Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Why NC-9 Should Frighten the Democrats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JimL
    replied
    Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    Your claim:

“Republicans know that they can’t win democratically...”

So tell us, how many issues did liberals take to the courts because they couldn’t win through the ballet box?
    Actually it's your claim, so you tell me.

Leave a comment:

• lilpixieofterror
    replied
    Originally posted by JimL View Post
    You don't believe in courts, eh Lilpix? Typical republican!
    Your claim:

“Republicans know that they can’t win democratically...”

So tell us, how many issues did liberals take to the courts because they couldn’t win through the ballet box?

Leave a comment:

• JimL
    replied
    Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    That’s rich. Tell me again what party has used the courts to shove their agenda down the throats of Americans.
    You don't believe in courts, eh Lilpix? Typical republican!

Leave a comment:

• lilpixieofterror
    replied
    Originally posted by JimL View Post
    Nothing new, that is how the republican party operates, when republicans know they can't win democratically, they find ways to undermine the democratic process. This was just a blatant example of what they do. The reason they even had this special election is because of the election fraud they carried out in the last election.
    That’s rich. Tell me again what party has used the courts to shove their agenda down the throats of Americans.

Leave a comment:

• JimL
    replied
    Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Nope, just a local controversy.

The Republicans in the state legislature waited until most of the Democrats were at a 9/11 memorial service to sneak overturn the governor's veto of the budget (after promising they wouldn't pursue any legislation). I'm furious.
    Nothing new, that is how the republican party operates, when republicans know they can't win democratically, they find ways to undermine the democratic process. This was just a blatant example of what they do. The reason they even had this special election is because of the election fraud they carried out in the last election.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    I can't read that paywalled site but given the specific nature of the allegation of notice from multiple parties, I see no reason to believe that denial. One prominent Democrat has pointed to the existence of a paper trail documenting this.

They did know they were in session but figured the gravity of the date was such that both sides might agree that politics could be put aside for a few hours.
    ? Paywall?

I didn't see one - sorry.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    Sounds like to me the Republicans calculated slyly, and exploited a chance opportunity, and cheated their enemy.
    Quite possibly - but where were these guys?

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    The term "bellwether" was being tossed around by liberal pundits before the election, saying that it would be a preview of the 2020 election. There were actually two races in North Carolina. One was a blowout in favor of the Republicans, the other, in the 9th district, was a narrow win. Of course the narrative immediately changed, and now it's no longer a sign of things to come.
    Funny how that works.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    Er, technically, they didn't 'pursue' legislation...

Read a WP article - the Dems claim the Speaker promised no votes and local outlets report only one or two Dems actually attended 9/11 memorials at the time. The Speaker denies making the promise.

How did the Democrats not know the legislature was in session? Where were they?
    I can't read that paywalled site but given the specific nature of the allegation of notice from multiple parties, I see no reason to believe that denial. One prominent Democrat has pointed to the existence of a paper trail documenting this.

They did know they were in session but figured the gravity of the date was such that both sides might agree that politics could be put aside for a few hours.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    Its anyone's guess, I honestly don't know anymore.
    The term "bellwether" was being tossed around by liberal pundits before the election, saying that it would be a preview of the 2020 election. There were actually two races in North Carolina. One was a blowout in favor of the Republicans, the other, in the 9th district, was a narrow win. Of course the narrative immediately changed, and now it's no longer a sign of things to come.

Leave a comment:

• Leonhard
    replied
    Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

Read a WP article - the Dems claim the Speaker promised no votes and local outlets report only one or two Dems actually attended 9/11 memorials at the time. The Speaker denies making the promise.

Sounds like to me the Republicans calculated slyly, and exploited a chance opportunity, and cheated their enemy.

Leave a comment:

• Leonhard
    replied
    Its anyone's guess, I honestly don't know anymore.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Back to the subject at hand... I'm hearing the left pumped in a lot of money from out of state to win this race -- many times more than what the Republicans spent. Anyone got any details?

I've also heard that the Democrat was up by something like 17 points according to the polls something like a week before the election.
    How I've heard it, this was a seat that the Democrats lost in 2018, but they insisted the margin of victory was too narrow, so they sued for a recount; however, the Republican candidate said, "Forget it. I don't have time for this nonsense," and resigned. This is what triggered the special election. The Democrats poured tons of money into this race, and the Democrat candidate was in continual campaign mode since late 2018, while the Republican challenger only campaigned for a few months. By all accounts, the Democrats should have had a significant advantage going into this election, but they managed to lose by an even larger margin than before.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    Nope, just a local controversy.

The Republicans in the state legislature waited until most of the Democrats were at a 9/11 memorial service to sneak overturn the governor's veto of the budget (after promising they wouldn't pursue any legislation). I'm furious.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Here are some quick numbers by https://www.issueone.org/outside-mon...he-nc-09-race/.

• $20.3 million: The amount that candidates, outside groups, and political parties have invested so far in this election. Of that, $8.1 million was controlled by the candidates, $7.8 million was spent by outside groups, including super PACs and dark money groups, and $4.3 million was spent by the NRCC and the DCCC.
    • 100%: The percentage of spending by the party committees that was negative.
    • 100%: The percentage of dark money in this race that supports Democrat Dan McCready, with four liberal dark money groups spending a combined $1.6 million.
    • 29: The number of outside groups — including super PACs, political action committees, and dark money groups — active in this race. The top-spending group — the Congressional Leadership Fund super PAC, which supported Republican Dan Bishop — alone spent $2.3 million, accounting for about 30% of all spending by outside groups in the race.
    • 2.6-to-1: The ratio of campaign cash raised by Democrat Dan McCready ($5.4 million) versus Republican Dan Bishop ($2.1 million).
    • 2.5-to-1: The ratio of money spent on ads by the NRCC ($3.1 million) versus money spent on ads by the DCCC ($1.2 million).
    • 1.4-to-1: The ratio of money spent by other outside groups supporting Republican Dan Bishop ($3.9 million) versus money spent by other liberal outside groups supporting Dan McCready ($2.7 million).

From this it looks like the same amount was spent by both sides.

Leave a comment: