Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Are Re-Education Camps That Far Fetched?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post
    Really? Have you ever heard locker room conversations or conversation during the game - really - this is FOOTBALL, every one gets bullied! Why not just neuter them - that is what they are after anyway. De-balled men...
    If you've read the official league report on the scandal (and I have), there was some extremely un-Christian behavior in there that no Christian has business defending. This included "mandatory" team meetings at strip clubs where players would get fined for not attending, and worse.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      If you've read the official league report on the scandal (and I have), there was some extremely un-Christian behavior in there that no Christian has business defending. This included "mandatory" team meetings at strip clubs where players would get fined for not attending, and worse.
      I'm not defending all their behavior.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I'm not defending all their behavior.
        That was the impression I got from your post.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          That was the impression I got from your post.
          Not me.
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

What if this was Don Jones' religious belief? Why shouldn't he have the right to say his piece without being in fear of his job or fined. I mean if he came out in support of homosexual players or gay marriage he would be lauded! Why does one opinion bring shame and the necessity of re-education and the other opinion bring praise?
            So was it the government who did this, or was it his employers. Your OP implied that the government was creating reeducation camps. This seems more like job compliance.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
              So was it the government who did this, or was it his employers. Your OP implied that the government was creating reeducation camps. This seems more like job compliance.
              Yes, it is job compliance, it doesn't make it any more acceptable. Again what if Don Jones came out and said, according to his religious beliefs, he believed that homosexual behavior or gay marriage were deeply immoral - should he be fined or be threatened with job loss?
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Yes, it is job compliance, it doesn't make it any more acceptable. Again what if Don Jones came out and said, according to his religious beliefs, he believed that homosexual behavior or gay marriage were deeply immoral - should he be fined or be threatened with job loss?
                Do you not believe in a free market? Are you saying you are against at-will employment?

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                  Do you not believe in a free market? Are you saying you are against at-will employment?
                  You mean it would be OK to fire a homosexual because he supports gay marriage publicly?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    I thought we called them "Public Schools" nowadays.

Comment

You mean it would be OK to fire a homosexual because he supports gay marriage publicly?
                      Zing!
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

New amen button.

Comment

Why do people forget that unlike sexual preference, religious freedom is A. Civil. Right. and protected in employment practices. I know some people hate that. But it is one of the founding principles of this country.

For the record, I would be outraged if a gay person were fired for their political beliefs. Wrong. On. Any. Count. Whether or not it is now or is in the future a codified civil right. It is a human right to have an unpopular opinion, and I would gladly stand up for gay people who are denied this.

It disgusts me that others don't accord this same freedom. It is a horrendously chilling effect on everyone's rights to participate in the public sphere if anyone sits by when people lose their jobs for reasons completely unrelated to their ability to perform the job. It was wrong any time any conservative ever did that to any gay person. It is equally wrong to do that because of someone's religious beliefs.

I can sleep at night because I defend this right to all people.

It is ghastly to me that people try to hide behind the idea that protection of free speech any belongs to the government as if it isn't a completely noble principle that in nearly every situation we should be calling people to in all facets. I believe in real tolerance.

But the hard fact again is this, Religious Liberty is a protected Civil Right. I thought everyone was so concerned about rights today, but not the one's inconvenient to your particular POV? That is called hypocrisy.

No one should have their free speech chilled in this way.

And I walk the walk. TWeb is founded and is ran upon these very principles. Unpopular opinions are allowed. Without fear.

I am speaking on principles that transcend this particular issue. Having libertarian leanings, I don't think the State should be involved in marriage. I think people should be free to pursue their happiness in that manner in whichever way they choose. Live and let live. Sticks and stones can break my bones but words can never hurt me. We are all adults, aren't we? I don't care what you think of my life, and Lord knows, I have brought forth here and stated it is a person's own business if they want to live an alternative lifestyle. And no I won't argue about with those that disagree. I say, be well, and you are entitled to your position.

The freedom of the human mind and open participation to all in the public sphere is my purpose. To. All. You want to marry another man but are a great mechanic? Awesome, when can I bring you my car? You are a supporter of opposite sex marriage only but can paint houses like no one's business? Great, what do you charge?

Why can't we all be mature adults and not children.
                          Last edited by Darth Xena; 05-12-2014, 04:26 PM.
                          The State. Ideas so good they have to be mandatory.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dee Dee Warren View Post
                            Why do people forget that unlike sexual preference, religious freedom is A. Civil. Right. and protected in employment practices. I know some people hate that. But it is one of the founding principles of this country.

For the record, I would be outraged if a gay person were fired for their political beliefs. Wrong. On. Any. Count. Whether or not it is now or is in the future a codified civil right. It is a human right to have an unpopular opinion, and I would gladly stand up for gay people who are denied this.

It disgusts me that others don't accord this same freedom. It is a horrendously chilling effect on everyone's rights to participate in the public sphere if anyone sits by when people lose their jobs for reasons completely unrelated to their ability to perform the job. It was wrong any time any conservative ever did that to any gay person. It is equally wrong to do that because of someone's religious beliefs.

I can sleep at night because I defend this right to all people.

It is ghastly to me that people try to hide behind the idea that protection of free speech any belongs to the government as if it isn't a completely noble principle that in nearly every situation we should be calling people to in all facets. I believe in real tolerance.

But the hard fact again is this, Religious Liberty is a protected Civil Right. I thought everyone was so concerned about rights today, but not the one's inconvenient to your particular POV? That is called hypocrisy.

No one should have their free speech chilled in this way.

And I walk the walk. TWeb is founded and is ran upon these very principles. Unpopular opinions are allowed. Without fear.

I am speaking on principles that transcend this particular issue. Having libertarian leanings, I don't think the State should be involved in marriage. I think people should be free to pursue their happiness in that manner in whichever way they choose. Live and let live. Sticks and stones can break my bones but words can never hurt me. We are all adults, aren't we? I don't care what you think of my life, and Lord knows, I have brought forth here and stated it is a person's own business if they want to live an alternative lifestyle. And no I won't argue about with those that disagree. I say, be well, and you are entitled to your position.

The freedom of the human mind and open participation to all in the public sphere is my purpose. To. All. You want to marry another man but are a great mechanic? Awesome, when can I bring you my car? You are a supporter of opposite sex marriage only but can paint houses like no one's business? Great, what do you charge?

I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Dee Dee Warren View Post

I dunno - sometimes I think children act better...
                              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Since as has been mentioned, religious freedom has some legal protections, I would have liked to see what would have happened had he pursued that line of argumentation.

In the mid-90s, a Muslim NBA player refused to stand for the national anthem at games on the grounds that he felt it violated his religious beliefs. He got suspended by the league, but as it turns out, it would have probably been legally problematic to push it against him, so the league came up with a compromise for him. I don't know how similar the situation is to this one but it came to mind.

ETA: Obviously I'm not morally comparing the two cases, I'm just looking at this from a legal POV.

Comment