Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Why I Voted For Trump...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seer View Post
    I think abortion has a negative psychological effect on women that no one wants to talk about. They know in their hearts, that was their baby...
    I believe research has been done on that, but, if I recall, it was discounted because it was pro-life people who did (or funded) the research. We KNOW that the abortionists would never fund or publish anything negative.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
      Apparently, CP, you're just to ignorant to understand the difference between refering to a god and refering to the god of a specific religion.
      Jimmy, honey, it would be "referring". I'm trying not to expose your stupidity, but when you launch into calling others stupid or ignorant, it comes back on you. (and it would be "too" ignorant )

Now, try to use your noggin --- you had already admitted that the founders were largely Christian -- so whose God do you think they were talking about?

Honestly, sometimes it looks like you stand there and yell "OK, hold my reefer and watch me type THIS!!!!"
      Last edited by Cow Poke; 09-18-2019, 03:48 PM.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Yet you believe all men were created equal?
        Born with the same rights, Sparko. Read and understand the context. It's true that the Founders, most of them at least, believed in god, but that's irrelevant to the point being made. The point is that we are all born with the same rights, the right to life, Liberty and the Pursuit of happiness.

The same people who you claim wanted God out of government invoked that same God in declaring why we were rebelling against England. You can't have it both ways JimL.
        Irrelevant to the point. The point is that their intent was to build a wall between government and religion. Now, I know you all disagree with that and, like some Muslim countries, would like to be ruled by a Christian theocracy. But that's exactly what the Founders didn't want.
        Stop smoking the wacky weed.
        You should try it, it might help.

Comment

Use the term you prefer. We are born, we come into being, or are created out of nothing. I perfer the former two definitions seeing as only those conform to what we know. But it's only semantics.
          The Declaration of Independence was very clear --- CREATED. You call others stupid for not being able to read the document properly, and not only did you have the WRONG document, but you can't seem to comprehend that they were talking about Nature's God, the Creator, the Supreme Judge of the world, Divine Providence....

Your preference is a result of your anti-Christian bias, Jim.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            Stop smoking the wacky weed.
            Originally posted by JimL View Post
            You should try it, it might help.
            A) that sounds like an admission
            2) if it's actually "helping" you, I'd hate to see you function without it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              The Declaration of Independence was very clear --- CREATED. You call others stupid for not being able to read the document properly, and not only did you have the WRONG document, but you can't seem to comprehend that they were talking about Nature's God, the Creator, the Supreme Judge of the world, Divine Providence....

Your preference is a result of your anti-Christian bias, Jim.
              Try to follow what I actually say before jumping to conclusions, CP. I know what they said, what they wrote, what many of them believed. I understand that they were mostly religious men who, like you, believe we are created by a god, not born of nature, but it's irrelevant to the main point. Their main point was that under this government we are all born with the same rights regardless of religious preference, or whether we believe in god or not..

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                I think abortion has a negative psychological effect on women that no one wants to talk about. They know in their hearts, that was their baby...
                Abortion has a devastating impact on both the mother AND the father, but you're right, liberals keep it under wraps.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Try to follow what I actually say before jumping to conclusions, CP. I know what they said, what they wrote, what many of them believed.
                  Well, you had to be dragged there kicking and screaming, but....

I understand that they were mostly religious men who, like you, believe we are created by a god, not born of nature, but it's irrelevant to the main point.
                  Yes, CREATED -- by a CREATOR. Maybe you're getting it.

Their main point was that under this government we are all born with the same rights regardless of religious preference, or whether we believe in god or not..
                  No, that was NOT the "main point" - that was one of MANY points, and they ALSO believed in the blessings of this God in the form of "Divine Providence".

And, while we're at it, there is no evidence whatsoever that they did NOT mean "the Judeo-Christian" God.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                    Even from a purely evolutionary perspective we can see that in mammals, the urge to protect and nurture the young is very powerful in most females of the species. That there are typically emotional elements associated with killing your own that are going to affect women in ways men are not going to understand is not at all unexpected. And I think CP, seer, others have observed that, and I think that it is not at all uncommon for a woman that has had an abortion to have deep and long lasting regrets. And it is something that should not be ignored, or kept hidden as a possible consequence, when counseling a woman faced with an unexpected or unwanted pregnancy.

Jim
                    I think every woman is different and are effected differently. It depends on the woman. No doubt some may regret in the future the decision they made, but most are fully aware of the choice they are making and don't look at it as killing a baby. I know, that's how you and the anti-abortion side see it, but they don't see it that way which is why your side is always trying to convince them that they are killing a baby. If they agreed with you, then they probably wouldn't be having the procedure done in the first place.
                    Last edited by JimL; 09-18-2019, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Well, you had to be dragged there kicking and screaming, but....

Yes, CREATED -- by a CREATOR. Maybe you're getting it.

No, that was NOT the "main point" - that was one of MANY points, and they ALSO believed in the blessings of this God in the form of "Divine Providence".

And, while we're at it, there is no evidence whatsoever that they did NOT mean "the Judeo-Christian" God.
                      Egad. Of course from their own perspective they believed the god that they were referring to was the God that they believed in. They didn't say that though did they? They didn't write that in the document did they? See if you can figure out why?

Comment

Egad. Of course from their own perspective they believed the god that they were referring to was the God that they believed in. They didn't say that though did they? They didn't write that in the document did they? See if you can figure out why?
                        They didn't have to - they knew that anybody with a brain would know that.
                        Last edited by Cow Poke; 09-18-2019, 04:20 PM.

Comment

I think every woman is different and are effected differently. It depends on the woman. No doubt some may regret in the future the decision they made, but most are fully aware of the choice they are making and don't look at it as killing a baby. I know, that's how you and the anti-abortion side see it, but they don't see it that way which is why your side is always trying to convince them. If they agreed with you, then they probably wouldn't be having the procedure done in the first place.
                          Jim, the fact is that even the woman who thinks she's "fully aware of the choice" can find out after the fact that it was a horrible choice.

After all, there is no attempt by the abortionist to educate her to the down side of abortion.

Comment

Born with the same rights, Sparko. Read and understand the context. It's true that the Founders, most of them at least, believed in god, but that's irrelevant to the point being made. The point is that we are all born with the same rights, the right to life, Liberty and the Pursuit of happiness.
                            If there is no God and it is just evolution and survival of the fittest then there is no "all are equal" - by definition. The weakest are dominated by the powerful. Slavery is a perfect example of this.

Irrelevant to the point. The point is that their intent was to build a wall between government and religion. Now, I know you all disagree with that and, like some Muslim countries, would like to be ruled by a Christian theocracy. But that's exactly what the Founders didn't want.

Well at least you got that last part right. They were against a Theocracy. Which would be a state run religion. But as the declaration of independence and the fact that they had religion IN the government, they were not against religion in government, just a Government run Religion.

Comment

Perhaps I can help you out a bit here. MAYBE you're confused by "religion" as meaning a denomination as opposed to "Christianity" in general. Virtually all of the religions in America at that time believed in the Judeo-Christian God. Hence, there was no need to specify "which God".

The Dansbury Baptist Association was not concerned about "Christianity" in general, but the particular sect of the founders of the colony - the denomination. Jefferson assured them that there would not be a "state church" (as in a particular denomination) but you can tell by his "churchy language" (I reciprocate your kind prayers for the protection & blessing of the common father and creator of man, and tender you for yourselves & your religious association, assurances of my high respect & esteem.) that he was NOT shutting down "God in general".

You'll probably need to cogitate on that a bit.

Comment

They didn't have to - they knew that anybody with a brain would know that.
                                Yeah, I guess the many deists amongst the Founders, Jefferson, Franklin, Paine etc, agreed, eh?

Comment