Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Massive Muslim Immigration...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    That's a cowardly way of demanding others "do something" while hiding behind this phony veil of secrecy. As they say, either put up or shut up.
    No, it's not. I'm not going to go around demanding your tax returns or your level of charitable giving during a policy debate.

It's not only irrelevant, it's gauche.

--Sam
    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
      No, it's not.
      Is so.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Evangelical Christians were lynching young black boys because they talked to a white girl at one point but, sure, go on.
        You really think they were Christians?
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          You really think they were Christians?
          Well, they sure weren't Scotsmen, I can tell you that.

--Sam
          "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Well, they sure weren't Scotsmen, I can tell you that.

--Sam
            You believe murder is consistent with Christianity?
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Have you been to Amish Country in Pennsylvania and Ohio? They've assimilated quite well, and have become rather capitalist, Jim.
              Most muslims I know in this country have assimilated at least as well as the amish.

Jim
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                You believe murder is consistent with Christianity?
                No, it's not. Which would be the point.

Jim
                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Have you been to Amish Country in Pennsylvania and Ohio? They've assimilated quite well, and have become rather capitalist, Jim.
                  And I notice you avoided the issue orthodox jews, cut it clean out. Now why would you do that ...

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                    No, it's not. Which would be the point.

Jim
                    He's pursuing a "No True Scotsman" argument, where he can define both what constitutes a "genuine Christian" and what constitutes a "genuine Muslim" in order to create a wide theological or cultural impact gap.

--Sam

Comment

And I notice you avoided the issue orthodox jews, cut it clean out. Now why would you do that ...
                      And the Amish definitely haven't assimilated. They have integrated, while maintaining their decidedly-separate religious and cultural habits.

But folks will, on the other hand, refuse to treat "assimilation" and "integration" as different things when it comes to certain others.

--Sam

Comment

Most muslims I know in this country have assimilated at least as well as the amish.

Jim
                        Muslims have assimilated pretty well in the U.S. Not so much in Europe.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Muslims have assimilated pretty well in the U.S. Not so much in Europe.
                          "In Europe" is too broad to make the claim; assimilation success varies by countries and even regions. Many, many reasons for that - including structural support/resistance, local community support/resistance, economic support/stagnation.

Which is why I asked why you reduced it down to a blanket desire among the group(s) to not integrate.

--Sam

Comment

I did - especially with the Ultra-Orthodox. And you really need an explanation?
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

"Well, what are YOU doing?" is and will continue to be a fallacious method of debating public policy issues, or even wide cultural phenomena.

Demanding to know specifics regarding someone's personal finances and/or charity is not appropriate; very few of us have that level of familiarity with others here -- and they can have those conversations face-to-face.

--Sam
                              When someone decides to school someone else on charity, it is indeed appropriate to ask them about their own charitable methods.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                When someone decides to school someone else on charity, it is indeed appropriate to ask them about their own charitable methods.
                                I think this is where Sam and I got crossways way back when --- he began yelling "Credentialism".

It's a convenient way to avoid defending your own position.

Comment