Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Never Forget...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    I remember asking Cow Poke why he never criticises Conservatives, and he answered "Because they're already criticised by the leftists all the time, so I don't have to"
    You really don't think CP ever criticizes conservatives? He does it all the time.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

    Comment


    • #77
      Originally posted by Charles View Post
      And:
      As Sparko correctly pointed out, she is quick to condemn white supremacists, Trump, and Israel but when it comes to the group responsible for nearly all of the worst incidents in the past few decades, then the indignant hemming and hawing begin.

      ETA: Oh and "Error 404-Page NOT Found"

      I'm always still in trouble again

      "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

      Comment


      • #78
        Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
        Why are you allowed to apply context, interpretation and exegesis to the Bible, but the Quran has to be interpreted the same way atheists interpret the Bible?
        Don't you mean how leading Islamic scholars have interpreted for centuries and continue to do so when not addressing "infidel" listeners?

        I'm always still in trouble again

        "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

        Comment


        • #79
          Anywho...




          I'm always still in trouble again

          "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

          Comment


          • #80
            Originally posted by Charles View Post
            And:
            And yet she was right there with the democrats admonishing Trump for not immediately condemning the White Supremacists in Charlotte. And not denouncing David Duke immediately.

            Comment


            • #81
              Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              That is one of the verses abrogated by the forced conversion verses. It is a practice called naskh ("abrogation") where later revelations supersede or nullify earlier once that they contradict. ... -- and nearly all Muslim scholars agree that the Surah Bara'ah (the ninth) was the very last surah in the Qur'an that was revealed (although a few say it was al-Nasr or surah 110)
              This doctrine can only be applied when you know which Surah abrogates what. Its the same in the Bible, except as it's laid out in chronological order (except for some of the Old Testament), we can see when Jesus, for instance, declares that divorced people cannot remarry, or that it is now permissible to ignore the laws of cleanliness, etc.

              For the Quran its not at all clear. Ask around and you will get several answers. Most scholars I have found argue that it is indeed al-Nasr which is the last Surah revealed. It is also popular to consider verse three of Al-Ma'ida to be the last revelation, this is the basic outlook of the Sunni muslims which number at 90% of all muslims. The only places I find the argument that the ninth Surah is the last one, are ones made by Christians in criticising Islam.

              There's also simple historical problem in that for most of history people just didn't forcefully convert, not even during conquest by muslims. They no more forcefully converted than people did when Christians came to conquer America, or settle colonies in various places (where they did sometimes perform forced baptism - regardless of scriptural merit or not). Eventual homogenization happened, which is not at all mysterious to me.

              As a further note, the concept of taqqiya (or idtirar) comes into play far too frequently among Islamic scholars
              But this begs the question if I show you a majority of scholars in the West saying that its al-Nasr, you'll argue that they're employing a secret strategy of lying. After all this notion that taqqiya is applied universally by Muslims as a get out of jail free card, is in itself an act of islamophobia. And borders on the kind of conspiracy theories Christians used to have about the jews.

              Comment


              • #82
                Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                As Sparko correctly pointed out, she is quick to condemn white supremacists, Trump, and Israel but when it comes to the group responsible for nearly all of the worst incidents in the past few decades, then the indignant hemming and hawing begin.
                That is your interpretation. I would say it is more than codemnation. Insisting that the question is so absurd that it does not deserve an answer seems to make it clear to anyone what she thinks about them. Unless, of course, you want to interpret it in the least favourable way.

                Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                ETA: Oh and "Error 404-Page NOT Found"
                Sorry: https://thefederalist.com/2019/07/16...mic-terrorism/

                Enjoy
                "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And itís an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

                Comment


                • #83
                  Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                  The Bible has an entire section where God Himself called openly for genocide. And that it was explicit genocide as well, with even children being killed as part of the order.



                  So does the Bible, and for most of Christian history being an atheist or criticizing Christianity was a capitol offense.



                  If you actually believed this sentence, you ought to be a Muslim.

                  Islam is made up. There isn't any divinely mandated Islam out there. So this sentence of yours is complete nonsense. There are at least five major branches of Islam, and within those various disagreements with each other. There is more diversity with the Islamic community over interpretation than there is between Christian churches. The gulf seperating a Suffi from a Wahabi is so vast they practically consider each other as being different religions.
                  God's very specific and limited commands to Israel to kill entire nations wasn't for the purpose of spreading Judaism but, rather, was God using Israel as his instrument of punishment. Unlike Islam, our scriptures contain no general, open-ended commands to kill unbelievers, and certainly you will find nothing saying that we should take up arms and kill any who refuse to submit to Christ.

                  The Koran is pretty clear about what is expected from its followers, and Mohammad set the example. I suppose you can argue that Islam is just a made up religion and that people are free to interpret and follow it however they want, but that's generally not how religions work, and certainly not how Islam has worked for the vast majority of its history.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God


                  From "Fools Gold" by Petra

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                    I remember asking Cow Poke why he never criticises Conservatives, and he answered "Because they're already criticised by the leftists all the time, so I don't have to"
                    I am also criticised all the time. By Cow Poke among others. I assume he is going to stop based on his principle.
                    "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And itís an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                      This doctrine can only be applied when you know which Surah abrogates what. Its the same in the Bible, except as it's laid out in chronological order (except for some of the Old Testament), we can see when Jesus, for instance, declares that divorced people cannot remarry, or that it is now permissible to ignore the laws of cleanliness, etc.

                      For the Quran its not at all clear. Ask around and you will get several answers. Most scholars I have found argue that it is indeed al-Nasr which is the last Surah revealed. It is also popular to consider verse three of Al-Ma'ida to be the last revelation, this is the basic outlook of the Sunni muslims which number at 90% of all muslims. The only places I find the argument that the ninth Surah is the last one, are ones made by Christians in criticising Islam.

                      There's also simple historical problem in that for most of history people just didn't forcefully convert, not even during conquest by muslims. They no more forcefully converted than people did when Christians came to conquer America, or settle colonies in various places (where they did sometimes perform forced baptism - regardless of scriptural merit or not). Eventual homogenization happened, which is not at all mysterious to me.
                      As previously pointed out the ninth Surah, the one that contains the verse (ayat) of the Sword, is considered either the last surah written (they're organized not in chronological order but IIRC their length) or very close to it. In any case, it abrogates any earlier verse that contradicts it.

                      Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                      But this begs the question if I show you a majority of scholars in the West saying that its al-Nasr, you'll argue that they're employing a secret strategy of lying. After all this notion that taqqiya is applied universally by Muslims as a get out of jail free card, is in itself an act of islamophobia. And borders on the kind of conspiracy theories Christians used to have about the jews.
                      I'll get back to this later with examples but I'm likely not going to be able to do so tonight.

                      I'm always still in trouble again

                      "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        God's very specific and limited commands to Israel...
                        Nope, you're not allowed to argue with context and exegesis, if you don't extend the same right to Muslims.

                        The Koran is pretty clear ... and certainly not how Islam has worked for the vast majority of its history.
                        There are five major branches of Islam, within those there are further distinctions. In the vast majority of history, people have not undergone forced conversion, and most muslims don't believe that people should be forced to believe.
                        Last edited by Leonhard; 09-11-2019, 05:09 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          As previously pointed out the ninth Surah, the one that contains the verse (ayat) of the Sword, is considered either the last surah written (they're organized not in chronological order but IIRC their length) or very close to it. In any case, it abrogates any earlier verse that contradicts it.
                          You're not interacting with the quote at all, so I'll repeat it.

                          For the Quran its not at all clear. Ask around and you will get several answers. Most scholars I have found argue that it is indeed al-Nasr which is the last Surah revealed. It is also popular to consider verse three of Al-Ma'ida to be the last revelation, this is the basic outlook of the Sunni muslims which number at 90% of all muslims. The only places I find the argument that the ninth Surah is the last one, are ones made by Christians in criticising Islam.

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            Originally posted by Charles View Post
                            I am also criticised all the time. By Cow Poke among others. I assume he is going to stop based on his principle.
                            Annnh, don't be such a baby - we have had very cordial conversations on at least ... um... one or two occasions!
                            "Neighbor, how long has it been since youíve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?Ē

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                              Nope, you're not allowed to argue with context and exegesis, if you don't extend the same right to Muslims.



                              There are five major branches of Islam, within those there are further distinctions. In the vast majority of history, people have not undergone forced conversion, and most muslims don't believe that people should be forced to believe.
                              Muslims are allowed to use context and exegesis when interpreting their scriptures. I'm not sure why you think they don't. The problem is that this does nothing to mitigate the Koran's very explicit commands to kill unbelievers, and the example of Mohammad in carrying out these commands.

                              I really have no problem with Muslims ignoring some of their own theology and history, but then one begins to wonder why they still follow Islam at all.
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God


                              From "Fools Gold" by Petra

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                Muslims are allowed to use context and exegesis when interpreting their scriptures. I'm not sure why you think they don't. The problem is that this does nothing to mitigate the Koran's very explicit commands to kill unbelievers, and the example of Mohammad in carrying out these commands.
                                Except when you apply even a little exegesis, you quickly run into it being a lot more complex than "kill the infidel", you run into a historical situation where conversion is almost never under threat (Wahabi Islam is a very recent phenomenon). You can look above to Rogue06, who has to argue specifically for the order of revelation happening in a certain way, in order to argue that forced conversion is to be norm.

                                So no, you're not applying any context, nor are you trying to learn about what Muslim scholars in the West are arguing. It just looks like to me that you want to do quote-mining on Islam, and use that against them in exactly the same way that atheists quote mine the Bible.

                                Comment

                                Related Threads

                                Collapse

                                Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by Christian3, Today, 02:14 PM
                                6 responses
                                56 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seanD
                                by seanD
                                 
                                Started by seer, Today, 02:00 PM
                                1 response
                                26 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Ronson
                                by Ronson
                                 
                                Started by CivilDiscourse, 10-24-2020, 08:17 AM
                                10 responses
                                92 views
                                1 like
                                Last Post CivilDiscourse  
                                Started by LiconaFan97, 10-23-2020, 04:56 PM
                                32 responses
                                202 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seer
                                by seer
                                 
                                Started by Juvenal, 10-23-2020, 11:08 AM
                                10 responses
                                103 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Juvenal
                                by Juvenal
                                 
                                Working...
                                X