Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Barry Laughs At Everyone But Himself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barry Laughs At Everyone But Himself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L7Q5OehdCY

Ohhhhh,man, guys, this guys funny right?......right?...guys?
    Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Thinking back on the whole birther thing, where almost every single conservative in the US either thought that Obama was illegitimate for presidency, or thought that there was something fishy with the birth certificate, or still do... its partially well deserved. That was ridiculous, and still is.

I remember several twebbers joining into that nonsense, though they'd temper it by saying "I don't know if he's from Kenya, but I think he's hiding something, so why isn't he just showing us the long form?"

I still get a bit of a chuckle thinking of him playing the Lion King intro as his birth video during one of his speeches. And of course letting the FOX news commentators know that this was in fact a Disney cartoon... the long form of it can be obtained from Disney.
    Last edited by Leonhard; 05-12-2014, 03:45 AM.

Comment

He's still the most thin-skinned public figure I have ever seen.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
        Thinking back on the whole birther thing, where almost every single conservative in the US either thought that Obama was illegitimate for presidency, or thought that there was something fishy with the birth certificate, or still do... its partially well deserved. That was ridiculous, and still is.

I remember several twebbers joining into that nonsense, though they'd temper it by saying "I don't know if he's from Kenya, but I think he's hiding something, so why isn't he just showing us the long form?"

I still get a bit of a chuckle thinking of him playing the Lion King intro as his birth video during one of his speeches. And of course letting the FOX news commentators know that this was in fact a Disney cartoon... the long form of it can be obtained from Disney.
        Really, "Every single conservative"? Oh, not to mention that the whole birther issue was actually started by the Clintons, not Republicans.
        Last edited by TimelessTheist; 05-12-2014, 07:57 AM.
        Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
          Really, "Every single conservative"? Oh, not to mention that the whole birther issue was actually started by the Clintons, not Republicans.
          On this forum I remember most conservatives, and they're about as level headed as it gets. The ones I was regularly talking to on chat did the same, which blew my mind. Just as most conspiracy theorists don't says that the Twin Towers were brought down by explosives "We're just pointing out that there's something fishy about the evidence", in a similar fashion most birthers kept with the "He's not showing us the long form, so he's probably hiding something". The thing that's being hidden of course is that he was born on Kenyan soil.

It was dumb, really, really dumb, it was mainly conservatives, it was the majority of conservatives and they really don't have any defence against it.

Of course that's not true any longer, as soon as the short form was shown the numbers dropped, when the long form was shown it dropped to a fringe. Though Donald Trump now wants Obama's college papers. This afterbirther movement I don't care about, they can stand in line with the 9/11 truthers, Kennedy assassination conspiary theoriests, illuminaty mongerers and other lunatic fringe movements.
          Last edited by Leonhard; 05-13-2014, 01:36 AM.

Comment

And the entire birther movement was started about McCain (folks like the New York Times thought it was a legitimate issue but dropped the issue like a hot potato when Obama became the Democrat front-runner) and the left was also bringing it up about Rubio until he released his birth certificate.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              And the entire birther movement was started about McCain (folks like the New York Times thought it was a legitimate issue but dropped the issue like a hot potato when Obama became the Democrat front-runner) and the left was also bringing it up about Rubio until he released his birth certificate.
              Well, yeah, but you're bringing up Republicans.. What does THAT have to do with....

oh
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                On this forum I remember most conservatives, and they're about as level headed as it gets. The ones I was regularly talking to on chat did the same, which blew my mind. Just as most conspiracy theorists don't says that the Twin Towers were brought down by explosives "We're just pointing out that there's something fishy about the evidence", in a similar fashion most birthers kept with the "He's not showing us the long form, so he's probably hiding something". The thing that's being hidden of course is that he was born on Kenyan soil.

It was dumb, really, really dumb, it was mainly conservatives, it was the majority of conservatives and they really don't have any defence against it.

Of course that's not true any longer, as soon as the short form was shown the numbers dropped, when the long form was shown it dropped to a fringe. Though Donald Trump now wants Obama's college papers. This afterbirther movement I don't care about, they can stand in line with the 9/11 truthers, Kennedy assassination conspiary theoriests, illuminaty mongerers and other lunatic fringe movements.
                Actually you're the dumb one. Obama had his publisher put his birthplace down as "Kenya". This was posted here before, though the thread is gone now. If Obama can pretend he was born in Kenya when he wants street cred then nobody has any right to call other people stupid when they suddenly decide they don't believe him when he claims he wasn't really born in Kenya. (No, I don't think he was actually born in Kenya, but I don't think there's anything wrong with being a Birther either when Obama himself lies like a rug about his birthplace whenever it suits him).
                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                  Actually you're the dumb one. Obama had his publisher put his birthplace down as "Kenya". This was posted here before, though the thread is gone now. If Obama can pretend he was born in Kenya when he wants street cred then nobody has any right to call other people stupid when they suddenly decide they don't believe him when he claims he wasn't really born in Kenya. (No, I don't think he was actually born in Kenya, but I don't think there's anything wrong with being a Birther either when Obama himself lies like a rug about his birthplace whenever it suits him).
                  You know, I was about to put that, but I wasn't actually sure how true it was. Is there a source for Obama lying about his birthplace?....not that it would surprise me that he lied.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

You know, I was about to put that, but I wasn't actually sure how true it was. Is there a source for Obama lying about his birthplace?....not that it would surprise me that he lied.
                    http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...et-in-use-2007
                    http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama...rs/booklet.asp

The publisher claims it was a "fact checking error", which is an utterly asinine explanation when you consider the "fact checking" involved in figuring out where your client was born:

"Hey Hussein, where were you born?"
                    "Uh, umm, let me be clear, I was born in Kenya."

Kenya and Hawaii are pretty much the same thing anyway, anybody could mix them up.
                    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

The publisher claims it was a "fact checking error"
                      The one thing on which you can ALWAYS expect him to be consistent --- he's a liar.

Comment

Actually you're the dumb one.
                        How original.

Obama had his publisher put his birthplace down as "Kenya".
                        According to the publisher that was a mistake (as you tacidly admit), so between a hypothesis that says that both the publisher and Obama are colluding in a conspiracy, and merely the publisher making a mistake, Occam's razor has that we should pick the one with where its just the publisher.

If Obama can pretend he was born in Kenya when he wants street cred then nobody has any right to call other people stupid when they suddenly decide they don't believe him when he claims he wasn't really born in Kenya. (No, I don't think he was actually born in Kenya, but I don't think there's anything wrong with being a Birther either when Obama himself lies like a rug about his birthplace whenever it suits him).
                        You talk more or less like an afterbirther. The way a typical 9/11 truther talks is like this "I don't know if the towers were really brought down by explosives... I'm just saying its weird that they fell down straight, and the government didn't let us examine the rubble and that its really crazy that a small group of people with a low education could hijack all those planes. And notice how conveniently this attack started a war... you can't say the military-industrial complex didn't have some powerful interests in starting this."

The evidence is massively, unidirectionally against him having been born on anything other than US soil. It quickly became so, and after that it just grew stronger.

At the start of the kerfuffle there was the slightest, thinnest ray of hope that this might just possible be true against all hope. It was already extremely improbable, because Obama would have to had basically gambled that he could hide his birthplace during the campaign and throughout his presidency.

Then Hawaii stated that the birth records showed that he originated there. The conspiracy should have died. This is all it would have taken to kill it. Somehow it didn't though, but that's usually the case with conspiracy theories. Then the short form of the birth certificate was shown. Still not enough, though this was a gratuitous amount of evidence. Conservatives on this forum were still speculating that he was born in Kenya, and doing it in the typical conspiracy tones "There's something odd about it... he's hiding something. He might be born in Kenya... or something else."

Then the long-form was released, and there were still people claiming it was odd. Wrong colour. After that it slowly died out, with a hardcore clinging to the notion that he hasn't shown us pictures from his childhood. If those were shown I'm sure they'd claim that they were obviously photoshopped.

There is a process that conspiracy theorists go through which is called anomaly hunting. Rather than seeing the big picture of where the evidence is going, they nitpick in minute details until some anomaly emerges that doesn't admit of an immediate explanation, and then they use this to call the rest into question. To a 9/11 truther, it might be that one of the windows of the Twin Towers suddenly exploded as it collapsed. There are hundreds of explanations of how this could happen, the lack of which does not support that it was brought down by explosives. The long form was on green paper rather than white, again this does not support a massive conspiracy between the Hawaiian government and Obama.

Its conspiracy nonsense, it was popular mainly with the conservatives who used it as a hope that Obama could be taken down from presidency even before his term had come to an end. It stopped being interesting to Democrats when he won the candidacy.

I can understand this desire, at least from the perspective of abortion and birth control, but I'm sorry, there's really no other rational thing to believe than that Obama is a US citizen, however bad a president he might be.
                        Last edited by Leonhard; 05-14-2014, 02:45 AM. Reason: Pesky typos

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          The one thing on which you can ALWAYS expect him to be consistent --- he's a liar.
                          Nick:
                          Exactly! That means Osama Bin Laden is alive and well, right?

Comment

According to the publisher that was a mistake (as you tacidly admit), so between a hypothesis that says that both the publisher and Obama are colluding in a conspiracy, and merely the publisher making a mistake, Occam's razor has that we should pick the one with where its just the publisher.
                            The assumption that Obama is a liar is not one without proof. It's a proven liar that he's a fact, thus, that assumption doesn't fit into Occam's Razor because it's not unproven.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

Originally posted by nickcopernicus View Post
                              Nick:
                              Exactly! That means Osama Bin Laden is alive and well, right?
                              The fact that somebody "is a liar" does NOT preclude them from occasionally stating the truth, especially when it suits their purposes.

Comment