Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Are Re-Education Camps That Far Fetched?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fm93
    replied
    Originally posted by seer View Post
    Leonhard, even if Don Jones made his views known calmly, or based on Christian convictions, it would have been the same. There have been a number of high profile cases of late like the CEO of Mozilla. It is chilling, there is an orthodoxy forming in this country and you better hope that you don't get on the wrong side of it.
    I think this is a rather uncharitable evaluation of society. While I disagreed with the decision to remove Eich, I understood that people were upset because he'd actively contributed money towards a cause that they view as inherently discriminatory. It wasn't simply because he'd expressed an unpopular opinion. Besides, professional athletes like Torii Hunter and Adrian Peterson have publicly stated that they don't support gay marriage (with Hunter even saying that he'd feel uncomfortable playing with a gay teammate), but no disciplinary action was taken against them. That's precisely because they stated those views calmly and in a non-inflammatory manner. Compare these lines:

Peterson (regarding gay marriage):
    "I have relatives who are gay. I'm not biased towards them. I still treat them the same. I love 'em. But again, I'm not with it. That's not something I believe in. But to each his own."
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/93...s-gay-marriage
    Hunter (in regard to playing with gay teammates):
    "For me, as a Christian … I will be uncomfortable because in all my teachings and all my learning, biblically, it's not right...It will be difficult and uncomfortable."
    http://articles.latimes.com/2012/dec...hobia-20121230
    Jones (in regard to Michael Sam kissing someone):
    OMG! Horrible!
    See the difference? Peterson and Hunter's statements still spark disagreement, but they aren't too offensive, and they suggest that some degree of thought was put into it. Jones' tweets, on the other hand, were knee-jerk reactions and had a tone of disgust. THAT truly is intolerant and harmful, and that's why he was disciplined. (I also agree with KingsGambit's earlier suggestion that the Dolphins' bullying scandal inspired management to take a stronger, swifter response.)

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    Amazing how relevant de Tocqueville is even today...

Tyranny in democratic republics does not proceed in the same way, however. It ignores the body and goes straight for the soul. The master no longer says: You will think as I do or die. He says: You are free not to think as I do. You may keep your life, your property, and everything else. But from this day forth you shall be as a stranger among us. You will retain your civic privileges, but they will be of no use to you. For if you seek the votes of your fellow citizens, they will withhold them, and if you seek only their esteem, they will feign to refuse even that. You will remain among men, but you will forfeit your rights to humanity. When you approach your fellow creatures, they will shun you as one who is impure. And even those who believe in your innocence will abandon you, lest they, too, be shunned in turn. Go in peace, I will not take your life, but the life I leave you with is worse than death.”

Alexis de Tocqueville

Leave a comment:

• Bill the Cat
    replied
    Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
    Teallaura made a similar comment. Is it possible to call a bigot a bigot without being a bigot? I’m going to have to think about that. It may come down to the use of reason and this is where, unfortunately, the religious loose their foundation.
    I disagree. I think it is reason that is our biggest ally.

“Those who will not reason are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves.”
    ― George Gordon Byron

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    I have a better quiz....

Is Firstfloor a hypocrite and a bigot?
    1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. All of the above.

Leave a comment:

• Bill the Cat
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    ---
    The Are you a Religious Bigot? Test
    Hi! And welcome to my Are you a Religious Bigot? Test. I'll be using advanced logic and knowledge to determine your true nature. This test is for fun only, don't get offended. And if you do get offended -- too bad. :)
    ---

The it goes on to ask loaded questions that make it obvious that the person (ff?) who made this quiz is bigoted against any view other than his own.

1 Do you think your religion is the "only way to go"?

Yes

No

There's more than one religion?

2 Are "All Gods One God"?

Yes

No

There is only One God!

3 You're talking religion. Some people don't agree with you. You...

Smile and let them rant.

Discuss the differences in your religions.

Tell them they'll burn in Hell if they don't change their ways.

4 Someone you work with worships in a way that is very foriegn to you, and all of your co-workers. You...

Think "so what?" and mind your own.

Talk to the boss, and get them fired. We don't need those pinko's here!

Bring your own worship materials into work, to make them uncomfortable
    Load questions much???

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    It may come down to the use of reason and this is where, unfortunately, the religious loose their foundation.
    What utter nonsense - foundation? Ok, we Christians believe our reasoning abilities were created by a rational God. And you believe what? What is your foundation for rationality FF? The blind, non-rational forces of nature?

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    That site is blocked here. What does it say at the beginning?
    ---
    The Are you a Religious Bigot? Test
    Hi! And welcome to my Are you a Religious Bigot? Test. I'll be using advanced logic and knowledge to determine your true nature. This test is for fun only, don't get offended. And if you do get offended -- too bad. :)
    ---

The it goes on to ask loaded questions that make it obvious that the person (ff?) who made this quiz is bigoted against any view other than his own.

1 Do you think your religion is the "only way to go"?

Yes

No

There's more than one religion?

2 Are "All Gods One God"?

Yes

No

There is only One God!

3 You're talking religion. Some people don't agree with you. You...

Smile and let them rant.

Discuss the differences in your religions.

Tell them they'll burn in Hell if they don't change their ways.

4 Someone you work with worships in a way that is very foriegn to you, and all of your co-workers. You...

Think "so what?" and mind your own.

Talk to the boss, and get them fired. We don't need those pinko's here!

Bring your own worship materials into work, to make them uncomfortable

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    “Those who will not reason are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves.”
    ― George Gordon Byron
    You shouldn't be so hard on yourself FF.

Leave a comment:

• firstfloor
    replied
    Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    So, it is intolerant to call someone a bigot and a homophobe then?
    Teallaura made a similar comment. Is it possible to call a bigot a bigot without being a bigot? I’m going to have to think about that. It may come down to the use of reason and this is where, unfortunately, the religious loose their foundation.
    ― George Gordon Byron

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    I am appalled to think that you find me closed-minded. Can you give me an example of my intolerance that is not just an opinion that you disagree with? Anyone can join in.
    Really? This is worse than I thought!

Leave a comment:

• firstfloor
    replied
    Originally posted by seer View Post
    The fact is FF, tolerance is a one way street with the left and with you. You bias is evident - you don't believe in diversity or the ability to "rub along." You are as closed minded as any Fundy...
    I am appalled to think that you find me closed-minded. Can you give me an example of my intolerance that is not just an opinion that you disagree with? Anyone can join in.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    It seems that way because the LBGT movement is becoming more vocal and more intolerant of intolerance in political circles. Sodomy laws were repealed quite recently so it is still a relatively new phenomenon and as long as the argument persists it will be quite noisy. But it amazes me that in the currently young generation it is old news. They have moved on even if we haven’t quite yet.
    The fact is FF, tolerance is a one way street with the left and with you. You bias is evident - you don't believe in diversity or the ability to "rub along." You are as closed minded as any Fundy...

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    You seem to be glaring at me in an intolerant way.
    No, that's a MOCK glare... you're just intolerant of ALL glaring.

I’m going to defuse this situation by smiling back at everyone.
    Yeah

Leave a comment:

• firstfloor
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I'm VERY tolerant, except when those who claim to be tolerant are anything but.
    You seem to be glaring at me in an intolerant way.
    I’m going to defuse this situation by smiling back at everyone.

Leave a comment:

• Bill the Cat
    replied
    Tolerance is definitely not agreement but it ought to lead to civilised and open discussion particularly of problems that go across religious and other boundaries.
    So, it is intolerant to call someone a bigot and a homophobe then?

Leave a comment: