Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Why I Voted For Trump...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
    And that makes a difference, why?
    Because you attempted to minimize their role in abortion. It's what they do. And, sure, the also provide "other services", which they grossly exaggerate by listing every single separate thing they do as "a service".

For Planned Parenthood abortion stats, ‘3 percent’ and ’94 percent’ are both misleading

Planned Parenthood’s ‘three percent’

When all services are counted equally, abortion procedures do account for 3 percent of Planned Parenthood’s total services.

But there are obvious differences between these services. For example, a first trimester abortion can cost up to $1,500, according to the Planned Parenthood Web site. Yet an emergency contraceptive pill costs around $45 and a urine pregnancy test costs around $10 at a pharmacy. An abortion is a different type of procedure than a vasectomy, or testing for sexually transmitted infections or diseases, or a vaccine for human papilloma virus (HPV), and so forth.

While each service is listed separately, many clients received multiple services. A woman may get a pregnancy test, birth control and a pap smear, but she would be counted three times, once for each service, in the annual report.

Those who oppose abortion rights have criticized this definition, saying the 3 percent figure misleads the public. In a recent New York Post op-ed, National Review editor Rich Lowry wrote a series of analogies to argue that the 3 percent figure “is crafted to obscure the reality of Planned Parenthood’s business:”

The Pinocchio Test

The 3 percent figure that Planned Parenthood uses is misleading, comparing abortion services to every other service that it provides. The organization treats each service — pregnancy test, STD test, abortion, birth control — equally. Yet there are obvious difference between a surgical (or even medical) abortion, and offering a urine (or even blood) pregnancy test. These services are not all comparable in how much they cost or how extensive the service or procedure is.

Three Pinocchios

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The fact that we disagree about what abortion is and what is truly going on, is noted.
      So what is killed, during an abortion?
      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
        So what is killed, during an abortion?
        A fetal growth, part of a womans body, that has the possibility of becoming a human person.

Comment

A fetal growth, part of a womans body, that has the possibility of becoming a human person.
          No, Jim, is is NOT "part of a woman's body". It is actually a human being, having its very own unique DNA.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            No, Jim, is is NOT "part of a woman's body". It is actually a human being, having its very own unique DNA.
            It comes from and is connected to a womans body which makes it part of a womans body. And DNA is contained in the cells of all things, in itself it does not a human being define.

Comment

A fetus is not part of a women’s body. Did you fail biology too?
              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

It comes from and is connected to a womans body which makes it part of a womans body. And DNA is contained in the cells of all things, in itself it does not a human being define.
                Making up your own biological definitions now Jimmy? Where did you pull that one from?
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

It comes from and is connected to a womans body which makes it part of a womans body.
                  Where did you get your degree in biology, Jim? Cause you need to send it back.

And DNA is contained in the cells of all things, in itself it does not a human being define.
                  Have you ever watched crime shows, Jim? They actually use DNA to distinguish between individual humans, because no two humans have exactly the same DNA.

As I understand it, we used to say "except identical twins", but I believe new findings have determined even they have unique DNA.

Actually, here's a great article on that. Do Identical Twins Have the Same DNA?

I can assure you, Jim, that the mother and unborn baby have distinctly different DNA, proving the baby is not "part of the mother". The mother is the HOST to the baby.

Comment

It wasn't "overwhelming silence", you dunderhead.
                    Not so. Initially, when Roe v Wade was brought down many on the religious right were pro-choice Evangelicals and maintained silence on the issue or applauded it. W. Barry Garrett wrote in the Baptist Press that, “Religious liberty, human equality and justice are advanced by the Supreme Court abortion decision.”

https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/b...on-roe-v-wade/

It simply wasn't much of an issue when it was thought that abortion might be necessary on rare occasions, then Roe v Wade made ABORTION ON DEMAND a hot topic, and became a major issue.
                    You have an ‘interesting’ view of your own history. Roe v Wade was NOT abortion on demand. It was a nuanced, graduated approach to abortion.

The court divided pregnancy into three trimesters, and declared that the choice to end a pregnancy in the first trimester was solely up to the woman. In the second trimester, the government could regulate abortion, although not ban it, in order to protect the mother’s health. In the third trimester, the state could prohibit abortion to protect a fetus that could survive on its own outside the womb, except when a woman’s health was in danger.

It took a full six years (1979) for the religious right leadership to abandon its pro-choice position
                    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Not just different DNA but it's own brain waves and heartbeat.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Earliest electrical activity in the brain (not necessarily "brain waves" per se) occurs at about five to six weeks.

It is appalling that people want to defend the "right" to terminate a genetically distinct human organism at *any* point, especially once it has developed brain activity. It can only be an indication that their own brain activity is severely marred.
                        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                          Earliest electrical activity in the brain (not necessarily "brain waves" per se) occurs at about five to six weeks.
                          For most people it is a functioning brain that defines a human being. And the very beginnings of a fetus’s higher brain structure only start to appear between weeks 12 and 16. Crucially, the coordinated brain activity required for consciousness does not occur until 24-25 weeks of pregnancy. We cannot say when consciousness first emerges, but it cannot rationally be called before the end of the second trimester at 24 weeks of pregnancy.
                          Last edited by Tassman; 10-25-2019, 04:46 AM.
                          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                            Not so.
                            You really don't know what you're talking about, Tass.

Initially, when Roe v Wade was brought down many on the religious right were pro-choice Evangelicals and maintained silence
                            Only a drama queen would declare that "overwhelming silence".

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              Yes, what other "part" of a human being has its very own heartbeat?

I actually hadn't run into anybody claiming that the unborn baby was simply "part" of the woman's body.

Comment

Yes, what other "part" of a human being has its very own heartbeat?

I actually hadn't run into anybody claiming that the unborn baby was simply "part" of the woman's body.
                                You still haven't, because I didn't call the fetus an unborn baby. Would you call a fertilized egg a baby?

Comment