Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

NYT - Trump Administration Considers a Drastic Cut in Refugees Allowed to Enter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYT - Trump Administration Considers a Drastic Cut in Refugees Allowed to Enter

Scripture Verse: Deut. 10:16-20, NASB

So circumcise your heart, and stiffen your neck no longer. For the LORD your God is the God of gods and the Lord of lords, the great, the mighty, and the awesome God who does not show partiality nor take a bribe. He executes justice for the orphan and the widow, and shows His love for the alien by giving him food and clothing. So show your love for the alien, for you were aliens in the land of Egypt. You shall fear the LORD your God; you shall serve Him and cling to Him, and you shall swear by His name.

© Copyright Original Source

We know what God has commanded in terms of the refugee, the dispossessed, and the desperate who come to our land. We know that this is not the way to Christ, himself a refugee to Egypt. We're told that this is a way of ruin.

At what point does the harm inflicted on refugees and asylum-seekers become intolerable?

Source: Trump Administration Considers a Drastic Cut in Refugees Allowed to Enter the U.S. Julie Hirschfeld Davis & Michael D. Shear. NYT. 2019.09.06

The White House is considering a plan that would effectively bar refugees from most parts of the world from resettling in the United States by cutting back the decades-old program that admits tens of thousands of people each year who are fleeing war, persecution and famine, according to current and former administration officials.

In meetings over the past several weeks, one top administration official has proposed zeroing out the program altogether, while leaving the president with the ability to admit refugees in an emergency. Another option that top officials are weighing would cut refugee admissions by half or more, to 10,000 to 15,000 people, but reserve most of those spots for refugees from a few handpicked countries or groups with special status, such as Iraqis and Afghans who work alongside American troops, diplomats and intelligence operatives abroad.

Both options would all but end the United States’ status as one of the leading places accepting refugees from around the world.

© Copyright Original Source

--Sam
    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

That was written to a theocracy. This isn't.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
      We know what God has commanded in terms of the refugee, the dispossessed, and the desperate who come to our land. We know that this is not the way to Christ, himself a refugee to Egypt. We're told that this is a way of ruin.

--Sam
      By all means lets follow the Old Testament:

If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them. (Leviticus 20:13)
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

You know Jesus was effectively fleeing from Vermont to Pennsylvania, right? I take a dim view of twisting Scripture to support one's political views.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
          This seems like a selective interpretation of when USA should adopt and adhere to Christian principles, no?

--Sam
          "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            You know Jesus was effectively fleeing from Vermont to Pennsylvania, right? I take a dim view of twisting Scripture to support one's political views.
            Are you meaning in terms of geographical difference?

Comment

Only if we can enslave the alien...

Lev 25:44-46

44As for the male and female slaves whom you may have, it is from the nations around you that you may acquire male and female slaves. 45You may also acquire them from among the aliens residing with you, and from their families that are with you, who have been born in your land; and they may be your property.46You may keep them as a possession for your children after you, for them to inherit as property. These you may treat as slaves, but as for your fellow Israelites, no one shall rule over the other with harshness.
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

This seems like a selective interpretation of when USA should adopt and adhere to Christian principles, no?

--Sam
                No. Theocratic decrees directly to the nation of Israel have nothing to do with the US.
                That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

In terms of governmental difference. Both areas were part of the Roman Empire.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

The church - however - is. And we are members of the church. And so our response must align with the statements made by the leader of our theocracy.

Jim
                    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                      The church - however - is. And we are members of the church. And so our response must align with the statements made by the leader of our theocracy.

Jim
                      But our GOVERNMENT is not. Therefore, we can not hold them to scriptural standards on refugees.
                      That's what
                      - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                        By all means lets follow the Old Testament:

If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them. (Leviticus 20:13)
                        funny how we are always more eager to follow the commands that ostensibly give us an excuse condemn and destroy others, whereas we tend to downplay or flat out ignore those command that require sacrifice in one form or another from us.

Jim
                        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

No. Theocratic decrees directly to the nation of Israel have nothing to do with the US.
                          I'm concerned with the notion that welcoming strangers is considered a "theocratic decree" and can so be dismissed as a matter of belief or practice that Christians don't need to bring into their respective political realms. Are all "decrees" from the Hebrew Scriptures considered this way?

--Sam

Comment

I'm concerned with the notion that welcoming strangers is considered a "theocratic decree" and can so be dismissed as a matter of belief or practice that Christians don't need to bring into their respective political realms.
                            When you understand that the US is not Israel, it clears up pretty quickly.

Are all "decrees" from the Hebrew Scriptures considered this way?

--Sam
                            Yes
                            That's what
                            - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

But our GOVERNMENT is not. Therefore, we can not hold them to scriptural standards on refugees.
                              Aren't Trump and Pence ostensibly Christians? Don't they have strong support from white Christians, especially Evangelicals?

Comment