Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump the Needler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump the Needler

I'm hearing a lot from some Trump supporters that POTUS intentionally says or does stupid stuff to provoke more TDS. It's like a chess move, is how they describe it. But I don't think this is true, or if it is, how effective a strategy it is. Case in point, Trump's weird defense of the Dorian map marked with Sharpie to show the storm possibly hitting Alabama. The result wasn't more TDS but rather a slew of hilarious Sharpie memes.

https://imgur.com/gallery/1JI26zQ

I think the simple explanation in this particular case is he has an inability to admit to being wrong on anything, and he has no grander strategy than that. He's spent six consecutive days tweeting about it by this point, and given that he is obviously, provably wrong in this case, there's no discernable strategy I can imagine.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      I think the simple explanation in this particular case is he has an inability to admit to being wrong on anything, and he has no grander strategy than that. He's spent six consecutive days tweeting about it by this point, and given that he is obviously, provably wrong in this case, there's no discernable strategy I can imagine.
      That flaw would seem to counter the gains of his provocative strategy, if indeed it's a strategy at all and not just chronic gaffeism (like Biden has).

I think it might just be wishful thinking on his supporters' part.

Comment

Ah, I was hoping this thread was about President Trump's needlepoint hobby.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

What a disgrace. His cavalier treatment of the truth caused confusion an distraction as multiple states prepared for a major emergency. And now, he can't even admit he made a mistake, let alone apologize for it. I'm so angry that I had to vote for this morally-depraved idiot.

If anyone is curious about the details of this incident, I found a good article written by a meteorologist. https://arstechnica.com/science/2019...e-forecasters/
          "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
            I'm hearing a lot from some Trump supporters that POTUS intentionally says or does stupid stuff to provoke more TDS. It's like a chess move, is how they describe it. But I don't think this is true, or if it is, how effective a strategy it is. Case in point, Trump's weird defense of the Dorian map marked with Sharpie to show the storm possibly hitting Alabama. The result wasn't more TDS but rather a slew of hilarious Sharpie memes.

https://imgur.com/gallery/1JI26zQ
            roberts2-e1567718703873.jpg

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post
              What a disgrace. His cavalier treatment of the truth caused confusion an distraction as multiple states prepared for a major emergency. And now, he can't even admit he made a mistake, let alone apologize for it. I'm so angry that I had to vote for this morally-depraved idiot.

If anyone is curious about the details of this incident, I found a good article written by a meteorologist. https://arstechnica.com/science/2019...e-forecasters/
              He was briefed on an earlier model. And NBC shows exactly that.

And, no, it DID NOT. We heard more about Ivey's time as an Auburn student than about the stupid map controversy.

What pisses ME off is that you think Alabamians - and Southerners in general - are too stupid to look at a weather report! NONE of our media or agencies panicked over the model WHEN IT WAS VALID!!!! Certainly not over the president's stupid map. We didn't do anyhing we wouldn't have done anyway - hurricane readiness starts well before the path is certain.

GAAH!!!! This is so infuriating!!!! We live with freaking tornadoes and we get our share of hurricanes - WE ARE NOT ALL MORONS!!!!
              Last edited by Teallaura; 09-06-2019, 07:05 PM.
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                He was briefed on an earlier model.
                That doesn't excuse him later fabricating data

ETA: He was shown a map including Alabama, but if he wanted to physically show evidence that he was right, he should have shown that map, not altered another existing map.
                Last edited by KingsGambit; 09-06-2019, 07:11 PM.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

He was briefed on an earlier model. And NBC shows exactly that.

And, no, it DID NOT. We heard more about Ivey's time as an Auburn student than about the stupid map controversy.

What pisses ME off is that you think Alabamians - and Southerners in general - are too stupid to look at a weather report! NONE of our media or agencies panicked over the model WHEN IT WAS VALID!!!! Certainly not over the president's stupid map. We didn't do anyhing we wouldn't have done anyway - hurricane readiness starts well before the path is certain.

GAAH!!!! This is so infuriating!!!! We live with freaking tornadoes and we get our share of hurricanes - WE ARE NOT ALL MORONS!!!!
                  Teallaura, I didn't imply that anyone other than Trump was a moron. His initial Tweet isn't what offends me, it's his subsequent follow-up tweets that were even more inaccurate. He has an inability to keep his mount shut (and speak the truth). And this lead to distraction in the media about something that wouldn't have been an issue if he hadn't made it one. My concern is that the distraction of the press during such a major disaster has potentially serious consequences....not because people can't watch the news, but because if the news isn't accurately reporting information in a timely manner, people may not even have access to that information.
                  "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

That doesn't excuse him later fabricating data.
                    When? The map in question was based on that briefing - he later stated the model changed while explaining why he'd mentioned Alabama.

Seriously, this is the stupidest controversy ever.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

When? The map in question was based on that briefing - he later stated the model changed while explaining why he'd mentioned Alabama.

Seriously, this is the stupidest controversy ever.
                      No, the map he showed was a later map issued with the Alabama part visually added in a different tone - with one aide confirming it was his handwriting.

It's not a stupid controversy. Altering a weather map is a federal offense. Weren't you just arguing in the other thread that the rule of law requires prosecution of crimes?

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post
                        Teallaura, I didn't imply that anyone other than Trump was a moron. His initial Tweet isn't what offends me, it's his subsequent follow-up tweets that were even more inaccurate. He has an inability to keep his mount shut (and speak the truth). And this lead to distraction in the media about something that wouldn't have been an issue if he hadn't made it one. My concern is that the distraction of the press during such a major disaster has potentially serious consequences....not because people can't watch the news, but because if the news isn't accurately reporting information in a timely manner, people may not even have access to that information.
                        I know you mean well - but you're still calling us all morons. No one looks to the president for weather reports - and no agency is so screwed up that they don't know who to call for an update - and it's not the WH.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I know you mean well - but you're still calling us all morons. No one looks to the president for weather reports - and no agency is so screwed up that they don't know who to call for an update - and it's not the WH.
                          I don't see anything in myth's post that implies anything about people in Alabama in particular. In fact, IIRC, he is from the Deep South himself.

Comment

Also Teal....I'm a southerner, born and bred.Still live in the south, and my state is currently experiencing the impact of Dorian.

Comment

No, the map he showed was a later map issued with the Alabama part visually added in a different tone - with one aide confirming it was his handwriting.

It's not a stupid controversy. Altering a weather map is a federal offense. Weren't you just arguing in the other thread that the rule of law requires prosecution of crimes?
                              Stupidly interpreting the law also undermines it - altering a map for official release (the ones the law concerns) is not the same thing as drawing on an official map. No one - totally irrespective of the DOJ's finding - would EVER be prosecuted for taking a sharpie to a map like that. That's not what the law is about.

Whoever drew on it was imitating an earlier map - there's literally no rational way to make that into an attempt to commit fraud.

You and Sam were just discussing a serious issue that is a valid criticism as a freaking side note. But you think Sharpiegate matters?!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment