Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Why I Voted For Trump...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    And, as usual, you will cowpoke into non-specific vagueness.
    As opposed to specific vagueness?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      Exactly... the Constitution doesn't confer rights; rather, it protects the rights we inherently have. Roy seems to have a really hard time with that concept.
      It's a straightforward concept which I understand perfectly well - probably better than you do. I disagree with it.

It's not my fault you're too stupid to understand the difference between disagreement and lack of comprehension.
      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        To whom do you think the founders were referring? Where do you think they got that?

(And, in cause you're unaware, that's directly from the Declaration of Independence, and is a critical part of the founding of our nation)
        I'm aware. "Creator" is not equivalent to "God". If the founders did mean the Christian God, they did not specify such.
        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
          I'm aware.
          I would think you would be.

"Creator" is not equivalent to "God".
          In that time, and looking at the other 3 mentions, it is most definitely implied.

If the founders did mean the Christian God, they did not specify such.
          When in the United States I refer to "the Marines", do I need to specify that I'm referring to the US Marines, as opposed to the Royal Marines?

(And, not just the "Christian" God, but the Judeo-Christian God)
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'm aware. "Creator" is not equivalent to "God". If the founders did mean the Christian God, they did not specify such.
            Actually Roy, the majority did mean the Christian God since the majority were Christian. I mean what other god in that time could they be referencing Allah?

This might give us a hint:

Continental Congress’ November 1, 1777 national Thanksgiving Day Proclamation

It is therefore recommended to the legislative or executive powers of these United States, to set apart Thursday, the 18th day of December next, for solemn thanksgiving and praise; that with one heart and one voice the good people may express the grateful feelings of their hearts, and consecrate themselves to the service of their divine benefactor; and that together with their sincere acknowledgments and offerings, they may join the penitent confession of their manifold sins, whereby they had forfeited every favor, and their humble and earnest supplication that it may please God, through the merits of Jesus Christ, mercifully to forgive and blot them out of remembrance; that it may please him graciously to afford his blessings on the governments of these states respectively, and prosper the public council of the whole; to inspire our commanders both by land and sea, and all under them, with that wisdom and fortitude which may render them fit instruments, under the providence of Almighty God...

https://wallbuilders.com/proclamatio...ving-day-1777/
            But perhaps they meant Odin...
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
              Actually Roy, the majority did mean the Christian God since the majority were Christian. I mean what other god in that time could they be referencing Allah?
              The deity of the deists.

Comment

The deity of the deists.
                That would be the Judeo-Christian God --- they just saw him more as the clock-winder, though still relying on his Divine Providence.

It's complicated.

Comment

The deity of the deists.
                  So a majority of Deists sent out one of the first National Thanksgiving Day Proclamations referencing forgiveness through Christ Jesus? Remember this Continental Congress is populated by the very Founders in question.
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                    Right and Jefferson was one man and his separation of church and state has no force in law.
                    There have been numerous decisions by the US Supreme Court confirming the 'Separation of Church and State' as Jefferson understood it to mean.

https://infidels.org/library/modern/...decisions.html

And your link is right Connecticut is my state, and we had a Church tax, to support the state Church. State supported churches lasted into the 1830s. They simply fell by the way side, not because they violated the Establishment Clause.
                    Yes, they violated the Establishment Clause as has been subsequently ruled by the courts.
                    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ignorant Roy View Post
                      It's a straightforward concept which I understand perfectly well - probably better than you do. I disagree with it.

It's not my fault you're too stupid to understand the difference between disagreement and lack of comprehension.
                      You disagree because you do not comprehend.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

There have been numerous decisions by the US Supreme Court confirming the 'Separation of Church and State' as Jefferson understood it to mean.

https://infidels.org/library/modern/...decisions.html

Yes, they violated the Establishment Clause as has been subsequently ruled by the courts.
                        Right by leftists courts who ignore the actual wording of the Constitution. CONGRESS shall make no LAW. And tell me Tass, what exactly did Jefferson mean?

Comment

There have been numerous decisions by the US Supreme Court confirming the 'Separation of Church and State' as Jefferson understood it to mean....
                          ...while they continue to pay chaplains and begin their own meetings with prayer and support military chaplains.....

Are you really this dense?

Comment

...while they continue to pay chaplains and begin their own meetings with prayer and support military chaplains.....

Are you really this dense?
                            Remember, Tassman is Australian and only knows about US government from halfway around the world.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              Remember, Tassman is Australian and only knows about US government from halfway around the world.
                              He's been told this before, and apparently chooses to ignore it.

Comment

When in the United States I refer to "the Marines", do I need to specify that I'm referring to the US Marines, as opposed to the Royal Marines?

(And, not just the "Christian" God, but the Judeo-Christian God)
                                No - I know that when you write "God", you mean the Xtian one. But when Ben Franklin, Tom Jefferson and co write "Creator" ...?

Comment