Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Never Forget...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    No Muslim friend of mine ever argued that those terrorists did anything good, if anything they hate them more than you do, because they've caused the world to fear them unjustly.
    I would guess that's true with the vast majority of Muslims, Leon -- I was looking up some statistics to prove otherwise, and - especially in non-Muslim countries - there is a lot of that sentiment, where Muslims hate that other Muslims are doing acts of terror in the name of Allah.

Still, in other countries - Muslim dominated - there is dancing and celebrating in the streets that "the Great Satan" has been dealt a blow.

I don't think you'll really find large communities of Christians celebrating any Christian who commits a terrorist act in the name of Christ.

Leave a comment:

• Leonhard
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    A) If a "Christian" commits murder or terrorism in the name of Christ, the VAST majority of Christians will quickly and clearly condemn it as NOT Christian.
    Or claim that the person isn't a Christian, because Christian people don't do that.

2) If a Muslim commits murder or terrorism in the name of Allah, he is celebrated around the world as a warrior for Jihad.
    We must be reading about other Muslims, because those I'm aware of do not celebrate that stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Leonhard
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Difference being that Christianity calls for peace while Islam calls for violence.
    Neither of that is true. War is perfectly okay, even mandated by Christianity in certain circumstances, no one except the earliest Church Fathers believed that before you became a Christian you had to renounce and repent of having been a soldier. Which is what they made the early centurion do, and not for any association with the roman religions either.

Not only is it okay, in the context of Christian morals, to engage in war to protect your borders. It is also okay to engage in war to conquer in certain contexts when you're defeating an enemy that is threatening you.

I will grant that both the Quran and the Hadith have more specific charges about what to do with territories that are conquered, and its more fertile soil if you want to quote mine, but I know of no serious Islamic scholar who condones terrorism. Violent Wahabi Jihadist misquote their passages worse than Christian slave traders quoted Biblical passages in defense of what they're doing. You'll find more support for a persons right to own a slave if you're a Christian, than you will for committing terrorism if you're a Muslim.

No Muslim friend of mine ever argued that those terrorists did anything good, if anything they hate them more than you do, because they've caused the world to fear them unjustly.

Leave a comment:

• Charles
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFdGe_b7Slo

When asked directly by a reporter, she pivots and answers something completely different. She has been asked this before, even accused by Trump of being Pro-Al Queda yet she will not condemn them.
    Nope. She is not asking something completely different. There is a very interesting point in what she says:

Rep. Ilhan Omar refused to answer whether she supports the Islamist terrorist group al-Qaeda, at a press conference Monday.

“I will not dignify it with an answer because I know that every single Islamophobe, every single person who is hateful, who is driven by an ideology of ‘othering’ as this president is, rejoices in us responding to that and us defending ourselves,” Omar said.
    And it goes on:

“I do not expect every time there is a white supremacist who attacks or there is a white man who kills in a school or in a movie theater, or in a mosque, or in a synagogue, I don’t expect my white community members to respond on whether they love that person or not. And so I think it is beyond time, it is beyond time to ask Muslims to condemn terrorists. We are no longer going to allow the dignification of such ridiculous — ridiculous statement,” she said.
    https://thefederalist.com/2019/07/16...mic-terrorism/

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    She refuses to tie the terrorism to Islam, which I support her in. At least if all muslims should share guilt in that terrorist act, then all Christians should share guilt in every murder, or act of terrorism committed by Christians anywhere.
    Two things are different...

A) If a "Christian" commits murder or terrorism in the name of Christ, the VAST majority of Christians will quickly and clearly condemn it as NOT Christian.
    2) If a Muslim commits murder or terrorism in the name of Allah, he is celebrated around the world as a warrior for Jihad.

At least if we're to be consistent, which is something seer is obsessed about being.
    See above.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    She refuses to tie the terrorism to Islam, which I support her in. At least if all muslims should share guilt in that terrorist act, then all Christians should share guilt in every murder, or act of terrorism committed by Christians anywhere.

At least if we're to be consistent, which is something seer is obsessed about being.
    Difference being that Christianity calls for peace while Islam calls for violence.

Leave a comment:

• Charles
    replied
    Originally posted by seer View Post
    Does "some people did something" sound like she is condemning Islamic terrorism?
    The statement that I was asking Sparko to support was this: "She still refuses to condemn Al Quaeda or Islamic terrorism."

Can you give us an example, seer? He is not saying "she does not" he is saying "she still refuses".

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by Charles View Post
    I am asking him to support a statement he made. He said: "She still refuses to condemn Al Quaeda or Islamic terrorism." To ask him to provide a source in which she actively refuses to condemn the terrorists is not to ask him to prove a negative.

I am not saying he cannot do it. Only that I would like to see what he bases his statement on.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFdGe_b7Slo

When asked directly by a reporter, she pivots and answers something completely different. She has been asked this before, even accused by Trump of being Pro-Al Queda yet she will not condemn them.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    I am asking him to support a statement he made. He said: "She still refuses to condemn Al Quaeda or Islamic terrorism." To ask him to provide a source in which she actively refuses to condemn the terrorists is not to ask him to prove a negative.

I am not saying he cannot do it. Only that I would like to see what he bases his statement on.
    Does "some people did something" sound like she is condemning Islamic terrorism?

Leave a comment:

• Charles
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Charles, you're asking somebody to prove a negative. That's not how this works.

How bout you provide a quote where she DOES condemn the terrorists.

Leave a comment:

• Leonhard
    replied
    She still refuses to condemn Al Quaeda or Islamic terrorism.

Leave a comment:

• Charles
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Indeed. Her tweet was very careful not to explicitly identify or condemn the attackers.

Right to some extent but she calls it "an attack on all of us." She also calls it "the largest terror attack on U.S. soil."

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Source?
    Charles, you're asking somebody to prove a negative. That's not how this works.

How bout you provide a quote where she DOES condemn the terrorists.

Leave a comment:

• Charles
    replied
    She still refuses to condemn Al Quaeda or Islamic terrorism.
    Source?

Leave a comment: