Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Never Forget...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never Forget...

69680249_136937327566376_2261577731936354304_n.jpg
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Mike Rowe
    September 10, 2018 ·

"We're Going to Do Something."

You’ve been very quiet about the Kaepernick PR disaster at Nike. Any thoughts? - Sam Wilder

Hi Sam. Nike's free to celebrate whomever they wish, and Kaepernick is entitled to his opinion - kneeling, standing, or lying down. But if I was going to put someone's face on a billboard - someone who epitomized bravery and sacrifice - I might have gone another way, especially this time of year. I might have gone with this guy - Tom Burnett.

Tom's last act on earth was one of the most courageous things imaginable. And his last words to his wife, Deena, are among the most inspiring I've ever heard. Those exact words are at the top of this page, and the bottom. They were spoken seventeen years ago, under conditions I hope to never experience. I'll never forget Tom's last words. I hope you won't either.

Transcript of Tom's Last Calls to Deena

6:27 a.m.( pacific time) First cell phone call from Tom to Deena

Deena: Hello
    Tom: Deena
    Deena: Tom, are you O.K.?
    Tom: No, I’m not. I’m on an airplane that has been hijacked.
    Deena: Hijacked?
    Tom: Yes, They just knifed a guy.
    Deena: A passenger?
    Tom: Yes.
    Deena: Where are you? Are you in the air?
    Tom: Yes, yes, just listen. Our airplane has been hijacked. It’s United Flight 93 from Newark to San Francisco. We are in the air. The hijackers have already knifed a guy, one of them has a gun, they are telling us there is a bomb on board, please call the authorities. He hung up.

6:31 Deena calls 911
    6:34 The phone rang in on call waiting, Tom’s second cell phone call.

Deena: Hello
    Tom: They’re in the cockpit. The guy they knifed is dead.
    Deena: He’s dead?
    Tom: Yes. I tried to help him, but I couldn’t get a pulse.
    Deena: Tom, they are hijacking planes all up and down the east coast. They are taking them and hitting designated targets. They’ve already hit both towers of the World Trade Center.
    Tom: They’re talking about crashing this plane. (a pause) Oh my God. It’s a suicide mission…(he then tells people sitting around him)
    Deena: Who are you talking to?
    Tom: My seatmate. Do you know which airline is involved?
    Deena: No, they don’t know if they’re commercial airlines or not. The newsreporters are speculating cargo planes, private planes and commercial. No one knows.
    Tom: How many planes are there?
    Deena: They’re not sure, at least three. Maybe more.
    Tom: O.K….O.K….Do you know who is involved?
    Deena: No.
    Tom: We’re turning back toward New York. We’re going back to the World Trade Center. No, wait, we’re turning back the other way. We’re going south.
    Deena: What do you see?
    Tom: Just a minute, I’m looking. I don’t see anything, we’re over a rural area. It’s just fields. I’ve gotta go.

6:45 a.m. Third cell phone call from Tom to Deena

Tom: Deena
    Deena: Tom, you’re O.K. (I thought at this point he had just survived the Pentagon plane crash).
    Tom: No, I’m not.
    Deena: They just hit the Pentagon.
    Tom: (tells people sitting around him “They just hit the Pentagon.”)
    Tom: O.K….O.K. What else can you tell me?
    Deena: They think five airplanes have been hijacked. One is still on the ground. They believe all of them are commercial planes. I haven’t heard them say which airline, but all of them have originated on the east coast.
    Tom: Do you know who is involved?
    Deena: No
    Tom: What is the probability of their having a bomb on board? I don’t think they have one. I think they’re just telling us that for crowd control.
    Deena: A plane can survive a bomb if it’s in the right place.
    Tom: Did you call the authorities?
    Deena: Yes, they didn’t know anything about your plane.
    Tom: They’re talking about crashing this plane into the ground. We have to do something. I’m putting a plan together.
    Deena: Who’s helping you?
    Tom: Different people. Several people. There’s a group of us. Don’t worry. I’ll call you back.

6:54 a.m. Fourth cell phone call to Tom to Deena

Deena: Tom?
    Tom: Hi. Anything new?
    Deena: No
    Tom: Where are the kids?
    Deena: They’re fine. They’re sitting at the table having breakfast. They’re asking to talk to you.
    Tom: Tell them I’ll talk to them later.
    Deena: I called your parents. They know your plane has been hijacked.
    Tom: Oh…you shouldn’t have worried them. How are they doing?
    Deena: They’re O.K.. Mary and Martha are with them.
    Tom: Good.

(a long quiet pause)

Tom: We’re waiting until we’re over a rural area. We’re going to take back the airplane.
    Deena: No! Sit down, be still, be quiet, and don’t draw attention to yourself! (The exact words taught to me by Delta Airlines Flight Attendant Training).
    Tom: Deena! If they’re going to crash this plane into the ground, we’re going to have do something!
    Deena: What about the authorities?
    Tom: We can’t wait for the authorities. I don’t know what they could do anyway.
    It’s up to us. I think we can do it.
    Deena: What do you want me to do?
    Tom: Pray, Deena, just pray.

(after a long pause)

Deena: I love you.
    Tom: Don’t worry, we’re going to do something...

http://www.tomburnettfoundation.org/

from: https://www.facebook.com/TheRealMike...90919067584892
    Last edited by Sparko; 09-11-2019, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      "We're Going to Do Something."
      Just heartbreaking!
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

I had been up all night adding servers to a server farm for a client. My wife had gone to Houston with me, and was at the hotel. About 4 AM, I got to the room, and fell sound asleep.

Next thing I knew, I was awake, surprised that she was sitting on the bed watching what looked like some kind of action adventure horror movie. Again, I was a little surprised, because she isn't typically into those.

As I became a little more awake, I asked an odd question .... "is that REAL?"

She said, quite sadly, "it must be - it's on every channel!!"

She began flipping channels, and, sure enough.... it was real.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The next morning we heard jets. We thought the no fly thing was lifted, we all ran out of the shop to look - the ones we first heard had passed, then came two more - F16s flying low and slow, with a full load of missiles under the wings.... Sobering...

Comment

I was at work, designing web sites, when my mom called me and told me to turn on the TV. We had one in the office and I turned it on and me and the boss just sat there stunned, watching it. I thought it was an accident when the first plane hit, then knew it was an attack when the second one did.

I still tear up when I think about the people who died that day and their stories.

On Mike Rowe's (the Dirty Jobs guy) facebook post above, if you click on it and read the comments, the wife Deena, and their daughter Halley both comment on his post. They are still living with this tragedy as are countless others.

Comment

The New York Times blames airplanes.

https://www.breitbart.com/the-media/...enter-on-9-11/
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                The New York Times blames airplanes.

https://www.breitbart.com/the-media/...enter-on-9-11/
                Great. Now AOC has a new reason to eliminate them.

Now what can they blame the cows for? Hmmm...

Comment

Ilhan Omar has tweeted this today:

September 11th was an attack on all of us.

We will never forget the thousands of Americans who lost their lives in the largest terror attack on U.S. soil.

I will continue to fight to make sure we care for the first responders and families who lost loved ones. #NeverForget
                  https://twitter.com/IlhanMN/status/1171785865519075333
                  "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]39680[/ATTACH]
                    Why are you sticking the photo of Omar into that picture from 911?

Jim
                    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                      She still refuses to condemn Al Quaeda or Islamic terrorism.

Comment

Indeed. Her tweet was very careful not to explicitly identify or condemn the attackers.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Source?
                          "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                            Source?
                            Charles, you're asking somebody to prove a negative. That's not how this works.

How bout you provide a quote where she DOES condemn the terrorists.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              Indeed. Her tweet was very careful not to explicitly identify or condemn the attackers.

Right to some extent but she calls it "an attack on all of us." She also calls it "the largest terror attack on U.S. soil."

Comment