Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Are Re-Education Camps That Far Fetched?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
    You might be. I would recommend a self test and try to avoid calling a bigot a bigot ‘cos they are likely to call you a bigot right back.
    http://helloquizzy.okcupid.com/tests...ous-bigot-test

The quizz itself starts out as intolerant and bigoted.

Nice job.

Comment

The more I read threads like this, the more I realize that "tolerance" is so much hogwash. The people who profess most vehemently to practice it are the most intolerant of all.

The irony just kills me.

ETA: But I'm sure this is just my intolerance/religious bigotry/hatred/racism/sexism/homophobia/closed-mindedness speaking.
      Last edited by Zymologist; 05-13-2014, 10:08 AM.
      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
        The more I read threads like this, the more I realize that "tolerance" is so much hogwash. The people who profess most vehemently to practice it are the most intolerant of all.

The irony just kills me.

ETA: But I'm sure this is just my intolerance/religious bigotry/hatred/racism/sexism/homophobia/closed-mindedness speaking.
        YeahZackly!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You might be. I would recommend a self test and try to avoid calling a bigot a bigot ‘cos they are likely to call you a bigot right back.
          http://helloquizzy.okcupid.com/tests...ous-bigot-test
          Bigot!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

The quizz itself starts out as intolerant and bigoted.

Nice job.
            That site is blocked here. What does it say at the beginning?
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              What you are talking about is "agreement" though.
              Tolerance is allowing different opinions and beliefs that you yourself do not hold. You TOLERATE them. That doesn't mean you celebrate them, or agree with them.
              Just like I tolerate you. I don't like you or your trollish behavior here on tweb, or your smugness. But I tolerate the fact that you have a right to your own opinions, and can say what you want within the bounds of the rules on this site.
              Tolerance is not about agreeing or celebrating with someone. It is putting up with them and their views EVEN THOUGH YOU DISAGREE WITH THEM.
              Tolerance is definitely not agreement but it ought to lead to civilised and open discussion particularly of problems that go across religious and other boundaries.
              “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
              “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
              “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Tolerance is definitely not agreement
                It is for the looney left!

but it ought to lead to civilised and open discussion particularly of problems that go across religious and other boundaries.
                SHOULD, yes. And I'm VERY tolerant, except when those who claim to be tolerant are anything but.

Comment

Tolerance is definitely not agreement but it ought to lead to civilised and open discussion particularly of problems that go across religious and other boundaries.
                  So, it is intolerant to call someone a bigot and a homophobe then?
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                  - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    I'm VERY tolerant, except when those who claim to be tolerant are anything but.
                    You seem to be glaring at me in an intolerant way.
                    I’m going to defuse this situation by smiling back at everyone.
                    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

You seem to be glaring at me in an intolerant way.
                      No, that's a MOCK glare... you're just intolerant of ALL glaring.

I’m going to defuse this situation by smiling back at everyone.
                      Yeah

Comment

It seems that way because the LBGT movement is becoming more vocal and more intolerant of intolerance in political circles. Sodomy laws were repealed quite recently so it is still a relatively new phenomenon and as long as the argument persists it will be quite noisy. But it amazes me that in the currently young generation it is old news. They have moved on even if we haven’t quite yet.
                        The fact is FF, tolerance is a one way street with the left and with you. You bias is evident - you don't believe in diversity or the ability to "rub along." You are as closed minded as any Fundy...
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                          The fact is FF, tolerance is a one way street with the left and with you. You bias is evident - you don't believe in diversity or the ability to "rub along." You are as closed minded as any Fundy...
                          I am appalled to think that you find me closed-minded. Can you give me an example of my intolerance that is not just an opinion that you disagree with? Anyone can join in.

Comment

I am appalled to think that you find me closed-minded. Can you give me an example of my intolerance that is not just an opinion that you disagree with? Anyone can join in.
                            Really? This is worse than I thought!
                            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                              So, it is intolerant to call someone a bigot and a homophobe then?
                              Teallaura made a similar comment. Is it possible to call a bigot a bigot without being a bigot? I’m going to have to think about that. It may come down to the use of reason and this is where, unfortunately, the religious loose their foundation.
                              “Those who will not reason are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves.”
                              ― George Gordon Byron

Comment

“Those who will not reason are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves.”
                                ― George Gordon Byron
                                You shouldn't be so hard on yourself FF.

Comment