Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Why I Voted For Trump...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
    Because I think it's completely irrelevant to anything I've said, am not interested in a discussion with you, don't know whether it's true, don't believe anything you say, don't see any point looking it something I don't care about, and have never denied it anyway.
    Good so we agree that the majority would be referencing the Christian God

So you agree that the establishment clause of the first amendment applies to state and local governments?
    I agree that CONGRESS shall make NO LAW, only applies to state Congresses actually making law.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
      Because I think it's completely irrelevant to anything I've said, am not interested in a discussion with you, don't know whether it's true, don't believe anything you say, don't see any point looking it something I don't care about, and have never denied it anyway.
      Good so we agree that the majority would be referencing the Christian God
      So you agree that the establishment clause of the first amendment applies to state and local governments?
      I agree that CONGRESS shall make NO LAW, only applies to state Congresses actually making law.
      [seer mode]
      Good so we agree that the establishment clause of the first amendment applies to state and local governments
      [/seer mode]

This is pointless.
      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

[seer mode]
        Good so we agree that the establishment clause of the first amendment applies to state and local governments
        [/seer mode]

This is pointless.
        No Roy, I explained my position - which you refuse to do.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

That is just false Jim, the Founders put into law exactly what they wanted in law. Congress shall make no law - which has nothing to do with a school district for instance having a teacher led voluntary prayer.
          Congress shall make no law Respecting the establishment of religion! Christian prayer in public schools, public displayed monuments, etc. would be the state respecting an established religion as the state religion.

Comment

No Roy, I explained my position - which you refuse to do.
            My position is that trying to discuss anything with you is a waste of time because it inevitably leads to conversations like this:

other: I like porcupines.
            seer: bananas are blue. pineapples are purple.
            other: what has that got to do with porcupines?
            seer: so you agree bananas are blue.
            other: huh? how? what? NO!
            seer: so you agree that pineapples are purple.

I've explained this as much as is necessary, and even included an example.
            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
              Congress shall make no law Respecting the establishment of religion! Christian prayer in public schools, public displayed monuments, etc. would be the state respecting an established religion as the state religion.
              Ah, but you've forgotten that in seer's private universe the 14th amendment was never written, so the first amendment doesn't apply to states, only congress.

Comment

False Jim, Christian prayer in public schools is not CONGRESS making a LAW.

Comment

Ah, but you've forgotten that in seer's private universe the 14th amendment was never written, so the first amendment doesn't apply to states, only congress.
                  Why lie about me Roy? I just said that a state Congress can not make a LAW.

I just said: I agree that CONGRESS shall make NO LAW, only applies to state Congresses actually making law.
                  Last edited by seer; 09-25-2019, 11:05 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer
                    Why lie about me Roy? I just said that a state Congress can not make a LAW.
                    I wasn't lying - but you are. You've just added the words "a state", which weren't in your original statement.

Such blatant dishonesty is another reason why I am not interested in discussing anything with you.

Comment

I wasn't lying - but you are. You've just added the words "a state", which weren't in your original statement.

Such blatant dishonesty is another reason why I am not interested in discussing anything with you.
                      You are lying again Roy, I never changed anything. Here is the ORIGINAL with no edit time stamp.

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post672404

You really have no shame. Now get out of my thread!
                      Last edited by seer; 09-25-2019, 12:02 PM.

Comment

• Moderated By: Bill the Cat

Roy, the thread owner has asked you to leave. This is the formal mod request to comply. Thanks

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                        Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

That's what
                        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

That's correct, because the law is already implied in the clause. They don't have to make a law against christian led prayer in public schools when the fact that christian led prayer in public schools would be the government sponsering a religion.

Comment

Congress shall make no law Respecting the establishment of religion! ...
                            You dishonestly ignored the other half of the equation.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Read the whole sentence JimL, pay atttention to what i bolded.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

JimL, you are wrong. Allowing voluntary prayer in school(no matter who leads it,) the Public display monuments in public etc. IS NOT Establishing any religion as the state religion. However, not allowing it does infringe upon a persons free exercise of said religion.
                              Last edited by RumTumTugger; 09-25-2019, 06:06 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                You dishonestly ignored the other half of the equation.
                                No I didn't. The government isn't prohibiting anyones free exercise thereof. You can pray in the theatre, at the park, you can pray anywhere you want to pray, you can even pray in school when appropriate, but you can't be led in prayer in a public facility.

Comment