Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump the Needler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KingsGambit
    replied
    Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    When? The map in question was based on that briefing - he later stated the model changed while explaining why he'd mentioned Alabama.

Seriously, this is the stupidest controversy ever.
    No, the map he showed was a later map issued with the Alabama part visually added in a different tone - with one aide confirming it was his handwriting.

It's not a stupid controversy. Altering a weather map is a federal offense. Weren't you just arguing in the other thread that the rule of law requires prosecution of crimes?

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    That doesn't excuse him later fabricating data.
    When? The map in question was based on that briefing - he later stated the model changed while explaining why he'd mentioned Alabama.

Seriously, this is the stupidest controversy ever.

Leave a comment:

• myth
    replied
    He was briefed on an earlier model. And NBC shows exactly that.

And, no, it DID NOT. We heard more about Ivey's time as an Auburn student than about the stupid map controversy.

What pisses ME off is that you think Alabamians - and Southerners in general - are too stupid to look at a weather report! NONE of our media or agencies panicked over the model WHEN IT WAS VALID!!!! Certainly not over the president's stupid map. We didn't do anyhing we wouldn't have done anyway - hurricane readiness starts well before the path is certain.

GAAH!!!! This is so infuriating!!!! We live with freaking tornadoes and we get our share of hurricanes - WE ARE NOT ALL MORONS!!!!
    Teallaura, I didn't imply that anyone other than Trump was a moron. His initial Tweet isn't what offends me, it's his subsequent follow-up tweets that were even more inaccurate. He has an inability to keep his mount shut (and speak the truth). And this lead to distraction in the media about something that wouldn't have been an issue if he hadn't made it one. My concern is that the distraction of the press during such a major disaster has potentially serious consequences....not because people can't watch the news, but because if the news isn't accurately reporting information in a timely manner, people may not even have access to that information.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    He was briefed on an earlier model.
    That doesn't excuse him later fabricating data

ETA: He was shown a map including Alabama, but if he wanted to physically show evidence that he was right, he should have shown that map, not altered another existing map.
    Last edited by KingsGambit; 09-06-2019, 07:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    Originally posted by myth View Post
    What a disgrace. His cavalier treatment of the truth caused confusion an distraction as multiple states prepared for a major emergency. And now, he can't even admit he made a mistake, let alone apologize for it. I'm so angry that I had to vote for this morally-depraved idiot.

If anyone is curious about the details of this incident, I found a good article written by a meteorologist. https://arstechnica.com/science/2019...e-forecasters/
    He was briefed on an earlier model. And NBC shows exactly that.

And, no, it DID NOT. We heard more about Ivey's time as an Auburn student than about the stupid map controversy.

What pisses ME off is that you think Alabamians - and Southerners in general - are too stupid to look at a weather report! NONE of our media or agencies panicked over the model WHEN IT WAS VALID!!!! Certainly not over the president's stupid map. We didn't do anyhing we wouldn't have done anyway - hurricane readiness starts well before the path is certain.

GAAH!!!! This is so infuriating!!!! We live with freaking tornadoes and we get our share of hurricanes - WE ARE NOT ALL MORONS!!!!
    Last edited by Teallaura; 09-06-2019, 07:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    Originally posted by whag View Post
    I'm hearing a lot from some Trump supporters that POTUS intentionally says or does stupid stuff to provoke more TDS. It's like a chess move, is how they describe it. But I don't think this is true, or if it is, how effective a strategy it is. Case in point, Trump's weird defense of the Dorian map marked with Sharpie to show the storm possibly hitting Alabama. The result wasn't more TDS but rather a slew of hilarious Sharpie memes.

https://imgur.com/gallery/1JI26zQ
    roberts2-e1567718703873.jpg

Leave a comment:

• myth
    replied
    What a disgrace. His cavalier treatment of the truth caused confusion an distraction as multiple states prepared for a major emergency. And now, he can't even admit he made a mistake, let alone apologize for it. I'm so angry that I had to vote for this morally-depraved idiot.

If anyone is curious about the details of this incident, I found a good article written by a meteorologist. https://arstechnica.com/science/2019...e-forecasters/

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Ah, I was hoping this thread was about President Trump's needlepoint hobby.

Leave a comment:

• whag
    replied
    Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I think the simple explanation in this particular case is he has an inability to admit to being wrong on anything, and he has no grander strategy than that. He's spent six consecutive days tweeting about it by this point, and given that he is obviously, provably wrong in this case, there's no discernable strategy I can imagine.
    That flaw would seem to counter the gains of his provocative strategy, if indeed it's a strategy at all and not just chronic gaffeism (like Biden has).

I think it might just be wishful thinking on his supporters' part.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    I think the simple explanation in this particular case is he has an inability to admit to being wrong on anything, and he has no grander strategy than that. He's spent six consecutive days tweeting about it by this point, and given that he is obviously, provably wrong in this case, there's no discernable strategy I can imagine.

Leave a comment:

• whag
    started a topic Trump the Needler

Trump the Needler

I'm hearing a lot from some Trump supporters that POTUS intentionally says or does stupid stuff to provoke more TDS. It's like a chess move, is how they describe it. But I don't think this is true, or if it is, how effective a strategy it is. Case in point, Trump's weird defense of the Dorian map marked with Sharpie to show the storm possibly hitting Alabama. The result wasn't more TDS but rather a slew of hilarious Sharpie memes.

https://imgur.com/gallery/1JI26zQ