Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Are Re-Education Camps That Far Fetched?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
    Tolerance is definitely not agreement
    It is for the looney left!

but it ought to lead to civilised and open discussion particularly of problems that go across religious and other boundaries.
    SHOULD, yes. And I'm VERY tolerant, except when those who claim to be tolerant are anything but.

Leave a comment:

• firstfloor
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    What you are talking about is "agreement" though.
    Tolerance is allowing different opinions and beliefs that you yourself do not hold. You TOLERATE them. That doesn't mean you celebrate them, or agree with them.
    Just like I tolerate you. I don't like you or your trollish behavior here on tweb, or your smugness. But I tolerate the fact that you have a right to your own opinions, and can say what you want within the bounds of the rules on this site.
    Tolerance is not about agreeing or celebrating with someone. It is putting up with them and their views EVEN THOUGH YOU DISAGREE WITH THEM.
    Tolerance is definitely not agreement but it ought to lead to civilised and open discussion particularly of problems that go across religious and other boundaries.

Leave a comment:

• Bill the Cat
    replied

The quizz itself starts out as intolerant and bigoted.

Nice job.
    That site is blocked here. What does it say at the beginning?

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    You might be. I would recommend a self test and try to avoid calling a bigot a bigot ‘cos they are likely to call you a bigot right back.
    http://helloquizzy.okcupid.com/tests...ous-bigot-test
    Bigot!

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
    The more I read threads like this, the more I realize that "tolerance" is so much hogwash. The people who profess most vehemently to practice it are the most intolerant of all.

The irony just kills me.

ETA: But I'm sure this is just my intolerance/religious bigotry/hatred/racism/sexism/homophobia/closed-mindedness speaking.
    YeahZackly!

Leave a comment:

• Zymologist
    replied
    The more I read threads like this, the more I realize that "tolerance" is so much hogwash. The people who profess most vehemently to practice it are the most intolerant of all.

The irony just kills me.

ETA: But I'm sure this is just my intolerance/religious bigotry/hatred/racism/sexism/homophobia/closed-mindedness speaking.
    Last edited by Zymologist; 05-13-2014, 10:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    You might be. I would recommend a self test and try to avoid calling a bigot a bigot ‘cos they are likely to call you a bigot right back.

The quizz itself starts out as intolerant and bigoted.

Nice job.

Leave a comment:

• firstfloor
    replied
    Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    *emphasis mine

So you are necessarily a bigot yourself when you call anyone else a bigot on any grounds - and a hypocrite.

Leave a comment:

• firstfloor
    replied
    Originally posted by seer View Post
    FF, on this board, I and others, have posted thread after thread of the intolerance coming from the left. There is no, and I mean zero, evidence of Christians trying to get people fired or fined or ostracized for supporting let's say gay marriage or gay rights. The intolerance is coming from the left is far more destructive than anything coming from the conservatives. Talk about bigotry...
    It seems that way because the LBGT movement is becoming more vocal and more intolerant of intolerance in political circles. Sodomy laws were repealed quite recently so it is still a relatively new phenomenon and as long as the argument persists it will be quite noisy. But it amazes me that in the currently young generation it is old news. They have moved on even if we haven’t quite yet.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Tolerance in this context is about the open and ungrudging willingness to rub along with people of different opinions and behaviours and it is welcoming of diversity because the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. It is about the celebration rather than the denigration of difference; hands across the sea and all that.
    What you are talking about is "agreement" though.

Tolerance is allowing different opinions and beliefs that you yourself do not hold. You TOLERATE them. That doesn't mean you celebrate them, or agree with them.

Just like I tolerate you. I don't like you or your trollish behavior here on tweb, or your smugness. But I tolerate the fact that you have a right to your own opinions, and can say what you want within the bounds of the rules on this site.

Tolerance is not about agreeing or celebrating with someone. It is putting up with them and their views EVEN THOUGH YOU DISAGREE WITH THEM.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    Tolerance in this context is about the open and ungrudging willingness to rub along with people of different opinions and behaviours and it is welcoming of diversity because the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. It is about the celebration rather than the denigration of difference; hands across the sea and all that.
    *emphasis mine

So you are necessarily a bigot yourself when you call anyone else a bigot on any grounds - and a hypocrite.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    Tolerance in this context is about the open and ungrudging willingness to rub along with people of different opinions and behaviours and it is welcoming of diversity because the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
    You mean like what the left isn't doing...
    Last edited by seer; 05-13-2014, 09:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    I would say so. Bigotry is just another word for intolerance. Religious intolerance is the worst sort because it is destructively conservative. It does not easily learn new tricks or new ways of understanding the world and is often slow to absorb new knowledge. The current gay marriage debate in Christianity is just one example of the problem of religiously inspired intolerance in the world. Blasphemy and Apostasy are other big issues of the same type.
    FF, on this board, I and others, have posted thread after thread of the intolerance coming from the left. There is no, and I mean zero, evidence of Christians trying to get people fired or fined or ostracized for supporting let's say gay marriage or gay rights. The intolerance is coming from the left is far more destructive than anything coming from the conservatives. Talk about bigotry...

Leave a comment:

• firstfloor
    replied
    Can you define tolerance for me in your own words?

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    I would say so. Bigotry is just another word for intolerance. Religious intolerance is the worst sort because it is destructively conservative. It does not easily learn new tricks or new ways of understanding the world and is often slow to absorb new knowledge. The current gay marriage debate in Christianity is just one example of the problem of religiously inspired intolerance in the world. Blasphemy and Apostasy are other big issues of the same type.
    Can you define tolerance for me in your own words?

Leave a comment: