president was still subject to the law.

2) Trump is a symptom, not the cause. America has been in serious trouble, in a variety of ways, for decades.
                        Well then, if people recognize that - how then can they side with it and send us even farther down that road? It leads to ruin. Who will step up and say 'No further!'

3) People aren't going to rush to condemn Trump for something that CNN et al report, just because they reported it. Too many 'fake news' events for anyone with much common sense to rush to judgment.
                        This is just the latest in a string of refusals to yield to legal subpoenas. The report exists, else the Intelligence department would not be refusing to hand it over, they'd just say 'it doesn't exist'. This is an investigation to determine if Impeachment is warranted. You take away the power to subpoena information, and you couple that with the DOJ policy ad sitting president can't be indited, and the president is then above the law. Because the only capacity to remove a rogue president is impeachment. And impeachment only works if you can establish the president has broken the law. And if the president can silence the witnesses of the people observing the crimes and the documents exposing the crimes through the doctrine of executive privilege, then impeachment is a toothless lion and the President is in fact above the law.

4) Who here has said that Trump is above the law? People not agreeing with you that a particular act Trump is accused of is actually breaking the law IS NOT the same as them saying he is above the law.
                        By supporting him as he hides the evidence the people supporting him agree he is above the law. Without a capacity to gather evidence for the breaking of the law, the president is in fact above the law. Because it cant then be legally established that he broke the law. Therefore he can't be held accountable for breaking the law. It is an end run. We MUST support the efforts to get information that would expose a crime. Otherwise we are allowing our system of checks and balances to fail to control a rogue president.

It he is innocent, that information will show he is innocent and he has nothing to lose. But if he is guilty, we cannot allow him to hide that information. If we do, then we betray fundamental principles that are necessary to keep us a free people.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

Jim
                          Hi pot, how are you doing today?

Your friend,
                          Kettle
                          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                            I question the salvation of anyone who is quick to question people's salvation.
                            The accusation I have ever questioned anyone's claim to Christian faith or their salvation is a lie. MM has done that direclty and to me. You should be directing this post to him.

But I NEVER have.

Jim

Comment

This is absurd. Saying that supporting Trump refusal to submit to the law is dangerous to our country has nothing to do with anyone's salvation or even necessarily their integrity. It has to do with their blindness to the effect of what he is doing and their ability to be seduced by the promises and lies of this President. If you believe that one can not call out a mistake, or an error, without 'questioning a persons salvation' then you are most completely wrong. We are commanded to go to a brother and confront them with their sin of we see a brother in sin. The statement above would equate that with questioning their salvation.

"A fool refuses wise counsel", The Proverbs are filled with sayings that show we must be able to take rebuke or harsh advice. Only fools refuse to be corrected or to be called out on a mistake. Not one of has the internal objectivity to stay on the correct path without external correction.

Jim

Comment