Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Media Ignores Climate Alarmist’s Court Loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    I'd be willing to wager that many of those that are posting these sorts of things and arguing for them are not trolls at all. I know CP, Sparko, Mossross are not trolls.
    Gorsh, you can say the sweetest things.

But rather, the money spent by the oil industry (others?) to help fund these sorts of pseudo-science has produced it's intent, much as the smoking 'research' that was used by the cigarrette industry to convince smokers their heart disease and lung cancer wasn't related to cigarrettes, that cigarette smoking was not addictive.

Jim
    Meh, I'm not "convinced" by anything the oil industry says or does - to me, it's more about the false prophets of climate change and their own hypocrisy. If they TRULY believed what they were preaching, would they be living like they're living?

But, thanks, Jim, for the kind words.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
      Says Ball, the defendant, the guy who got sued for saying Mann belonged in the state pen, smearing him using his university affiliation with the pedophile assistant football coach.

That's not info.

A lot of us thought the suit was a bad idea at the time. Free speech means people get to make stuff up, and Ball wasn't in a position to actually hurt Mann's rep. The pedophile smear just triggered him, I guess.

The guy dishes nothing but crap, anyway. Look at the graph.

One of those uses global data, one uses European, and the guy using Europe only is accusing Mann of cherry picking.

Leonhard pulled down the computer codes, too.
      well, I am sure Mann's version is using European data too since that is the only data we have from that time period (medieval warming).

You seem to be working overtime with the ad hom handwaving here.
      Last edited by Sparko; 08-30-2019, 11:25 AM.

Comment

It's in Civics because that's where he put it. It belongs in the Padded Room.
        More ad homs.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          That's like accusing you of hoarding/eating bacon.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
            ...the money spent by the oil industry government and politicians (others?) to help fund these sorts of pseudo-science has produced it's [sic] intent...
            Just a few minor changes to your quote...
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

(Just btw, I've got time to chat now because classes were just canceled through Tuesday. Typical for the lower peninsula, there's nowhere to run, so even at the worst, if it turns south, I'll be sheltering in place.)

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              You're acting in a rather juvenal manner, my friend.
              Like pulling a band-aid quickly, a sharper wit is less painful.

If you're seriously asking, and I seriously answer, I'd expect you to take my answer seriously, though I don't hold out much hope for that.
              After watching ya whoosh on the most famous satirist in history, I'm not expecting much either. You do that a lot, by the way. Start out with a smackdown and then dust off your pity play, ready to take umbrage at whoever smacks you back. There's a word for that ... childish, hmm, no, that's not quite it.

Serious answer -- because I still don't know what to think about it all. I've seen it grossly exaggerated by some of the non-scientist alarmists, like Al Gore, and the media seems to never tire of making just about any story 'climate related'. I know it's hot, and it certainly seems like we're in a much warmer time than when I was growing up.
              First, thanks, and I promise I'm going to take your serious bits seriously. And bonus, I'm going to take your pasture pies less so. Don't thank me. It comes with the perfect hair, no extra charge.

The "bells on" comment was a steal from sylas, cause only lesser artists borrow. If you don't remember him, think Lurch with even more infinite patience, but similar science chops. He was teaching at some uni down under back then. Followed up on one of the topics here with a published paper, even. Good bloke. Everyone here loves him. He represented the site at bandecoot's funeral.

The "bells on" comment was so uncharacteristic it's stuck in my brain forever. The guy deserved it, but still!

It's honestly difficult to get good info from the popular press. At the same time, it's really easy to get worse info. You could pull it from fringe hack sites for instance, he said, studiously ignoring the o/p. Not that you'd ever do that at your trollingest bestests, he jibed.

Here's a thought. If you don't know what to believe, how do you know what's grossly exaggerated? For instance, since you brought him up, the Al Gore image of New York underwater is likely correct, given the political realities, but he left out that it probably won't happen for a couple of centuries. Greenland could happen quickly, but it'll take some serious time for Antarctica to melt. So implicitly, it's an exaggeration, but was it really? He didn't include a timeline. A gross exaggeration? I'm not sure I'd go there, but knowing he was going to be smacked back, he could have been more cautious.

He's the politician, though, so I'll defer to his political instincts.

But I am not convinced that
              A) It is man caused
              2) That man can actually do anything about it

And I, personally, have always believed in good stewardship of the earth and the resources with which we are entrusted. I, personally, have done quite a bit in regards to energy conservation and personal stewardship, while I see many of the climate alarmists preaching with fervor that which they do not do themselves, and I see a ton of hypocrisy in that.
              Just because they're hypocrites doesn't mean they're alarmists.

(That's what an ad hom fallacy looks like, Sparko.)

You can't use the word "alarmist" in your thread title, then scatter it across all your subsequent posts, and then act like you didn't start the fight, preacher. Well, obviously, you can, but you can't do it and then cry in the corner because folks didn't take you seriously. Okay, you can do that too, but it would be ... hmm, what's the word?

Sharpen your wit.

But that's just another cow pie, I can walk around it.

START

On to the serious bits ...
              But I am not convinced that
              A) It is man caused
              2) That man can actually do anything about it

In a nutshell, from the topline SUMMARY FOR POLICYMAKERS (3.2MB PDF) , we know:
              Human influence on the climate system is clear, and recent anthropogenic emissions of greenhouse gases are the highest in history. Recent climate changes have had widespread impacts on human and natural systems. {1}

We know our activity is the largest factor in modern warming because 1) the C13/C12 ratio in the atmosphere says we put the CO2 there, and the forcing charts show 2) CO2 is by far the largest factor.

sylas, if he were here, would instead say 1) we know we put the CO2 there because we know how much CO2 we've put in the atmosphere from mining records, but I like the "do the math" solution: Coal comes from organisms that preferred C12 over C13, so when it's burned it drops the ratio in the atmosphere. Ice cores show what the ratio used to be, and then it's just a mixing problem, high school algebra stuff.

We know 2) CO2 is the largest factor because it's been measured. The heat balance equations use calculated "forcings," measured in watts per square meter, W/m^2, covering every subfactor that moves the needle, from cow farts to the aerosols in your shaving cream.

forcings.jpeg

STOP

There's a lot of work behind that chart, and it goes on quite a bit after the crop. Painstaking, time consuming work from dozens of folks for each line ... which is why some other folks have decided there's an advantage to going after individual researchers, because it steals their time. It's hard to get your work done while mobs are pounding at your door, hacking your emails, lying about they found there, even after a half-dozen formal inquiries which take yet more time out of your workday have cleared you.

Intended, unintended, whatever, promoting the story in the o/p makes you part of the mob, part of the problem. I really, honestly, cross my heart, wish there was a kinder, more courteous way to say that, but it can't be left unsaid. What you're doing is wrong. If we take you seriously.

So I mock and laugh instead. Can you blame me? I think it's kinder that way. What's your excuse?

It won't surprise me in the least if you mock that answer, or dismiss it, because that's what you seem to be all about, but it's my serious answer.
              You posted a partisan hack job, created to disrupt the work of a scientist, with no source documents other than statements from one side in the dispute. I'd like to think that's not who you want to be.

You want another serious response, no problem. Just chop out everything from "On to the serious bits ..." to the chart, and respond to that. Start at START, stop at STOP. Or you could keep trolling the "alarmists" and bashing serious scientists, like Mann, without checking your accusations before posting them, and I'll respond in kind.

I'm being "walked through it" when people like Lurch provide the information they provide in these DISCUSSIONS, and I have never (even though I'm accused of it often) been a "denier". I'm a skeptic.

Also, seriously, glad to see you around, even though, at times, I think you're only here for your own amusement to be an ass.
              Good to see you too, you old fart. If I didn't see something I can like about ya, I wouldn't bother answering back.
              Last edited by Juvenal; 08-30-2019, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Like pulling a band-aid quickly, a sharper wit is less painful.
                It was a play on your new username.

After watching ya whoosh on the most famous satirist in history, I'm not expecting much either. You do that a lot, by the way. Start out with a smackdown and then dust off your pity play, ready to take umbrage at whoever smacks you back. There's a word for that ... childish, hmm, no, that's not quite it....
                Lemme know when you actually want to have a reasonable discussion.

Comment

well, I am sure Mann's version is using European data too since that is the only data we have from that time period (medieval warming).
                  Umm, no.

Just FYI, global temperature reconstruction before the advent of thermometers by Fahrenheit in the 1700s was and is done using proxies, like tree rings. The Medieval Warming period was from 900 to 1300 AD.

On a related note, tree ring data, in particular, northern tree ring data, goes wonky after the start of the industrial revolution, moving away from other proxies they tracked with previously, creating a "decline" that didn't show up in any of the other proxies. "Mike [Mann's] Nature trick," from the hacked Phil Jones email, was to "hide the decline" by switching to thermometer data, because by the time the tree ring data had become seriously suspicious, we had better measures.

Clever, right?

You should be in awe at how well I type with my stumps, then.

Comment

It was a play on your new username.
                    Somewhere in Texas, there's a small child who didn't catch that. If she's missing, you should find her.

Lemme know when you actually want to have a reasonable discussion.
                    v.

Start out with a smackdown and then dust off your pity play, ready to take umbrage at whoever smacks you back. There's a word for that ... childish, hmm, no, that's not quite it.
                    Looks like we have to wait for Captain Obvious to explain that one to you, preacher.

Oh, and really, grow some skin. You can't call someone juvenile and then bitch because you get it tossed back at ya. Makes you look like you need a safe space.

Comment

Looks like we have to wait for Captain Obvious to explain that one to you, preacher.
                      No, I apologize.... I saw your jackass portion first, and just didn't feel like dealing with that -- AFTER I answered, I saw that you actually were taking time to respond.

Oh, and really, grow some skin. You can't call someone juvenile and then bitch because you get it tossed back at ya. Makes you look like you need a safe space.
                      I just get really tired of your condescending crap, but I'm remembering "that's you", it seems to be your shtick.

And, I didn't call you juvenile - I was playing on your username -- check the spelling.

Comment

No, I apologize.... I saw your jackass portion first, and just didn't feel like dealing with that -- AFTER I answered, I saw that you actually were taking time to respond.

I just get really tired of your condescending crap, but I'm remembering "that's you", it seems to be your shtick.

And, I didn't call you juvenile - I was playing on your username -- check the spelling.
                        He seems to flip between being considerate (like when he took the time to answer my post regarding the average temperature on the moon) and the ultra-sarcastic jerk he has been in this thread. I usually get along with him fine, but he can get on these 'rips' and then I just try to leave him be.
                        Last edited by Sparko; 08-30-2019, 02:35 PM.

Comment

He seems to flip between being considerate (like when he took the time to answer my regarding the average temperature on the moon) and the ultra-sarcastic jerk he has been in this thread. I usually get along with him fine, but he can get on these 'rips' and then I just try to leave him be.
                          I think he's unhappy because I don't show the proper respect for the incredibly brilliant and esteemed educator he is.

Comment

The alarmists will be here shortly to answer your concerns.
                            While God is punishing you, it is not wise to laugh in His face.
                            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                            “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                              While God is punishing you, it is not wise to laugh in His face.
                              At this point in my life, God is blessing me beyond my wildest expectations, and the resulting Joy does, at times, include laughter.

Comment

Just stop, CP. You saw my jackass portion first, because it was in response to your jackass portion which also came first. And the play on my username was a pun calling me juvenile ... as was mine in response saying no, that's not quite the word. The difference being the pun was totally lame, which, if you're taking notes, is what really sets me off. I want to deal with insults with pizzazz, dammit!

Okay, wait ... back up. Let's try that with courtesy again ...

You're so cute when you shuffle your feet like that.

Comment