Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Why I Voted For Trump...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
    I don't believe in a god seer, I'm sure you know that by now.
    Yet you believe all men were created equal? The same people who you claim wanted God out of government invoked that same God in declaring why we were rebelling against England. You can't have it both ways JimL.

Stop smoking the wacky weed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
      Then your fellows shouldn't write things like this: "Trump's promise to replace liberal judges with conservative ones was a big issue to me.".

Originalism makes sense to me, because language and meaning change over time. But there doesn't seem to be any reason why a liberal can't also be an originalist.
      Right, I don't know any liberal judges that are Originalists - they just happen to be conservatives.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Then your fellows shouldn't write things like this: "Trump's promise to replace liberal judges with conservative ones was a big issue to me.".
        Roy, "conservative", in this sense, refers to those who will stick to the constitution, and not try to force it to say something it does not say -- like Roe V Wade. Even many liberals admit there was no constitutional basis for that decision - it was clearly activist.

Originalism makes sense to me, because language and meaning change over time. But there doesn't seem to be any reason why a liberal can't also be an originalist.
        Yes, there are very clear reasons liberals can't be origionalists... because their whole platform is PROGRESSIVISM, which is antithetical to CONSERVATIVISM, or originalism, and must be ACTIVIST to "progress".
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Jim, seriously, when you make an ignorant statement like this....

Originally posted by JimL View Post
          It was if you read the Constitution properly. "All men are created equal-life liberty and the pursuit of happiness."
          ...in your latest bout of calling others "stupid" --- this is why you have ZERO credibility around here.

And when your error is pointed out....

Originally posted by JimL View Post
          Yes, my error, but they go together, the one informing the other.
          I have to give you kudos for admitting you were wrong -- but then you reinforce your incredulity by trying (and failing) to justify your error.

Just stop.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Ok, I'll respond.I'm not sure how modern science could possibly kick abortion's butt, unless you mean by pushing the date of foetal viability ever backwards.
            By exposing the lies... at our pregnancy center, every day women are astounded at how much the baby has developed because they can see the baby using modern technology. MOST of them will choose not to abort when they see what (who) it is they are killing.

Ok, it's highlighting the time-line of foetal development and showing the stages at which the brain develops and responsiveness and awareness occur, but the arguments for/against abortion are largely focussed on foetal vs parental rights anyway.
            Actually, in my book, they're based on the principle of the sanctity of human life.

But ok, I'll accept that there may be a two-pronged approach:
            1) Try to win the game
            2) Replace the referee with one of your own
            I know. I've always known.
            It's not a game - in any sense of the word.

What they do do is determine which laws should be upheld, and which rejected as unconstitutional.
            Actually, no. As JimL correctly pointed out, a case has to specifically be brought to them, usually after battling in lower courts. They don't determine "which laws should be upheld" -- they determine which cases presented to them are unconstitutional.

Those decisions can change the law. If, for example, a state has a law that prohibits e.g. smoking pot, and judges strike that law down as unconstitutional, then the law has changed* because something that was previously illegal is now legal.**
            That's a whole lot of word juggling -- they still don't "change the law" - they simply evaluate if it - or part of it - is unconstitutional.

So, here's my concession -- in the sense that a particular tenant or point or condition of a law is ruled unconstitutional, it has the effect of changing that law. For example, there have been times when a particular section of a law is deemed unconstitutional, and the rest of the law is dependent on that provision - then the law is rendered toothless. HOWEVER, it is then up to the legislative body who wrote that law to amend it, or abandon it.

Because if you're not going to appoint judges who make rulings based on their political and religious views rather than on the facts and merits of the cases before them, then what's the point of appointing judges with particular political/religious views? If judges are going to decide cases based purely on facts and law, then you'd expect conservative and liberal judges to reach the same conclusions. The only reason to specifically appoint conservative judges is so that they will decide cases based on their conservatism, not on legal principles.
            No. The "conservative" judge is, by nature, originalist. Most of us conservatives simply want the judges to "stick to the constitution" and the law - not be activists.

It could be argued that the aim is to replace judges that are deciding cases based on liberalism, but that would fail because you wouldn't need to replace them with conservative judges, only unbiased ones.
            Progressive activist judges need to be removed/replaced.

Oh, and there have been examples of judges, even SCOTUS ones, producing verdicts based on their religion - such as Scalia and Rehnquist's opinion in Edwards v Aguillard that a law that mandated teaching young earth creationism didn't have a religious purpose.
            I'd have to look at that - not really familiar with it.

It's the stated strategy.

1) Vote for Trump, because he will ...
            2) ... appoint conservative judges, who will
            3) ... uphold laws against abortion.
            Stated by whom? Certainly not by me!

*By whatever mechanism is used to remove downstruck laws.
            **I am astonished that you and the others do not understand this.
            You're simply playing word salad, Roy --- but enjoy your astonishment, misplaced though it may be.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              By exposing the lies... at our pregnancy center, every day women are astounded at how much the baby has developed because they can see the baby using modern technology. MOST of them will choose not to abort when they see what (who) it is they are killing.
              I've noted before how the advent of sonogram or ultrasound technology has been a game changer.

Bernard Nathanson, co-founder in 1969 of the National Association for the Repeal of Abortion Laws (NARAL) and one time director of New York City’s Center for Reproductive and Sexual Health said it was what led him to change his mind and become strongly pro-Life.

And now, when combined with 3D printing technology even a blind mother can "see" how the baby inside her isn't some invasive clump of cells but is a living human being.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Back in the 80s when I was still a pagan I took a friend to have an abortion (not my kid BTW). She regretted it the rest of her life. She even celebrated a chosen birthday every year. She died a few years back after coming to Christ. She is now with her baby...
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  I've noted before how the advent of sonogram or ultrasound technology has been a game changer.

Bernard Nathanson, co-founder in 1969 of the National Association for the Repeal of Abortion Laws (NARAL) and one time director of New York City’s Center for Reproductive and Sexual Health said it was what led him to change his mind and become strongly pro-Life.

And now, when combined with 3D printing technology even a blind mother can "see" how the baby inside her isn't some invasive clump of cells but is a living human being.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39764[/ATTACH]
                  Wow, hadn't heard about the 3D printing with regards to .... wow.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                    Back in the 80s when I was still a pagan I took a friend to have an abortion (not my kid BTW). She regretted it the rest of her life. She even celebrated a chosen birthday every year. She died a few years back after coming to Christ. She is now with her baby...
                    A "so sad" but "amen" story!

Comment

A "so sad" but "amen" story!
                      I think abortion has a negative psychological effect on women that no one wants to talk about. They know in their hearts, that was their baby...

Comment

• also science disproves the notion that the baby is a part of the mother, so she can do whatever she wants with her body.

Comment

Now that I'm done laughing at this stupidity....

In the Declaration of Independence...
                          1. “When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature’s God entitle them...
                          2. “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights...
                          3. “We, therefore, the Representatives of the United States of America, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world...
                          4. “And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor.”

FOUR TIMES, Jimmy, we have references to God in the Declaration of Independence. So, as to your statement " the one informing the other".... do you wish to revise and extend your remarks?
                          Apparently, CP, you're just to ignorant to understand the difference between refering to a god and refering to the god of a specific religion.

Comment

I think abortion has a negative psychological effect on women that no one wants to talk about. They know in their hearts, that was their baby...
                            Yeah, I guess you would know better than the women themselves, seer.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                              Yeah, I guess you would know better than the women themselves, seer.
                              Even from a purely evolutionary perspective we can see that in mammals, the urge to protect and nurture the young is very powerful in most females of the species. That there are typically emotional elements associated with killing your own that are going to affect women in ways men are not going to understand is not at all unexpected. And I think CP, seer, others have observed that, and I think that it is not at all uncommon for a woman that has had an abortion to have deep and long lasting regrets. And it is something that should not be ignored, or kept hidden as a possible consequence, when counseling a woman faced with an unexpected or unwanted pregnancy.

Jim
                              Last edited by oxmixmudd; 09-18-2019, 03:34 PM.
                              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Well then we are not all CREATED equal.
                                Use the term you prefer. We are born, we come into being, or are created out of nothing. I perfer the former two definitions seeing as only those conform to what we know. But it's only semantics.

Comment