Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Betsy Ross Flag: Symbol Of Hate!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    I love the flag of my country.
    Good for you, that is how it should be! Is that a Christian cross?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      Good for you, that is how it should be! Is that a Christian cross?
      It is indeed.

Comment

It is indeed.
        So your country is a bunch of bigots?
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          So your country is a bunch of bigots?
          I honestly don't care what people think of my country, or even what people within my country think of my flag. I'll wave it proudly. A psychotic murderer could kill an entire kindergarten with Dannebrog, and I would still celebrate with it the day after.

A flag is meant to bring people together.

I don't know anything about the Betsy Ross flag. Is it a local thing in that area? Using an obscure flag always seems weird to me. Or a bit overly local-patriotic. If I lived in the US I'd just flag that one you have on all your flag poles. Old Glory? Flag flying, in general, is not something you'll get me to stop.

Hippies or Islamists are burning the flag in a protest? Good for them. I don't care. I got another one right here.

Comment

I don't know anything about the Betsy Ross flag. Is it a local thing in that area? Using an obscure flag always seems weird to me. Or a bit overly local-patriotic. If I lived in the US I'd just flag that one you have on all your flag poles. Old Glory? Flag flying, in general, is not something you'll get me to stop.
            Though I guess it's debatable now, in school, most Americans were taught that the Betsy Ross flag was the first American flag. It's was presumably where the layout and design for the current American flag got its roots. The only main difference is that it had 13 stars (representing the 13 original colonies) rather than 50 (representing the current number of states). It's not a flag native normally associated with Utah or people in Utah, so I wouldn't consider it a local thing, per se. If anything, it'd probably be more "local" to areas like New England. And while most people simply wave the standard American flag, it's not a super unusual flag to wave either. I mean, plenty of people have waved it for years without issue before the current year. It's certainly not obscure.

As I understand it, it only became an issue to wave it when some black activist football player commented about it when Nike planned to put the design on their shoes. He stated that it was associated with racism, which is untrue. It's never been associated with racism. But Nike got nervous about any ill public relations, so they decided to cancel that design.

The whole thing is incredibly bizarre, but it's the state of the US today.

Comment

I honestly don't care what people think of my country, or even what people within my country think of my flag. I'll wave it proudly. A psychotic murderer could kill an entire kindergarten with Dannebrog, and I would still celebrate with it the day after.

A flag is meant to bring people together.

Hippies or Islamists are burning the flag in a protest? Good for them. I don't care. I got another one right here.

Good for you - I wouldn't give two cents for a man who does not support his flag (there are notable exceptions of course).

Comment