Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump Administration Whistleblower Cover-Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The whistleblower's report has been released to Congress, a day earlier than I predicted, in fact.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
      I mean, the -title- of PPD-19 is "Protecting Whistleblowers with Access to Classified Information" so...

"Executive privilege" isn't a "provision" of the law. The DNI, according to statute "shall" send the report to Congress. Full stop. If the administration wants to exert executive privilege then it has to argue in court that the statute, as written, unlawfully infringes on the separation of powers.

But the law says what it says and it makes no provision for the DNI to overrule the ICIG or refuse to send the report.

--Sam
      If it wasn't clear from Bill's final paragraph, you're arguing with a guy who deals with this sort of thing for a living. If he tells you're wrong on this matter, it's a safe bet that you're actually wrong.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        If it wasn't clear from Bill's final paragraph, you're arguing with a guy who deals with this sort of thing for a living. If he tells you're wrong on this matter, it's a safe bet that you're actually wrong.
        Calling executive privilege a "provision" demonstrates a lack of understanding regarding statutory law so that's that.

As for whether PPD-19 protects whistleblowers utilizing ICWPA ... well, folks can read the thing itself. ICWPA provides the mechanism for a whistleblower to report abuses dealing with potentially classified information, the very definition of "protected disclosures" in PPD-19.

I can read a statute and I can read a presidential directive so if Bill wants to explain how PPD-19 doesn't protect a whistleblower utilizing ICWPA, he's gonna have to actually explain it.

--Sam
        "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
          Fify n/c
          No, I hate treasonous dictators and republican lemmings who would stand by them, you hate liberals, democrats, and like the GOP, you apparently hate democracy as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            Sorry, but that isn't how whistleblower protection laws work. Since the whistleblower worked for the intelligence community, they are only legally protected when blowing the whistle against the intelligence community. The President is not a member of that community.
            Sorry Bill, but that is how the law works. Part of the reason for the law is to allow for "urgent concerns" to be reported to Congress in order that they are able to check any abuses of the "Executive Branch." You do know what the executive branch is, right?

Comment

• I'm seeing some buzz that the "whistleblower's" complaint is based largely on media reporting rather than on any information he himself was petsonally familiar with. We'll see how this shakes out.

Comment

• So now we know the substance of the "whistleblower's" complaint, and, well...

In the nine-page document, the so-called “whistleblower” claims that the president was “using the power of his office to solicit interference from a foreign country in the 2020 U.S. election.” While characterizing the Trump-Zelensky call based on hearsay, it accuses the White House of attempting to conceal records related to their conversation. Further, it claims President Trump’s personal lawyer, Rudy Giuliani, is a “central figure” in the effort and alleges U.S. Attorney General William Barr “appears to be involved as well.”

“The interference includes, among other things, pressuring a foreign country to investigate one of the president’s main domestic political rivals,” the complaint states. “The president’s personal lawyer, Mr. Rudolph Giuliani, is a central figure in this effort. Attorney General Barr appears to be involved as well.”

The transcript of the call was released Tuesday, showing no pressure to investigate Biden, and President Zelensky denied in person that he felt any such pressure from the conversation.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...ees-complaint/

Did I call it? Or did I call it?

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                Most likely it's another nothing burger.

Comment

• More details about the "whistblower" complaint...

The document contains no first-hand knowledge of the July 25 phone call between Trump and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky and relies entirely on leaks by “White House officials.” The “whistleblower” even admits: “I do not know which side initiated the call.”

Some allegations in the complaint seem to be distortions of exaggerations of information in the transcript itself, which the White House released Wednesday. For example, the whistleblower claims that Trump “praised Ukraine’s Prosecutor General, Mr. Yuriy Letsenko.” Trump appears never to have mentioned Letsenko, and his reference to a prosecutor (“I heard you had a prosecutor who was very good and he was shut down”) was a reference to former Ukrainian Prosecutor General Viktor Shokin. Shokin was investigating Burisma Holdings, on whose board Hunter Biden served, at the time Joe Biden demanded he be fired, under threat of withholding $1 billion in American aid.

In addition, the whistleblower goes beyond reporting alleged misconduct and proceeds to build a case against the president’s conduct of foreign relations with Ukraine, relying extensively on reports from the mainstream media, including the New York Times, The Hill, This Week with George Stephanopoulous on ABC News, and other sources.

That repeats a pattern from the “Russia collusion” claim, in which the FBI relied partly on media reports to justify applying for warrants to conduct surveillance on Trump campaign officials.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...ne-transcript/

Comment

So now we know the substance of the "whistleblower's" complaint, and, well...

In the nine-page document, the so-called “whistleblower” claims that the president was “using the power of his office to solicit interference from a foreign country in the 2020 U.S. election.” While characterizing the Trump-Zelensky call based on hearsay, it accuses the White House of attempting to conceal records related to their conversation. Further, it claims President Trump’s personal lawyer, Rudy Giuliani, is a “central figure” in the effort and alleges U.S. Attorney General William Barr “appears to be involved as well.”

“The interference includes, among other things, pressuring a foreign country to investigate one of the president’s main domestic political rivals,” the complaint states. “The president’s personal lawyer, Mr. Rudolph Giuliani, is a central figure in this effort. Attorney General Barr appears to be involved as well.”

The transcript of the call was released Tuesday, showing no pressure to investigate Biden, and President Zelensky denied in person that he felt any such pressure from the conversation.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...ees-complaint/

Did I call it? Or did I call it?

Or perhaps you went to the echo chamber and heard an echo? It is going to be interesting to see how things develop though I have a feeling you want to conclude already?
                    "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
                      Or perhaps you went to the echo chamber and heard an echo? It is going to be interesting to see how things develop though I have a feeling you want to conclude already?
                      It's a Rorschach test for both sides, Charles. Don't even try acting like it isn't. If you hate Trump, you will see whatever you want that confirms your bias. Same if you like him.
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Shades of Steele?

The complaint is the same structure as the Steele Dossier. No direct knowledge; no direct evidence to the claims; second-hand gossip, rumors from people who might have known another person to have overheard something, mixed with prior media reports to narrate a story as told by the author.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...ere-it-is-pdf/
                        Last edited by Mountain Man; 09-26-2019, 01:11 PM.

Comment

• No kidding!

Whistle-Blower Is a C.I.A. Officer Who Was Detailed to the White House

His complaint suggested he was an analyst by training with an understanding of Ukrainian politics.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/26/u...tleblower.html
                          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Shades of Steele?

The complaint is the same structure as the Steele Dossier. No direct knowledge; no direct evidence to the claims; second-hand gossip, rumors from people who might have known another person to have overheard something, mixed with prior media reports to narrate a story as told by the author.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...ere-it-is-pdf/
                            I just got finished reading it and the was a HUGE red flag to me. It names everyone BUT those 'officials' who are the sources. Further, no explanation is given for why they aren't named.

I caught one factual error as well.
                            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                              No kidding!
                              Shame on you, Seer. This is supposed to be about political left vs. right, not about intelligence credibility

J/K

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
                                Shame on you, Seer. This is supposed to be about political left vs. right, not about intelligence credibility

J/K
                                my bad... Probably a Brennan hold over...
                                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment